$$$$ How much need I save for a trip to Alaska

Discussion in 'Americas' started by randyo, Jan 1, 2013.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADVn00b ajklik.

You'll probably only be able to find tires to fit your bike at a few different places in the Anchorage area and a couple other places in Fairbanks. If you know exactly what tires you want it would be a good idea to have them waiting up here for you.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, there are a lot of gravel pits and dirt side roads around Alaska that are fair game.

I think UA Anchorage may have started a similar room rental program as UAF last summer.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  3. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    question on elevation change & temperatures

does temperature drop dramaticly over Atigun Pass with elevation

here in NH on a hot 90° summer day, the Autoroad to Mt Washington can drop to the 30s, a 50 or 60 degree change in just a few miles
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's generally not that dramatic over Atigun, as the elevation chnage - until you begin the last climb on either side - is more gradual than what you've experienced down there. The most I've seen from the bottom to the top is about 15°F. But if you were talking about, say, from Coldfoot to the top of Atigun Pass (around 75 miles) - it could be 30° or so. Likewise from around Pump 3 on the north side to the top it might be 20°.

However, if you're already hovering near the freezing point, just a 10° difference can have quite an effect. From a little mist to snow in a couple of miles. I've gone from damp roads and 38° at the bottom of the climb on the south side to 28° and a blinding blizzard at the top.

And in the winter, with no wind and a temperature inversion, the top of Atigun may be the warmest spot on the entire Haul Road, as I have also experienced. My usual approach: Go as far as I safely can. If I have to turn around, I do so. Weather has never (yet) stopped me from reaching the top of the pass, but it has stopped me from going down the other side, as I value my hide. Ain't no destination worth dying for.
  5. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    DEADHORSE IN WINTER!!!! YOU better put a car tire on the back and big nobbies on the front or yu want make it!:D
  6. Digasi

Digasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He already does this.

I don't doubt that he can and is able to do this safely.

Best of luck Randyo
  7. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    it was kind of a joke with him...i read all of his car tire threads on stromtrooper :)
  8. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can see why a funeral home might want to sponsor such a ride:huh
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's ok cause lots of us post "with nothing to say":D
  11. jimtom

jimtom Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's what I'm talking about!
  12. jimtom

jimtom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would think a bike would be hard to crank at those temps. I didn't think I would ever get my dads Roadstar cranked in 5 degrees F one winter. I know it's a different animal than most bikes talked about in these posts but still...
  13. jimtom

jimtom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  14. jimtom

jimtom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for Randy or anyone. I don't have an adventure bike (yet). I have a Victory Vision. I ride all year commuting and recreation. My bike is heavy and I'm not. I'm curious as to how you ride on ice ? I'm not mocking . It;s the only thing that gives me trouble a few days out of the year for my commute.I'm guessing the kind of bike ridden makes a big difference but I would think any bike would fall out from under you on ice.
  15. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tires, steady pace (not necessarily slow either)

I've been riding in winter for several years, at first, just knobby tires, I didn't go out in active storms, but encountered a few yards or even a mile or 2 of snow/ice covered roads quite often

about 5 years ago was the first year I used studded knobbies (I drilled holes and inserted standard automotive studs with a pneumatic gun)

the difference was phenomenal, but still with 1000cc (V-strom) throttle control needed to be very precise even though the front tire hooked up well

my next experiment was with the darkside, an unstudded General Altimax Arctic in back, successful beyond my wildest expectations. With that and the studded knobby up front, riding became very relaxed, went out in an active blizzard just to see if I could, already 12" snow and coming down 3"-4"/hr, a few weeks later I rode to a meeting 75 miles from home, that evening on the return trip, freezing rain, sleet tuned to 7" snow by the time I got home, took maybe 20 minutes longer than it woulda in the summer, rode past several cages in ditch (also wreckers & leos) another week later, returning home form meeting over 100 miles away, freezing rain, again in the dark at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was the temperature in February. I rode to Prudhoe Bay in June.

[​IMG]
  17. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer: