How much planning needed for Alaska, really?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by NumberCruncher, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    YES!!

Well done sir, well done. I do hope to see your RR show up here and get the 'rest of the story'.
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    :y0!........ hey, what's going on here mister? Your first attempt bike is blue and your next attempt bike is silver/black . . .?

never mind. I'll try to sit quietly and wait for the story. :jjen
  3. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beginning the ride report now. I started out on my preferred bike, the F800GS. However when I began again and had to back track the first 350 miles, I decided to make it as easy on myself as I could I would take my R1200GS. I am a lucky man in that I have both of those machines. Truth be told I would have preferred the 800 for it's more off-road worthiness but I needed to help make those first few hundred miles different than they had been. The bike had nothing to do with me bailing on the first attempt. I'll post the URL to the ride report at the bottom of this post as soon as I get the first installment up today.

NC
    Zubb and texas_aggie like this.
  4. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
  5. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I get the nervousness thing. One of my concerns was a flat too....Then I had a flat rear on the TAT a few weeks ago in OK. Just came off the mud "from irrigation" for miles. As I pulled out on the small farmers road and there it was. My first flat that I would fix and not call AAA. I had the tools and luckily a spare tube (the flat tube had a cut a foot long). Sure it took me a couple hours to fix but I am glad it happened. It gave me the confidence to do it. Even while getting hammered by a thunderstorm....LOL.
    IMG_6441-2.JPG
    NumberCruncher and Zubb like this.
  6. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant stuff :clap:clap:clap:clap
  7. LONG DONGER

LONG DONGER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on the ride completion. Success is measured by how many times you get up after getting knocked down, and you did it. It does take a certain amount of guts to just admit your apprehensions on a forum of macho adventure riders, but you went and finished the ride. I am just now finding this report. So just how much shit did you wind up taking with you? :jack Wait, never mind, went and looked at your RR. HOLY CRAP!!!!

My experience, first ride in 2010, over planned, over packed, did not enjoy as much as I thought I would. Solo trip in 2013, way less planning, way less stuff (still too damn much) and had a blast. But like you, I left for Memorial day weekend ride with the guys in Colorado, then heading out from there to D2D. Got to thinking about how long I would be gone, just wasn't feeling the ride, so did an IBA ride home Mexican Hat. But I did then leave the following Saturday without much of a plan other than head north, but made it. Have to admit I was still having a little trepidation about leaving the US, but once I broke the gravitional pull of home, I was riding the wind, never looked back until 5 weeks later.

Congrats again on the ride, will now go look at your RR.

Peace out....
  8. NumberCruncher

Oddometer:
    Thanks peeps. I am actually a pretty confident person, most of the time anyway, which is why I don't mind being blunt and honest about the first attempt not working. IO am sure there are people in this world whose greatest adventure is watching tv who would call me out as a wimp and yet they won't even make an overnight trip in their lifetime.

Regroup and set out again.

NC
    Zubb likes this.