How much to pay?

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by twowheeledgator, Mar 24, 2019.

1. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    I have a coworker with an 1981 Suzuki TS 250 2-stroke. A few disclaimers:
    1. I love old bikes.
    2. I love two strokes.
    3. I currently don’t have an old two stroke.
    4. I want one.
    5. I like to tinker in the garage.

The bike has not been started for years. Chain is rusted over. Tires need replacing. I have not seen in the tank and I am told that it turns but schedule conflicts have prevented me from seeing it in person. All around old and faded. Seat taped. Elecs unknown. But it appears all there. It has a title.

He contacted me asking what he should post it for on CL but I wouldn’t mind having something like this to tinker with.
    I only see one on Craig’s List up north, a nice clean, low miles, indoor version for $1,500 firm.
    I don’t want to rip off my coworker nor do I want to pay too much and that is why I have come to you.
    Below are photos and please let me know what you think a fair price for this heap would be.
    5C83FE32-71FB-4267-BD48-A37550DEF9CC.jpeg 80757219-E568-4C0E-B7E8-57B38814D3EA.jpeg 219EA149-BC5D-4D05-867B-CB4428B94FD9.jpeg 6FB7C937-549D-4125-8A97-FDE607FF7C02.jpeg
  2. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    8C9183E7-3AE7-4069-988D-F14AD4DCFFBB.jpeg 42E44784-2016-4A7A-861E-1470DB15116C.jpeg CE22F3E9-D4F4-492C-BD9F-481C5792732A.jpeg 0F749413-D06A-4384-B61C-ADA8F3F2432D.jpeg
  3. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    5773E414-16DE-4328-B6B7-0A052C5D30C1.jpeg
  4. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it has a title I’d offer $500 for it.
    DCrider, Madhouse and Huzband like this.
  5. Flacrusher

Flacrusher So Many Bikes... So Little time

Oddometer:
    $500 too. Maybe!
    DCrider likes this.
  6. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    Lol.
    I have a few other coworkers who ride and deal.
    One said $650 if it runs and idles.
    The other said he should pay me $100 to haul it off for him.
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    It actually doesn't look too bad. I'd check into parts availability first. Guaranteed it'll need all the rubber parts replaced, namely intake boots. Depending what I found about parts would determine any offer to be made.
  8. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    It’d definitely be worth $650 if it runs/idles...but I agree with sperz and Flacrusher—$500 (IF you verify that it kicks over) is reasonable since it doesn’t run. However, I’m a KLRista and unreasonably cheap, so I’d wanna get it for half that, especially since there’s no telling how much work it’ll be to bring the wee beastie back to life. On the plus side, looks like it’s all there right down to the reflectors, and the odo only shows 4365 miles, so there’s that.

And Huzband is right, parts may be hard to come by, most certainly look into prices/availability:eyes
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve never been one to let $500 stand between me and a good time.
    As the old saying goes “ain't many troubles that a man caint fix with five hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
    Five franklins and load it up

Can you tell where I’m going with this?
  10. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but that’s a $200 bike max, as is. You’re gonna end up dropping some $$$$ on it.

But, yeah, it’ll be fun to work on and own.
  11. lt88

lt88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd feel like $300 if it doesn't run, needs new everything. Even if you do enough to just get it running could run another $500 + easy for parts/engine rebuild.
  12. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say $200-$300 range. You will easily put more money into it than it will be worth. But who can put a price on fun, eh? I recently purchased a one owner titled 1973 Kawasaki ke175 with 825 miles on the odo. Mine ran briefly but has some kind of electrical issue.
  13. John in Seattle

John in Seattle KLRista

Oddometer:
    First I respect that you are tying to get a *fair* price to your neighbor rather than trying to rip him off. This reflects favorably on you and the rest of us here; your neighbor is (or was) one of us and he should be treated that way and not treated as prey!

Sadly most bikes of that vintage and condition are worth more in bits than whole, unless the bike model is very popular with collectors and frequently even then. It looks too far gone to be cost-effectively restored to collector condition. So unless this bike represents your golden opportunity to recapture your lost youth :-) or unless Suzi two-smokes are suddenly in vogue at $500 you would probably get nothing for your labor if you "brought it back" to decent running and riding but not collector condition then sold on the bike for its then-current value ($1500-$2000 maybe?) I'm not a Suzi collector so don't know older Suzi values well. Sounds like you might end up spending a lot of time and money to get something that won't ride as well as more modern stuff and won't get your money out of should you decide to sell. So under this calculus you would be doing your neighbor a favor to take it home for nothing :-)

There seems to be consensus in this thread that maybe $500 sounds about right but...IF the tank is pristine AND IF two folks or more are in need of that pristine tank to complete their project....AND bidding against one another...THEN the *tank* might be worth that much. So under this way of thinking the bike is worth the sum of its bits less the work/cost/hassle to sell and ship the bits. I'm guessing that in bits it is not going to be easy to double your $500 investment cuz I bet that tank is not pristine, exhaust header doesn't look sound (might be though), seat pan not gonna be worth much, seat foam too far gone, ...wheels look iffy (check for corrosion underneath the spoke nipples)...wow good luck!

For the above reasons the bike wouldn't be worth $500 to ME if he was my next door neighbor but its not me that confessed to this litany of sins:

*I love old bikes.
    *I love two strokes.
    *I currently don’t have an old two stroke.
    *I want one.
    *I like to tinker in the garage.

Taking those confessions into account I'd say the value to YOU is going to make all the above logic moot; very, very moot.

So I'll close with some advice: I'd tell your coworker everything in this mail and then conclude that even though its probably not really worth much if anything as it sits *you* want it for all your confessed sins/reasons. Promise him that you won't hold it against him if you end up spending way too much money and time on it. Repeat that promise to him!

Don't be surprised if he gives it to you.

I had a coworker give me an old Yamaha under almost exactly the conditions above. I got lucky with the Yam too, about 5 hours of labor and some of my spares and its was running and riding really well but still looked rough. I sold it for $800 (to two brothers !?) .
    twowheeledgator and Dr.Z like this.
  14. twowheeledgator

twowheeledgator Dork

Oddometer:
    All your advise is appreciated. I will forward this page to him and see where we go from here.
  15. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    John in Seattle, you’re an articulate gentleman and a scholar, and I can’t argue with a single point you’ve made. After reading and reflecting upon your cold but rock-solid logic, I’ve decided that this fine specimen of Suzuki 2T technology is worth...
    A3EE6F86-5684-411F-BD6F-E5352F5DFEFB.jpeg

:lol2
  16. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most parts are still available for those. Yeah, finding a seat cover might mean you have to order on ebay from someone in Indonesia, but you can find them. The one bugger could be bottom end seals; if those have gone rotten, they require a full case split and many hours of wondering why two strokes existed. Those motors are pretty understressed, so I imagine everything else is in decent nick.

Smelly two strokes are always fun. $300-$400 could have yourself a pretty nice little project to braaap away on.
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Be sure to run bean oil in it so that you get the full effect!
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
  20. ineptizoid

Oddometer:
    Even better is this stuff:
    [​IMG]

Somebody (think it was Madhouse) brought some to Turkey Trot one year, and ran it in a 2-stroke genny...sure was funny seeing everybody sniffing the air like Cheech & Chong:lol2

Good times