[How To] Aim / Adjust CRF250L Rally LED Headlight

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kray, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Step 1) Consult owner's manual found under seat in plastic bag. Seat is lifted by removing the two Allen bolts on either side of rear seat.
    [​IMG]

Step 2) Skip searching for the Honda Toolkit Screwdriver. They couldn't pay for a real one in the manual photo and they didn't pay to put one in your toolkit.
    [​IMG]

Step 3) Mask off where your beam cutoffs are before adjustment and use these to make your adjustment. You can also use these to return back to where you started if you mess up. In the image below I have already made my adjustment.
    [​IMG]

Step 4) Measure the distance between the ground and the headlight reflector center with a rider onboard. Mine was approximately 42". We will call this measurement 'A'.

Step 5) Ideally you would be 25 feet away from a flat wall on a flat surface to do a proper adjustment. Work with what you have.

With your bike's headlight turned on and a rider still on the bike, measure the distance between the beam's top cutoff edge and the ground. We will call this measurement 'B'.

When adjusting, your goal is to have the beam's top cutoff lower than the reflector's height. This means the light is pointing down and won't blind incoming traffic. I had my wife sit on the motorcycle to make the adjustment.

Measurement A should be a larger number than measurement B by two to three inches.

More info here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Step 6) Grab a #2 Phillips head (the larger kind) and jam it up in the pinion assembly until tight. Turn accordingly to make necessary adjustment.
    [​IMG]
    Dao1 and Kartik like this.
  2. patratel

patratel n00b

Oddometer:
    .. I tried to find the right direction by 'trial and error'. The screw does not change the height of the beam (anymore), so what to do?.. I had the idea it didn't work the first time either.. By beam is too high and I need to lower it...
  3. PavelT

PavelT Honda CRF 250 Rally, Transalp 650

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I have the same problem, my beam is too high and I cannot adjust it lower. Even on Honda service they confirmed it is minimal low position. I will send an email to Honda, they must do some change and call these bikes back to service to solve this problem. Please write everyone who has the same problem to Honda and ask them to solve this problem under warranty.
  4. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Is your suspension setup properly?
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

Marshmallowy? Yep! Boingy boingy? Yep! Thatz not the izzue!
    Bitingdog and Anders- like this.
  6. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the question.. Can you repeat it for those of us in the back of the room?
    Anders- likes this.
  7. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Makes perfect sense, headlight is adjusted by tuning the suspension. That's reason for all those knobs, clickers and thingy-thingies on the bouncers :lol3 @Jenni

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog, Navin and CDN Rick like this.
  8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr El Gringo Spectacular

Oddometer:
    The Rally has a notoriously light suspension from the factory. I doubt a rider over 160# could get the headlight adjusted properly, given the suspension sag ends up pointing the beam up.

I adjusted mine all the way down. Once my new spring was installed on the bike, I readjusted the light to where I wanted it.

-H-
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    no doubt the problem gets worse as the back tire gets worn effectively lowering the rear end and pointing the headlight to the sky.....not that a rear tire is ever gonna wear out........but it could :lurk
    Anders- and Bitingdog like this.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

@Anders-

More likely itz the 23" front wheels on these things! Not sure why the suspenders wood matter, unless the headlight bucket has a hole and electric is dripping onto the forks? A dab of silicone should rectify that!
    Anders- likes this.
  11. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    ya gotta use dat dare halogen fluid compatible silicone right boss?

Wood Bee an environmental catastrophe otherwise?
    Anders- and Navin like this.
  12. PavelT

PavelT Honda CRF 250 Rally, Transalp 650

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am 90kg and I increased rear spring as much I can. Even without any bag on the bike light is almost horizontal.
  13. FishEagle79

FishEagle79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    Do any of you guys know how to replace the OEM headlight LED's for brighter ones?
    I found the light from mine is not very bright and also very patchy/spotty. Actually, the diffirence between low and high beam is barely noticable.
  14. John Kerry

John Kerry n00b

Oddometer:
    It seems the adjustment they ask you to do in the manual goes nowhere near close enough. I saw a bolt/screw on the other side of the headlight that is a 8mm size with a phillips head in the center. Seems to move the headlight a lot more than the other adjustment. I'm worried that loosening this is doing something to the headlight that it's not supposed to do. What do you guys think?