How to correct Beta clutch drag.

Discussion in 'Trials' started by lineaway, Apr 5, 2019.

1. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the clutch dragging? I picked up a 2020 Evo 300 2 weeks back and I have had zero drag issues. After 5 hours I changed the gearbox oil to Maxima 75w MTL-XL and the clutch feels even better.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  2. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    I think I'll put it back in. It's still hard to shift now, and after it warmed up the slipping stopped so I think a little slip when cold is a fair tradeoff for way better shifting and being able to get to neutral with the engine running.
  3. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.I think i'll wait till i get some time on it.(and the warranty is up)
    unospeeder likes this.
  4. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm.Maybe if the second shim was .2mm instead of .25mm there wouldn't be any high gear slippimg?
    jonnyc21, Nobade and Norman Foley like this.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or two .2, lots of possibilities. At least it is fairly easy to do.
  6. joe cool

joe cool Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What brand of clutch does Beta use from the factory ? BTW I also installed a couple shims for my clutch. Haven't had a chance to test just yet.
    Thanks for the tip Lineaway.
  7. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I did the washer mod to my 2017 300 2t and liked it. When I got my 2018 factory 300 2t I rode without washers for a while to see what it was like and recently did the washer mod to it. It really does improve the engagement/disengagement a lot.

This might ben an interesting one, I recently started playing with the oil level. I've been filling it to near the top of the sight glass, but tried with with the oil near the bottom of it after talking to another Beta rider. Less oil made the clutch feel lighter, but more vague. I just changed the oil and I'm shooting for the oil near the bottom third of the sight glass.

Anyone else play with the oil level and see a noticable difference?
  8. FrankenWompus

FrankenWompus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to add to this, my 08 270's clutch was sticking pretty bad when I first got it. I took out all the plates, cleaned them, and filed/rounded off the tabs just like is mentioned earlier in this thread. I also added 2 of the KTM shims (It might have been 3... it's been awhile) and it all helped, but the drag wasn't gone yet. I decided to rebuild the master on my clutch to make sure I'd ticked off all the boxes, and holy cow.... that was the ticket. A rebuild with all complete flush made ALL the difference. It was a low on fluid and who knows the last time it was replaced. Night and day after that. Zero drag. I rebuilt and flushed the front brake after that and replaced the pads and between that and the clutch rebuild the thing is practically a different bike.

I guess my point is make sure the rest of the system is good to go, too, before you spend hours cursing and scraping gunk off of clutch plates.
  9. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Too much oil in the engine will definitely induce clutch drag. On my 4t, about half way up the sight glass is ok, anything above and the clutch starts dragging. The 2t was even more sensitive - anything above just visible in the sight glass produced clutch drag.

YMMV.
    jonnyc21, 2whlrcr, y4m4 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put shims in my 2020 evo200 tonite. Used some coarse emery paper on one of them to get it down to .23mm, finished it with 600 grit. The other one is still .25mm.
    Clutch drag is reduced significantly and neutral is super simple to find. Will try later to see if it slips in higher gears.
    Clutch pull feels a little lighter. Not sure why, it shouldn't.
    Nobade likes this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure it does not slip in 5th and 6th.
    Wingboy and Nobade like this.
  12. snevil

snevil n00b

Oddometer:
    I added a third 0.005" thick washer to my 1996 Beta Techno and have less clutch drag now than using 2 of them. Total spacer thickness is now 0.015" or 0.381mm. McMaster-Carr part number 91437a555 will get you 5 of these washers (ID 16mm, OD 23.67mm, 0.005" Thick (0.127mm)).

I also used 450ml of this fluid in the gearbox and it seems to reduce clutch drag and thereby improve shifting while stationary: GM AC Delco Transfer Case Fluid Auto-Trak II.
    I tried 450ml of Mobile 0W-40 Euro motor oil but that caused a noticeable amount of drag as opposed to the AC Delco Auto-Trak II fluid.

As mentioned before, although my Beta manual calls out 500ml of transmission oil, it seems that 500ml oil increases clutch drag. I am getting good results measuring out 450ml into my ratio rite graduated container and then pumping it into the gearbox.
    Wingboy likes this.
  13. Wingboy

Wingboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gave it a really good,long hard pull in 5th and 6th gear tonite.No slipping whatsoever.I'm very happy,but confused as to why the factory doesn't do this? Could it be that expert riders might "jar" the bike into neutral.The mod does make it easier to shift and VERY much easier to find neutral.
    oldtrialer, Norman Foley and lineaway like this.
  14. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    My best idea yet was buying a TRRS 300. Nothing wrong with the Beta, just every thing on the TRS is a step better.
    Huzband, Norman Foley and laser17 like this.
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Only took you three years.
    y4m4, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  17. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was waiting on my son, being I am a patient OLD cheap bastard. Though I might not wait so long again. Maybe the 2021 gold won`t be as ugly.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  18. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You forgot old, like me.

:hide
  19. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I almost went back to add `OLD`. Now my son could be buying one of those heavy Japanese bikes. Now I will have to come up with a FIX for that!
    trials935 likes this.
  20. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a matter of time before you get one also. When you move down from expert like I have, it's a fun bike.
    lineaway likes this.