How to edit GPX tracks

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a large GPX file that I'll be loading into Osmand+ on my phone for navigation. It has a lot of side routes and alternate routes that get messy when following a track on Osmand. I'd like to edit it to remove portions I won't be riding so it'll be easier to follow. I'd like a PC-based program (or online program) that I can easily add/remove parts of the track. What are you guys using for this? I'd prefer an easy intuitive program, even if it doesn't have all the frills of a high end program.

Thanks!
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe not what you want to hear, but I would use Basecamp for this. I have been using it long enough so that it is easy for me. YMMV
    Basecamp is free from Garmin.
    But it might be hard to edit tracks without a pretty good map. You could either buy City Navigator from Garmin or get OSM from GPSFileDepot.

I would also use Mapsource, the predecessor to Basecamp. But getting a copy would be difficult for someone new.

You might be able to use the Android program Locus to edit tracks. Locus has a lot more track manipulation capabilities than Osmond. Editing a track might well be one of them. But I have never done it.
    GravelRider and ohgood like this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that's not editing, that's just visibility.

all tracks visible
    Screenshot_2018-10-05-05-12-03.png

hide every other track
    Screenshot_2018-10-05-05-12-48.png Screenshot_2018-10-05-05-12-58.png

or turn them all on/off, right on the screen or from the track manager. super easy, quick, painless. much unlike Basecamp.
    GravelRider likes this.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    @max384

Also note Ohgood is using Locus there.

Which I recommend, its a little more fidgity than OsmAnd, but its a lot more flexible, and a lot less stress on your battery.
    GravelRider likes this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be editing a track from last weekend to show only the main trail and eliminate our wrong turns and side trips. I'll use GpsPrune.
    GravelRider and ohgood like this.
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually do that for tracks I post for others.
    But for myself I prefer to have the raw tracks with all the warts. I label turnbacks and missed turns with waypoints that briefly describe what the issue was.
    Sometimes we want to go back and retry some of these.
    Labelling hard to find turns when we missed a turn is often valuable when reriding an area.
    YMMV
    GravelRider likes this.
  7. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use qmapshack for my at home editing. It's open source, and not the easiest to use, but probly not any harder than the Garmin app.
    ohgood and GravelRider like this.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll check out a few.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. leo_jb

leo_jb -

Oddometer:
    Separate but related issue. I prefer tracks over routes for a variety of reasons, but I have a problem. Whenever I take an existing track in Basecamp, copy it to a new list, and try to modify it to use as a route, it modifies the original track as well. This happens even if I change the name of the track. I've found two work-arounds for this. One is to convert the track to a route, then convert the route back to a track. This seems to destroy any links back to the original track. However, this only works if you can generate a route from the track, which isn't always possible (e.g. non-routeable maps). Second option involves exporting the original track, making the changes to the track still in Basecamp, then deleting the (now-modified) original track and importing the original one (previously exported). This works really well, but the problem is you may have more than one copy of the original track in different lists, and all have now been modified. Anyone else some up with a work-around for this?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    see my earlier post. basecamp was my motivation to look for better tools, instead of trying to fix/workaround all the bugs.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is the way Basecamp works. It seems to really only keep one copy of a track.

I suspect there is a command to copy a track to an entirely new one and give it a new name.
    If not I think you could use track splitting to create an entirely new track with nearly all the points of the original. Splitting definitely creates a new one with a new name.

I do virtually all my track editing in Mapsource. So this is not a problem.
    sieg likes this.
  12. leo_jb

leo_jb -

Oddometer:
    No, splitting doesn't work - it also affects all copies of the split track. Exporting the original seems to be the only way.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Mapsource I create a new copy of a track for editing while keeping the old one by first doing a Copy, then rename, then Paste the original back in. Then I edit the renamed version.

I tried this in Basecamp and it sort of works. I created a test List and copied a track to it. Then I did the Copy, Rename, Paste operation. I found that the original track got renamed in both places, but the copy only appeared in the List I was working on. So a couple of extra renames would be required to maintain the original track name and assign a new name to the edited version.

There well might be a simpler way. Maybe exporting is easier.
  14. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    COPY keeps the data linked, change it in one list and it changes in all lists.

DUPLICATE creates a new version of the same data with another name (Track becomes Track 1), changes affect only the version you modify.

Works the same for points, tracks, routes.
  15. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    right click or on edit menu when you have a "list" selected.Thanks for the reminder
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

i lol'd when i read that. totally expected from basecamp. the intuitive planning software!
  17. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there an Apple iOS app that allows KML or GPX file editing (tracks and points)?
    I do not mean routing or trip planning; there are already plenty of apps that do that.
    Map Plus allows user to edit tracks by moving points but I can’t find how to cut or trim a track...?
    Gaia GPS allows trimming & cutting tracks...
    Scenic app allows editing when importing with an option to save as off-road dash line to avoid recalculate errors... but no editing after saved.
    Maybe a hack is to edit in one app, then import into another to combine tracks or plan... :dunno
  18. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer: