How to get away in the USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mapmaker, May 12, 2019.

1. mapmaker

mapmaker I like dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few months ago I posted “Shake Down”. It was a 2 day ride report on a shake down, back country camping run on my new 2017 Africa Twin. Old new stock, 2019 buy. I was out of ADV Riding for 10 years. The shakedown was a misadventure in packing poorly but I managed not to fall over. Well I think I got it sorted out and I’m heading out May 17th for a solo trip for 30 days. Plan is to get from SoCal to North Eastern Montana fast as I can then take the long way home through Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon on as much dirt as I can.

For the return trip my travel concept is simple. It’s about getting away not where you end up. I don’t want to go to Peru. I don’t want to ride the the world. I don’t need a picture at the Arctic Circle. Nothing wrong with that at all. Those ride reports inspire me to this day but no one is going to put my bike in a small boat to get across the muddy river because there isn’t going to be anybody there with a small boat. I just want to get away, the destination is where others aren’t. I am planning the return route with my cell phone coverage map. The big blank no coverage zones are where I’m going. It’s a geographical proxy for, there are no people there or we would invest in coverage. Tip 1, if you don’t like people go where there is no cell coverage.

I carry about enough food, fuel and water for 3 nights and 4 days of remote bike camping. I will usually pop out for gas at least once. I’m in no hurry, I can do some 60 mile days and still make it home in 3 weeks. Use Spot to keep the worried women in my life calm and hit a hotel every 4 days to wash up and resupply. If I see more than 2 other people a day, I’m doing it wrong. Riding style, I can usually do what I need to do when I have to do it but I’m not seeking out the black diamond route or into going fast all the time. I don’t ride dawn to dusk. 5 to 6 hours max, unless something comes up.

I need this bad. 10 years ago me and the mighty mighty 990 could do it. We had it down to an art. Not a whole lot of fancy gear just some stuff I made, a great bike and the will to do it. For a throwback here is the 990 10 years ago in full dress. Yes that’s a sub meter Civil Engineering grade Trimble XH on the bars, I am a map maker.

Stay tuned if you can help me along. As a lead up I’m going to outline my gear for travel over the next few days before the launch. I’ll post picture heavy as I go as I can. It’s a novel kind of remote camping approach that still has ice for the whiskey on day two and a spare battery, more on that later. Tip 2, self reliance is not endurance.

Attached Files:

2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    N
  3. Dillard

Dillard Seeker

Oddometer:
    "I need this bad".

Totally understand that comment.
    FLHTK, itlives, Tallbastid and 4 others like this.
  4. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    A man with a plan... in.
  5. Jakkie

Jakkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Area is high on my list of must rides. Keen to see how you go
  6. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK then, let's do this. Cue the anticipation...
  7. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    ELECTRONICS
    A whole category unto it’s self. I have to tell you the only time I ever thought I might have to hit the help me button on the Spot was when the 990 battery died about 16 miles off in the wilds off the 395 in SoCal. Full disclosure, it was my fault. No push starting that thing on the flat dirt. It was day 2 and I walked 8 miles and was running out of water before these super cool ADV riders found me, took me back and tow jumped the bike. I was like, just take me to the 395 and I can hitch a ride the Kramer Junction. They weren’t having it at all. Took turns ridding on the back of the 250 dirt bikes and they took me back to my bike. I’m pretty sure they turned into white doves and flew away.
    At the core of this set up is a spare True Gel 12 volt motorcycle battery. It’s mounted low and forward in the top box. It’s hooked up to a 2 volt Colman solar trickle charger mounted to the top of the top box. I have a plug and play set of cords that I can run my air compressor, charge or jump the main battery or someone else’s (the cord is stored in the what was empty tool box on the side of the Twin), generic alligator clips and a charger for all my USB. Tip 3, the sun don’t take no prisoners but it’ll charge your stuff.
    I wear a Gen 2 Spot and navigate with a Garmin GPS 64. Have a iPhone X for pictures/video and an iPad Pro. USB charge tactical flashlight with standard battery backup, electric arc lighter and a water proof USB charger. The helmet has the the Scala Rider Q3 with after market speakers for Bluetooth phone and music and I carry a back up Scala unit. Spare AA and AAA lithium batteries and a spiders nest of charging cables. The iPad is overkill but I use it as my journal and for posting up when I can. The Garmin is bar mounted with a Ram mount, I wear the Spot and bear spray on the backpack. Carry the phone in the jacket, iPad is in the top case in an Otter Box.

Attached Files:

8. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could use a trip like this. I'm in for the ride.
  9. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN. This is gonna be good.....
  10. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could use the same thing right now
  11. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    715E5ECA-34FF-4CE8-93E2-B3AA6B475F12.jpeg BC0C8234-130B-4766-BD74-5DB396ED99E4.jpeg
    COOKING, FOOD AND WATER
    For a 3 night trip I carry 6 to 8 liters of water. I carry two 3 liter Camel type water bladders, one in my backpack and one on the passenger seat. I pick up extra bottled water when I get gas and stash it where I can. I also drink a liter at every gas station just because we’re all probably dehydrated and I need to pee more.
    Cooking is sometimes a luxury. So I always have the best of the most best tasting Clift Bars (still taste like crap but I eat them anyway) and some beef jerky, probably some nuts. All the cook and food stuff is carried in the top case and backpack. I can carry 2 soup sized cans. I carry a soft side six pack ice chest with ice in zip lock baggies. It can carry a steak, cheese, a pork chop or two and the luxury, a cucumber or something green. Zip-lock baggies full of spices and coffee and stuff. I usually just snack for lunch and kind light graze all day then cook real food for dinner. Breakfast bars and coffee in the morning.
    Cooking set up. I have a camp stove that burns 91 octane pump gas. I have 2, 1 liter 91 octane gas bottles for cooking and reserve gas. It’s an old MSR Whisper Light backpacker stove, small and it’s bulletproof. Carry a small aluminum pot, skewers for cooking meat over a camp fire, fine fine whisky in a Colman flask. I have this really cool old pocket knife spoon, fork, knife thing and my stealth skewers mounted in the top box. An insulated coffee cup, some soap and a bandana. It’s nice to think you are kind of glamping because you haven’t seen anyone for two days and on day 2 you ate cooked meat, a few carrots and have 3 substantive pieces of ice left for that first whiskey of the evening. By the third night its warm whiskey and a can of stew. Tip #4 ice is the definition civilization.

RIDING GEAR
    I am layers kind of guy. So not the one piece of gear for all season types. So what’s under or over the jacket changes for the condition. The jacket is an O’Neal textile Baja Enduro. Lined but not insulated, vented, good storage and the sleeves zip off. It’s really inexpensive, we’ll see how it holds up. I upgraded to Klim pads in it. Light gloves are Klim Dakar Pro, heavy gloves are the water proof Cortech Scarab 2.0. EVS strap on knee shin pads. Alpinestar armored undies, and Gaerne Balance Pro Tec boots. So far these things feel like hiking boots and I treated the leather with mink oil and added steel toe guards see pictures. I just wear baggy jeans with suspenders over the armor. The helmet is an Aria Defiant with a mini visor. For rain I have a two piece Columbia rain suit that works remarkably well and packs down supper small.
    I wear a small backpack with the 3 liter water bladder, some Cliff bars a knife and small stuff. It’s like if everything else were gone I’m good for a day with just the pack. A pair of shorts, extra briefs, flip flops, wool sweater, long sleeve tee, couple of short sleeve tees and 3 pairs of MX socks. Basic bathroom kit with a half roll of TP. And of course the basic first aid kit.
  12. F150

F150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    faded bandana: check. Your good to go.
    td63 likes this.
  13. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    In!
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. When I was a kid I wanted to be a cartographer. On summer vacations between like 10 and 13 years old I would draw detailed maps of ponds and campgrounds we would stay at. Looking forward to following your ride. Have a great time.
  15. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    X2

N
    Dillard likes this.
  16. RandomOscar

RandomOscar n00b

Oddometer:
    As someone who has is just starting his motorcycle adventures in the US I am absolutely in.
  17. welker

welker n00b

Oddometer:
    In
  18. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Whiskey on ice the SECOND day!! Wow, I like your priorities. You seem to have other aspects sorted out well also. I'll check this out.
    Bullseye and joenuclear like this.
  19. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Check out the Chair!
    Burro driver likes this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Good eye @joenuclear !! I didn't see it upon first inspection. He obviously doesn't have everything sorted. Now, how do I unsubscribe from this? ;)
    Kyron, lanztek and joenuclear like this.