How to get away in the USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mapmaker, May 12, 2019.

1. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  2. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    N
  3. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heck Ya!!
  4. mapmaker

mapmaker I like dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Come on, I switched to an uncomfortable tripod kinda chair thing and I also use it as a pillow. I think I cooked meat on it once. It was good. Expecting wet ground. Joe Moto thanks for all the tips in your posts.
  5. Martygarrison

Martygarrison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring bear spray...
    itlives and lanztek like this.
  6. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    STORAGE AND THE BIKE
    I have the Honda top box which holds the battery, solar charger, food stuff and clothes. I have the Givi 15L tank lock medium sized tank bag. It holds most of the electronics, first aid, gloves and other small things. The electronics are in 5x8x5” water tight plastic box in the Givi. I use the smallish Ridge Gear Adventure soft side bags. They carry spare tubes, liter of gas, tools, compressor, and rain gear. It’s a tight set up, tall not wide, heavy stuff low light stuff high. Both the side bags and tank bags are expandable if I pick up stuff along the way.
    The bike mods consist of a GPX damper and Rox risers with stock bars. I have the Yos RS 4 pipe and a Puig short screen. Seat Concepts sticky seat, Double Take mirrors, bike has 2500 miles on it and I’m going to run the stock tires up to Montana and switch to dirt tires in Helena for the return trip. Still researching tires any suggestions? I also posted up my home made fork air dam that makes a big difference. The future holds a better bash plate, bigger pegs and a high fender kit, just ran out of time for this trip.
    One more day.

Attached Files:

Bullseye, wilfred and Joe Motocross like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Love it man, I love it......
    Bullseye likes this.
  8. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    I am leaving tomorrow. I am humbled by your interest. When I started ADV Riding in the 80’s I thought I was a tribe of one. It was a 1979 Kawasaki 175 Bushwacker 2 stroke. I’ll show the loaded Africa Twin in the morning. Hope to get north of Trona CA tomorrow. As a second throwback, because I can’t tell what way my evolution is going. Some past bikes. First a ATK 605, Rotax motor and a license plate. I called it Tool. That’s me styling in the 90’s. Then I went big.

Attached Files:

yamalama, flying.moto, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  9. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Then it turned into a 1150 GS that went from Washington state to Mississippi, twice. It’s the pre curser to the 1250’s of today. It just ate miles. Did I say I am leaving tomorrow?

Attached Files:

flying.moto, Fosters, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  10. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  11. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sounds good.....IN!
  12. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Well, here we go. 9:30 PST. Heading North East to Montana into what looks like a nice big storm, bring it on. I’m thinking 3 days up, get dirt tires in Helena, then bring it home slow. As I do one last walk around I just stop and stare at the bike. I can’t believe I pulled this off. I don’t want let my expectations get to high but I can’t help it. This is going to be epic. All loaded up, let’s ride!

Attached Files:

13. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Quick update. Made it to Tonopah NV. Tomorrow through Elko and up to Twin Falls ID. Lessons learned, 15 mph head wind does great things for your neck muscles, especially when you are going 85 on the 95 North. It also does lessen your regular miles per gallon range. Lesson three, there are no gas stations in Goldfield NV. Lesson four, probably should of filled up both the liter gas cans. Best part of the day was meeting Hopper, Mark and Hopper’s cool Doberman on the sidewalk in Goldfield. First people I saw, rode up to them, they tried to get out of the way of the crazy u turn motorcycle and I was like no wait don’t run away. Any gas stations in town? Hopper, no. Mapmaker, sad face. Hopper, I’ll sell ya some gas. $6.00 a gallon for two gallons sounded great we shot the breeze for awhile. They were super impressed that I knew about the heavy weight title fight that took place there before the flood took out most of the town. You know I am trying to get away from people, then I meet people like Hopper...
    itlives, Amphib and Burro driver like this.
  14. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you’re going to continue up 95 until US-12, pm me when you get near Lewiston and I’ll buy you a beer
  15. Perre

Perre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that feeling, you try to be misanthropic and then some nice people suddenly appears...
  16. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    800 miles 2 days. Day 2. Tonopah to Idaho. 376 north to 50 east, to the 278 north to the 80, to the 93 north to Twin Falls, ID. Cold as ever, riding 5000 feet average near the snow line in May. Yea there is still snow there. Yea that’s frost on the seat. Using every bit of cold gear I got. Should be in Helena MT tomorrow. Big storm all around. How can it rain all week?

Attached Files:

woodzrider and fastredbike like this.
  17. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    That front dropped a lot of water and created flash flood situations in Spokane a couple days ago. Just quit raining this morning. It did finally move on, so hopefully you’ll be in the clear shortly.

And yeah, the NW snow pack was better this winter than it’s been in years. Gonna take a while to melt all the way. The high mountain forest roads don’t normally fully open till June as it is.
  18. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Only made to Wisdom MT. Took the 93 up the salmon river. Stunning and rained for 4 hours. Snowed on the 43. Later on the 43 I got blown off the road a couple times. Loving it, all the gear is working. Never hit a bird before, sad. One by the river. On to Butte for dirt tires tomorrow. Then the fun starts.

Attached Files:

ScotsFire and Burro driver like this.
  19. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good thing the bird didn’t hit you in the face! That would’ve been bad.
    Liking the trip so far, and be safe......
  20. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Did you stick the bird on the Adjustafork and roast it over the fire?
    Bullseye, Fast1, Perre and 2 others like this.