How to get away in the USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mapmaker, May 12, 2019.

1. mapmaker

mapmaker I like dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, Joe Moto, come on, I was getting rained on so I ate it raw. Thanks to Gary and the crew at 5 Valleys Honda in Missoula MT. Dirt tires on. Why is everywhere in Montana at the snow line?

Attached Files:

itlives, snglfin and Bullseye like this.
  2. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the reason it's not on fire.
    lanztek and ScotsFire like this.
  3. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Talk about fire. I’m in the Lolo NF. I think I saw the sun today. Remote camping for at least the next two days. I feel like a little kid about to do something I shouldn’t but gonna do it anyway. I’ll post up lots of pics in a few days. Signing off for now from the snow line.

Attached Files:

Bullseye and glasshousebc like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Naturally. Duh, what was I thinking.
    snglfin likes this.
  5. fastredbike

fastredbike back on the loose

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying your thread mapmaker, thanks. Posting from the road is tough 'specially from the back country. Looking forward to more.
  6. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I doubt, no I know, I will never take off into the "cell phone zone wilderness" like you, but I do appreciate the story and enjoy reading about it. Every once in awhile I pick up a good tip for my more civilized riding too.

Thanks for sharing!
  7. wera688

wera688 V-Stromer

Oddometer:
    don't speed on the Lolo, just sayin
  8. pkrip

pkrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in.... Kinda late but in :)
  9. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Sounds and looks like an epic journey. Have fun and most of all be safe.
  10. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    I gotta head lower, I would love to spend more time above 5000 feet but it rained all night and was 38 degrees in the morning. On the flip side keeping ice was no problem. Turned off the 12 out of Lolo MT and headed north. Found a dead end road with a little cover and amazing views. Looked up and saw some blue sky. Looks like this is the place then. First picture is how to set up a remote camp on the only flat surface for miles. Second picture, tip #5, how not to set up a remote camp. At least I know I can pick it up and I got that first drop out of the way! The view from under the tarp in the rain.

Attached Files:

11. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Pepper, potato, steak k-bobs. Tony’s and a little salt, cooked well, the way I like it. Then it rained all night and was freezing in the morning. Heading out had to stop to warm hands on the engine a few times. Spent hours crawling up Little Joe Creek road out of St Regis MT. They were grading it and laying down gravel on dirt. It was like riding on ice. Ran into the grading crew about 2 hours up, asked if it’s going through to Idaho. Nope. Snow. So now I’m Heading down to the Western Coeur d’Alene NF. It’s about 2500 feet lower, no snow, less rain.

Attached Files:

BigDogRaven, Bullseye, Perre and 2 others like this.
  12. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude! Head due west. Olympic Peninsula Wednesday.

[​IMG]

Oh wait. You're a geezer. Never mind. It'll be long gone before you get here...:deal
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  13. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Found this store a couple miles from Canada. Called Good Grief with wi-fi. Fish camps all along the rivers. Trying not be in a hurry.

Attached Files:

Bullseye likes this.
  14. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    The store.

Attached Files:

EZMoney and Bullseye like this.
  15. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it didn’t fall on your tent! Living vicariously through your ride report!
  16. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Now that I figured out that 2500 feet was a better place to be I just need to outrun the weather. Right now north is better. Back in Idaho. Kaniksu NF off the 2. There are endless dirt roads up here. I don’t have great maps but I can use the Garmin to back track out. I may go tag Canada tomorrow just cause I can. I’ve done a dirt road crossing before, it’s hilarious. It was a single wide long ways north to south. Our flag on the south end, them others on the north. Pulled up in a 2 door Wrangler and before I got out they were both outside coming over. I’m like, oh shit where’s my papers for the German Shepard. So I get out. First thing out of their mouths in unison was, do, do you have anything to read, a news paper a magazine? Ya gotta understand, pre internet / cell phone. Even funnier because with the accents it sounds like a Rush, Aerosmith duet. I had a 2 day old Great Falls news paper and um, some magazines. Turned them over to the authorities and was let through with VIP treatment.

Attached Files:

Perre and fastredbike like this.
  17. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    So I’m in the Kaniksu NF looking for a place to camp. Bears are a deal up here, about 30 miles from Canada. Was getting ready to head back to a NFS primitive camp ground I passed, it’s still a hang your food in a tree kind of place. There was a spot between 2 campers and I figured the bear would work his way to the middle. Then I found this remote site, a fisherman camp along a river. Big rock fire ring, food hanging apparatus, stocked with wood. Still didn’t feel right, figured I would cook here and go hide between the others in the NFS camp site. Walked down a trail toward the river and it ends at a 300’ straight down to the river, rocky bluff. The end of the ridge is triangular and flat. It’s base is about 25’ across and only one way in. I’ll cook at the fire ring (no fresh or open food after that point). It’s 50 yards away to the bluff. The sound of the rapids reminded me of camping by the beach in SoCal. Rig a few pots and pans on a line across the triangle base and sleep with two cans of bear spray and some other stuff. It’s also going to rain tonite or snow. This is the coolest spot so far.

Attached Files:

18. OldCoot

OldCoot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    In from NZ!

Loving it so far

:wave
  20. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mapmaker and I had a beer yesterday in Lewiston. He’s a very interesting person and it was great hearing tales of his journey. I’m really surprised at how minimalist his pack is especially seeing it in person.

Mapmaker, have a safe journey and I hope to see you again someday soon.

IMG_0984.jpg