How to get away in the USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mapmaker, May 12, 2019.

1. mapmaker

mapmaker I like dirt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally, just north of Gerlach a little artist ville. You look through the TV portals to the channel. To switch channels, turn your head.

Attached Files:

zachd, Metalcarver, td63 and 8 others like this.
  2. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Oh wait, one more, Pyramid Lake, west side. Paid for dinner in Fenely NV with 2x 4 of a kind! Decided not to ride to all the way to the playa today. Very windy. Actually got hot enough o unzip the sleeves on the jacket.

Attached Files:

Kyron, Shaggie, Pete S and 3 others like this.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    And THIS is why I love traveling the way you are right now. Going to places that a person has to be intentionally there, really caring about being there, and meeting others of a like mind. Being alone on a moto just seems to make you more approachable by strangers.

When I travel by myself, I’m only alone if I want to be.
    pratered likes this.
  4. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Change of plans. Head to Reno after all. My sweetie decided to fly in from LA and do the last few days with me. Went all in on the Reno experience and booked Circus Circus. It lives up to the name. On top of that it happened to be something vibration weekend for the Harley crowd. Virginia street was closed. All these signs went up the night before and it looked like I had the only white motorcycle in the city. I admit, I have a couple of Sportsters so I slipped into the persona and blended right in. Is it crazy to have a custom made trailer for your 2 puppies, apparently not to Crazy.

Before her plane got in I had time to get over to the big car museum they have downtown. The mini car has a motor wheel rear drive. The Lotus-Ford was my favorite. They had a space section and this suit got me thinking. I am a damn astronaut. We all are. You could go to the moon, or wait in line to climb Everest or scuba in the arctic but if you can ride 60 mph through a driving rain / snow storm, into a headwind, exposed on a bike and still be dry and comfortable and on top of that it’s armored for protection. Modern ADV gear is amazing and our suits are on par with the best of them.

Having sweetie come out is great, super cool that she is interested and I am thrilled to have her for the ride but it will cut me short by about 5 days. That’s OK I have certainly had my share of adventure. Over the next few days I’ll post up some of the pictures and stories I haven’t shared yet and talk about how the gear worked. Like this one, aspects of remote camping no one ever talks about.

Attached Files:

5. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Took the 395 home with sweetie on the back. Stopped above Mono Lake at the look out, 8000’. Proof, that’s her off to the right, she is super shy. Great BBQ place south of Mono Lake, Chopper is the resident puppy. Saw the only other Africa Twin on the trip right north of Lone Pine. I should have got a card Mark(?) runs an off road training outfit out Salt Lake. Great guy, he is heading Southwest to Ventura CA, then back up the CALI coast, safe travels friend. He asked about how it is riding 2 up on the twin, answer it’s tall. The good thing about tall is the seat is stepped up in the back so she can see over me and all around. I can imagine it would suck to stare into the back of someone’s helmet for hours, so bonus 2 up on the Twin.

Attached Files:

6. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    It’s time to start winding this down. Some observations on traveling solo with no real route in mind other than getting away. I really encourage you all to Google map some of these kinds of places as hubs in what is otherwise dirt road spokes. Wisdom MT. Two bar / restaurants, a $50 dollar a night hotel and nothing else. Except this really cool house with a living roof. I mentioned Molly B’s before but not where it is. It’s in Tygh Valley OR. They have two or 3 small tables around the walls and really big round table in the middle. While I was there a dozen locals came in for breakfast at different times. They all sat at the round table together and talked. I think that is the definition of community. Then back to the practical of being on the road this long, shaving and hair cuts. I like finding the local small shops. Didn’t get his name but this is Badabing Barber shop in Madras OR. He just came off some hard times but was putting it back together, he was open at 8:00 am, did a perfect straight blade shave and ended it with one of those old school shoulder massage contraptions. Best I looked on the whole trip.

Attached Files:

td63, Joe Motocross, EmmEff and 7 others like this.
  7. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    Made it home. Best approximations: 24 days, 2942 miles running through 6 states (CA, NV, ID, MT, WA, OR). Averaged about 122 miles per day, that’s my kind of pace! Averaged 40 miles per gallon. 1 stand still tip over, 1 mechanical issue with the fork seal. Did not burn a drop of oil or loose any coolant. Longest road day, 400 miles, longest off road day, 7 hours. Best ride, Denio Junction to Gerlach. Most deer seen, Idaho. Most Bald Eagles, Idaho. Best gear, Lands End military spec, wool, crew neck sweater (literally the difference between continuing or stopping on cold rainy days, I think the astronauts wore them). Other gear was flawless, sleeping bag zipper died, bought a new one in Burns, rain pants blew into the fire and then the rain stopped, should have burned them earlier. Number of days rained on, 17. Coldest day 38 degrees, warmest, 101. Highest elevation, 8000’, lowest was about 1000’. Ecosystems visited, high desert, alpine forest, coastal rain forest, juniper woodlands, sagebrush, grasslands and playa. Navigation, 60% Google maps on the iPhone, 35% with the Garmin, 5% with good old paper maps. Oh yea, Circus Circus was the only ecosystem I got lost in.

After getting rained on for 12 days in a row I really thought about just heading home and starting again later in the summer. Knowing at least some other folks were kinda interested, I just put the rain gear back on. It’s not lost on me that the guy that just wanted to get away took some people with him. Thank you.

Until next time I’ll end this epic ride report with a clean bike along with my favorite pic (blown seal side). Last, an ode to the weather and if I remember the road eventually veered off toward the right.

Attached Files:

td63, slacker1965, motorchi and 11 others like this.
  8. Pete S

Pete S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride report, great photography, and I really liked the summation at the end. Thanks for taking the time to share all of that.
  9. Perre

Perre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Really liked your report!
  10. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. Enjoyed every minute of that.

Cheers @mapmaker :thumb

Shane
  11. slackline

slackline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done. Enjoyed reading it! Thanks.
  12. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to share with the rest of us! I know it's a lot of work and we appreciate it!

I'm looking to get away myself in the fall but it will by necessity be a shorter trip than yours.
  13. lanztek

lanztek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mapmaker, thanks for the RR. I hope you had a trip you’ll always remember.

It was nice meeting you and hearing tales of your trip. I think you’ve inspired at least a few to just get out and do it.
  14. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Dude, great report! Solo trips refresh one's soul in more ways than one! Your fork seal issue was simply dirt under the seal, not a failure. When off road, I usually wipe down the sliders every morning to clear off any dried dirt, bugs, etc to prevent any seal leakage.
    jmacp19 likes this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Solid man!! Like you said, you needed this and I can tell you made the best of it. I applaud your minimalism but you know there are better ways to cook over the fire!
    [​IMG]
    td63, bbanker and Shaggie like this.
  16. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for taking us along.
  17. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was that from the wind? Has it come to that - stake down the bike to keep it from getting flipped by the wind?

18. LateToTheGame

Oddometer:
    [drooling from corner of mouth].. Man, I'm not doing this backcountry cooking right!

19. LateToTheGame

Oddometer:
    That's actually a decent camp setup. Not the best, but in the rain you do what you can to stay dry. All else can wait for the rain to leave...

Nice photo of Mt. St. Helens BTW.

20. mapmaker

Oddometer:
    The fall over was a bike to tarp to bungee cord wrong side of the kickstand how dumb can I be kind of fall over!