How to get google map saved places on to a track

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by radiorental, Sep 27, 2020.

1. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to head up to the North East Kingdom next week to look at at around 15 properties to for a potential camp. I'm also planning on taking the Bad Puppy Dog route to get there.

I have the Bad Puppy Dog GPX, I have the road addresses (but not house numbers). I do not have a clue how to merge the two.

Garmin Basecamp is proving a pain the aristotle as I do not have specific house numbers. Zillow listings usually state something like '0, Something Rd, Somewhereville, VT' and basecamp shits the bed without a specific address.

The Google maps "want to go" map that I've created, has the 'points of interest' but will only export a json file from Google Take out. Basecamp and Google maps can't import json

The version of google maps that has the Dirty Dog route uploaded will not import the json file from the other version of google maps that has the POI. WTF google?!?

I do not want to rely on google maps on my phone when I get up there, I have tmobile and data is very spotty for any autorouting. Anyone have advice on how to go about creating a route or track of the 15 addresses as a gpx that I can get onto my gamin.

Thanks!
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

you are correct, basecamp is terrible. (this is not just my opinion)

you'll want to use Google My Maps to import both your route(or track) and waypoints if places you want to visit along the way. once you have imported everything into Google My Maps , you can
    a) switch to regular Google maps and display all your tracks/waypoints on the regular Google maps
    b) use Google My Maps to show everything
    c) export it all as a kml file, then import that file to whatever GPS application or older style stand alone device you prefer

the only time you'll run into issues will be if your older stand alone GPS unit can't handle long/detailed tracks.

you can also go to your Google account and download ALL your map content/waypoints/history etc from Google
    ZoomerP likes this.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    here's an example of a gpx route I imported to Google My Maps, that now can be displayed on regular Google Maps:
    Screenshot_20200928-074222.png

the location of this changes with nap updates sometimes, currently this is the path to find them:

hit the "saved" tab at the bottom and then scroll down to the "maps" button on the right.... that's where any files you import to Google My Maps will show up in regular Google Maps
    Screenshot_20200928-074502.png

again I'm certain this will change with future google maps updates. it's unfortunate that they STILL don't allow for native displaying of gpx/kmz/kml right in Google maps, that would be ideal.

of course you can download Google maps for offline use, and it works well, but I prefer to use applications that were built to be used offline line osmand, locus, similar, for exploring while offline
    ZoomerP likes this.
  4. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's no way to export kml or gpx from google maps that I can find??? I've been using google takeout to generate a json file and then using 3rd party apps to then create a gpx or kml file to re-import back into another map in google maps.

This is where I'm at now, I've managed to merge the 'saved places' with another google map map 'dirty dog gpx' (you can't upload a gpx to 'google map saved places' and visa versa. Now I have merged them I have to go back to google take out, generate another json file, convert it to a gpx via a 3rd party tool and I think I'll be able to get it into basecamp and onto my garmin device.

Please let me know if there's an easier quicker way to to do this. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    from Google My Maps, hit the 3 dots next to your map of choice and there is an export option

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 8.14.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 8.17.08 AM.png
    ZoomerP and radiorental like this.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    like I said though, I totally expect this option location to change in an update, or disappear completely. google is notorious for changing things for the sake of change instead of bettering things
  7. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gawdammit, I was clicking the wrong menu affordance. Thanks!!!!

[​IMG]
    ohgood and ZoomerP like this.
  8. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, never trust any online service like that to not make your data disappear.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, it's just that given my specific use case where I'm copying POIs from a website (Zillow in this case) and merging them with a track, gmaps is the easiest tool atm. Basecamp is a trainwreck at this.

Google is notorious for pulling rugs.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your help, now I'm a fight with my Garmin Zumo XT. I'm trying to figure out how to view both the track and the waypoints on the device, similar to the googlemap image above. Maybe that's not a thing, maybe I'm exporting it incorrectly from Basecamp. I can display the track, but the waypoints are a mystery. Only had the Zumo XT for a couple of months fwiw.

Where to > Explore > Waypoints : nothing listed.
    Where to > Favourite > All Favourite : a massive list of everything, including the 15 or so addresses I want to visit.

I cannot for the life of me figure out a better way to have just these 15 addresses appear on the map. Ideally, what I want to do is ride the Dirty Dog track and then go off track to the various waypoints as I near them. Is that just not a thing?
  11. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a long time since I used a Garmin but my thought are as follows.

Have you created a POI file for the 15 addresses? If so I don't think you'll find them in waypoints they will be in POI.
    If these POI's are not to far from the track you're following you could set them with an alarm so that when you're near them you can pick them off.
    The alternative is to take the track log gpx and manipulate with something better than Basecamp or Google Earth.
  12. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As I understand it. A POI file is a .gpx. I have tried saving a file with just the addresses (waypoints as basecamp calls them) and it just doesn't show up in the zumo XT.

There isn't any mention of POI lists in the XT, which is why I omitted any mention of them above. To me, these are POI's but the XT is either trying to be too smart about the concept and failing to basic stuff, or it just doesn't know what to do with a gpx with only addresses.
  13. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What catergories come up after "Where to > Explore > "
    You're POI might be in another catergory, maybe a name that you gave the gpx file.
    "Where to > Explore > Waypoints" is probably unnamed waypoints created on the device.
  14. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, to make things a little clearer I wiped all the data I had on there, which was no easy feat itself. Only doable painfully one item at a time on the device or via https://explore.garmin.com/ or the connect app (posting this if anyone comes across this thread for completeness). I then exported my combined dirty dog + addresses .kml from basecamp.

>> What catergories come up after "Where to > Explore > "

All (contains the 1 main track and the 4 hero sections), Waypoints (nothing), Tracks (same as All), Routes (nothing), Activities (nothing), Collections > Library > (same list as all)

>> "Where to > Explore > Waypoints" is probably unnamed waypoints created on the device.

Contains nothing. Where I can find them is Where to > Favourites. It contains both my list of addresses and the waypoints from the original Dirty Dog track (gas stations, etc). I can click the map icon to display them all on the map but that view of the map does not contain the track. I can select one of the 'favourites' and route to it, so that's something. But there are no options to add it to a category. But it's going to be a pain out there switching between the two map views.

Question, could it be that something is getting lost in the Google maps export to KML? I'm not sure what the pro's and cons of gpx v. kml are? Actually, I can test this by importing the original dirtydog.gpx.....

And, yeah, same results. No 'waypoints' from the original gpx. This isn't a kml export issue. Beginning to think this is just not something the zumoXT is setup to handle. You can only create POIs on the device itself, you can't import them in, which is bull$h1t Garmin. Man, they get something so right, and many things are a bloody mess.

I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to rely on googlemaps on my phone in conjunction with the garmin when I get up there.
  15. Snafu2

Snafu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    radiorental likes this.
  16. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I briefly saw that in parsing the garmin help pages today and moved on as I only have access to a mac right now. The last freakin thing I need from Garmin is another bloody app. I swear to god, they have an app or utility for everything and nothing works with each other (e.g. basecamp wont talk to the zumo if the connect app is hogging the usb port)

Forgive me, thank you, I think that's what I need but I'm just done with all things garmin today. Your help is much appreciated! if/when I try the POI app I'll report back here. Cheers!
    ohgood and ZoomerP like this.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I learned that Garmin had multiple teams of software developers in total isolation from each other, that were ordered to release programs that were designed to integrate poorly with anything else, it would all make sense.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand you're looking for an easy way to do this, can't help you there as I don't use google maps for anything but ...

You can simply enter the coordinates in baseCamp and create waypoints for them. Put them in a list named 'VT property' or something and then export that file to the XT. Include the tracks you want for the ride in that 'list' as well. If you're zoomed out on the XT you should see heart-shaped icons on the map I believe. You can also simply navigate to them by looking in saved waypoints.

If you have already looked at/saved the locations in google maps, you can copy paste the coordinates into a simple CSV text file and convert them all at once into GPX and push that to the XT.

I use GPS Visualizer to do my conversions and the format is name,desc,lat,long

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input?convert_format=gpx
    like so:

property A,mountain rd,44.884434, -72.541146
    property B,highland dr,44.892202, -72.541661
    etc.

Convert the file, open the link it gives and the waypoints and gpx data will automatically populate in BaseCamp. Then move them into the 'VT property' list that you have created. Then export that 'list' to the XT.

Its easier and more intuitive than it reads.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    And @ohgood does like to shit on Basecamp in every thread :lol3.. but he is not wrong and has good info for alternate ways to accomplish the same goals that is easier for many riders. And his tips have helped me too. :thumbup

But there are just as many of us who took the time to learn the program and use it well. Look at long-distance rally riders like Iron Butt Rally riders. Power users who need to rely on a tool (a program, not an 'app') that allows quick and easy manipulation of hundreds of saved locations with abilities to customize naming conventions, time constraints, icons and then route effectively between them in minimal time while on the 'rally clock.' Basecamp (and old Streets and Trips) is more often the weapon of choice.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. radiorental

radiorental Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Patch >> You can simply enter the coordinates in baseCamp and create waypoints for them. Put them in a list named 'VT property' or something and then export that file to the XT.

That doesn't seem to work, as noted above, even the waypoints (gas stations, etc) in the original gpx are not being grouped with the track on the XT. Thay also get dumped in to a generic 'favourites' list that cannot be viewed at the same time as the map with the track display.

That is to say 'waypoints' in general seems to be a little broken on the XT