How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Clay66ATL

Clay66ATL n00b

Oddometer:
    Just received the plate for my KLR250. It took about 3 weeks after mailing it out. Thank you guys so much for all the info in this thread. 20180127_164216.jpg
    FTL900 likes this.
  2. tonusmaximus

tonusmaximus maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 77 gs550 i bought no title non running and just got it going. Trying to find a free website to run vin but its less than 17 numbers etc. Anyone have a link as I want to do this before I go get it checked w our local LEO.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.nicb.org/how-we-help/vincheck
  4. bukaka19

bukaka19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What did you put in the box that says Vermont license #? Did you just put your states license number or did you leave that blank? Did you have to fill out boxes 7 or 9?
  5. tonusmaximus

Oddometer:
    anyone use their insurance agent do the vin verification and Vermont accept it? Looking for another avenue besides a LEO.
  6. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unless you have a Vermont license leave it blank.

I listed the purchased price of my motorcycle at the top of box 7, but left the rest of 7 and all of 9 blank. Call the Vermont DMV and they will tell you how much you owe.

I wouldn't hold your breath, as the form specifically states law enforcement, but call the Vermont DMV and ask. The worst they will say is no.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    My question to you would be why?

Unless, you have reason to suspect the VIN is hot and or murky?
  8. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Because they are bureaucrats.
  9. tonusmaximus

Oddometer:
    this we have a drug problem here as many areas do and often cops are ready for something upon approach and not the most helpful with loopholes or out of state attempts at registration and such have mentioned it before w them. I'm outta here in 2.5 years when I retire... I ran the vin on the NICB site and it came up clean and the current owner has his own issues and is out of the picture.
  10. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vermont sounds like the answer for my situation.

I just bought an old bike that has no title although I do have copies of the bill of sale for each of the past three owners.
    And the fact that the oldest bill of sale is from the museum where the bike spent decades on display.
    The bike is 78 years old!

It is a 1940 Matchless G3 that was shipped to Africa with hundreds of similar bikes to serve in WW2.
    England requisitioned all Matchless bikes for active duty.

It is still wearing the original desert paint and military number.
    Unfortunately it is also completely disassembled.
    A basket case that is supposed to be complete.

upload_2018-2-24_18-20-12.jpeg

upload_2018-2-24_18-21-38.jpeg

The numbers and artwork on the tank are hand painted originals.

upload_2018-2-24_18-22-25.jpeg

I can't get a Title for it here in Alaska until it is road ready, inspected, appraised, and I post a bond for 3 years that is for 1.5 times the appraised value.

I want to get a Title long before then as proof of ownership so I will be sending the paperwork to Vermont.

I will start the rebuild next winter, reassembled but not restored.
    Patina is beautiful even if I don't care much for the green tinge to the desert khaki color.

I will have to go through Vermont to register my Rickman Metisse too.
    Jarlaxle, Nttra and kennyanc like this.
  11. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    In my state, Tag and Title shops are fully licensed agents of the state and can perform VIN inspections. They'll charge you for it though. In my experience, it's been hassle free to have my local Tag and Title shop do VIN inspections for me, it's way easier than explaining to a state trooper why you're trying to register your untitled bike out of state. VT had no problem with my VIN inspection being filled out by a Tag and Title shop.

I don't know how Tag and Title shop authority/powers varies from state to state though, but you might want to look into it.
  12. bukaka19

bukaka19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well got the plates in Jersey now the hard part, getting a title.
  13. SALEENR6

SALEENR6 n00b

Oddometer:
    failed, they sent the app and the check back to me saying I need the original title. wtf
  14. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who sent it back?
    I mean which state did you apply to?
  15. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible it was once registered there?
  16. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    Even if it had been registered in Vermont before and had a title, if it's over 15 years old now, it doesn't need one. My guess is that Saleen R6 didn't RTFM and was trying to register something < 15 years old.

For vehicles 15+ years old, if you have a legit bill of sale and the VIN verification (bikes over 500cc only), the only thing Vermont cares about is that it's not listed as stolen and that you pay the fees. It doesn't matter where it was (or wasn't) registered before, nor does it matter if the seller on the bill of sale is the last registered owner in Vermont or anywhere else.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Pama56

Pama56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Furious E,
    I just received the same answer from the Vermont DMV. Were you able to provide them with something and get the registration process completed? Thanks!
  18. Darkdowndeep

Darkdowndeep n00b

Oddometer:
    Here in Nevada you simply sign a statement saying the vehicle has been on your property for 90 days or more. And send a registered letter to the last owner on record. Then eventually you can get a title.
  19. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    ...really.... I did not know that... thanks!
  20. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I sent off for my Honda Trail 90, I included a picture of the VIN plate showing it had manufactured to meet the FMVSS for the date listed on the vin plate. I didn't have any issues.