How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Superrosie

Superrosie n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003 honda shadow vt750 with no title. Would this work for me? I live in south Carolina
  2. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    VT will issue a registration for that bike - as long as SC will accept that instead of a title, you should be okay. I'm not up on the SC rules & regs.
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Superrosie Yes, SC will accept it. I see you're in Columbia. You're lucky. I am in Spartanburg and they always have to contact the main DMV office in Columbia for reg only bikes and cars. I have had to take one bike down there. Be prepared with the bike in tow and ready for an inspection. They will check everything, signals, horn, all lights, gauges, and tires for DOT stamp. The bike has to be road ready, receipt for property taxes in hand, driver's license, and your insurance card or proof of insurance on the ensuring companies letterhead with the bikes info and VIN. If you're seeking title only, you'll need the VT registration, and paid property tax receipt.
    SloSolo2 likes this.
  4. Superrosie

Superrosie n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks! I'm ready to put in some ride time
    ben2go likes this.
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.
  6. winta

winta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got a chance to do this for my drz400 and things are looking good,sort of. Just to give an idea of how long it takes Vermont DMv to process the paperwork, i sent the paperwork on 3/29 cycle reg.JPG and it was delivered to the dmv on 04/02/2018. Now yesterday, 4/20/2018 I called to check status of the money order i sent the dmv and it now has the status of "has been cashed" . That's 19 days after being delivered to the dmv or 14 business days after being delivered. If and when i receive anything in the mail i will update my post.

I'm attempting this for a 2001 drz400s. I sent bill of sale,money order,Vermont dmv registration form,pictures of vin plate/vin number on frame (I did not get a vin inspection, being the bike is 17y/o). I also sent a printed copy of a vehicle history report i bought for $6(carlemonsearch.com), when i bought the bike frame a year or so ago.
  7. winta

winta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay i just got home and checked the mailbox and... cycle reg 3.JPG cycle reg 1.JPG cycle reg 2.JPG
    This method definitely still works.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Superrosie

Superrosie n00b

Oddometer:
  9. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    I did it a few years back on an XT225. Didn't worry about the VIN inspection. I got my application back a few weeks alter saying they wanted a little more money. Sent it back in and a few weeks later I got the plate and registration in the mail. I think it was $77 but I'm not sure. It definitely works.
  10. winta

winta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just sent a $95 money order and crossed my fingers. So i should be get $11-ish bucks sent back to me
    FTL900 likes this.
  11. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    6% of low nada value.
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love VT DMV. I have a 1946 boat and 1995 trailer with only bills of sale. NYS gave me hassle so I went over to VT. Ten minutes I had registrations for both!
    Jarlaxle and JagLite like this.
  13. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    I've used the Vermont process to register a bike in the past, so I'm familiar with the process. I then transferred the VT registration to a title in my home state.

I recently bought an antique bike with a salvage title. It was involved in a minor low speed drop, and I easily repaired the damage. It's as good as new. My state requires an extremely strict and expensive salvage inspection to register a repaired salvage bike. This is an antique motorcycle and wouldn't have been able to pass this rigorous inspection even when it was new, because the bike is so old. They do not make accommodations for antique bikes, even ones old enough to have been manufactured without some of the equipment required to pass the salvage inspection.

Can I register this bike in Vermont, or will the salvage history associated with the VIN prevent me from doing so? I already got a VIN inspection done on the bike, using the VIN inspection form that Vermont has accepted from me in the past. This VIN inspection form does not mention, or have a place for, salvage history. I have it on good authority that Vermont does not do salvage registrations, and does not mark them as such.

Lets say that Vermont will register my bike and they send me the registration and tag. Will my home state (where the bike currently has a salvage title) require the same salvage inspection when I go to transfer my Vermont registration back into a title for my home state, or can I avoid the salvage inspection because the bike will then have a clean Vermont registration and tag?

I'm not trying to "wash" the title. I don't care if the title stays branded. I'm just trying to avoid having to modify the bike to pass the stupid inspection, just to take parts back off once it passes. It'll be much easier and cheaper for me to just register it in Vermont, if that'll allow me to bypass the salvage inspection in my home state.

The motorcycle is a 1954. It is almost all original. Here are some of my inspection issues:

1) The original muffler does not have an acceptable DOT stamp on it.
    2) The brake light is only activated by the rear pedal. Both the front and rear brakes are required to work the brake light to pass inspection.
    3) The original throttle cable is run inside the handle bar and is a stiff wire. The throttle does not automatically spring shut when you let go, it stays where you left it. To pass inspection, the throttle must be self closing.
    4) The motorcycle was manufactured without turn signals. Working turn signals are required for inspection.

I'm sure the list goes on, but this is just what I've been made aware of already. I don't want to modify this nearly all original bike just for their stupid inspection rules...

EDIT. I FOUND THE ANSWER TO MY OWN QUESTION: The 'salvage' brand follows the VIN in my state. Even if I get it registered or titled in another state it'll need to pass the salvage inspection before being able to be registered in my home state, since it's already in their system as salvage and needing the inspection. It doesn't matter if another state gives it the 'ok' and lets me register it.
  14. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    received tag and a week later the sticker and transferable registration came...very smooth transaction for an over 500cc bike.
    here's my question:
    i have yet to transfer over to my state...in ohio titles show seller/buyer/make/model/mileage/price/selling price/tax paid ect.. but on the vermont reg. it has the make and model abbreviated with no mileage or previous owner and most of the above not shown.
    i'm just looking for others experiences (ohio) preferably if possible to let me know how my state will get the information i'm used to seeing on titles...great site and thanks for any input on this subject.
  15. Bindlestiff

Bindlestiff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, sorry to add another "will this work?" question, but I'm not finding an explicit answer in my sifting through the thread:

Do you need the official VIN inspection from a local cop if you're registering a bike that's over 15 years old but more than 300cc?

I have a friend with a 20-ish year old Harley they bought in California several years ago but never registered (they do still have the old bill of sale.) It sounds like the VT title thing would be easier and cheaper than getting a bonded title, but getting the local police to do inspections is a PITA. Reading the last few pages, it sounds like some people have gotten away with registering >300cc bikes with just a picture of the VIN sticker? That might also be an issue because on my friend's bike the sticker is missing, though the stamped VIN is still there and readable.
  16. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    2003 and older and if 500cc or larger you must to have the VIN inspection done with form 010.
    if you can get a LEO to fill out the bottom of form 010 that is the best but i had no luck so i used a registered with my state VIN inspector station and had to have them type out on there letterhead that they are certified to do these inspections.
    Bindlestiff and JagLite like this.
  17. Bindlestiff

Oddometer:
    Oh, is there some distinction for 500cc bikes in addition to 300cc? I was wondering because Winta further up on the page did it with a DRZ400 with only a picture of the VIN plate. My reading of the materials on the VT DMV site is that since Winta's bike was over 300cc it should have needed the formal VIN inspection form. It sounds like maybe they're just not sticklers about it so long as there's some sort of proof of VIN included?
  18. der_saeufer

der_saeufer ?איפה בירה

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the instructions for the form; you'll see that VIN verifications are required for bikes 500cc and up, even if they're not titled. VIN verifications are also required for all titled vehicles unless it already has a Vermont title, but if you had the title you wouldn't be in this thread.

Bikes under 300cc are never titled, vs. bikes over 300cc are titled if they're less than 15 years old.

It works like this:
    <300cc: no title, no VIN inspection ever (even if brand new)
    300-500cc: title if < 15 years old, otherwise no title, no VIN inspection
    >500cc: title if < 15 years old, otherwise no title but still needs the VIN inspection unless previously registered (to anyone, ever, so long as you can prove it) in Vermont
  19. Bindlestiff

Oddometer:
    Ah, got it. Thanks!
  20. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    tried to title today and BMV said bike is a year to new??? it's a 2003 and i have my Vermont reg. and tags..
    they all huddled around the POLK book and one person said Vermont titles 15 year old and newer so they couldn't do a title for me...i said no no no....wrong...they wouldn't register my bike if it didn't qualify but to no avail and they said to come back next year and no problem...LOL
    they said for Vermont to fax them something saying they don't title title vehicles 15 years and older.
    i called Vermont from the parking lot and the lady just laughed about my BMV office not comprehending what there reading in the POLK book...it's all good, normally i get mad at stupidity but hey...life is short.
    i'll get it done sooner or later.
    JagLite likes this.