How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    Vermont did say to go to there site and print this info and example to try to get my BMV to grasp the time window on title and no title vehicles...lol

Vermont titles vehicles that are 15 years old or newer based on calendar year. For example: from January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018, Vermont will title vehicles with model year 2004 or newer.
    Jarlaxle and JagLite like this.
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend just got the registrations and plates for two vintage bikes from the nice people in Vermont.
    A 1940 BSA M20 and a 1948 BSA 500 twin.
    Now I can start the process for my 1940 Matchless G3L.
    He did have to get a friend who is a cop to sign a paper with his legal info on it that the VIN numbers matched the paperwork.
    Cost about $1,500 for both bikes.
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was the $1500 for??? Never had vehicle I registered/titled in VT cost more than a couple hundred dollars.
  4. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    well no go even giving them the printed page showing the rules on Vermont's titling ...was told we're very strict and they (she) wouldn't go to jail over making me a title...as in i won't go to jail for you by doing what i'm supposed to do) WTF ...then she said to go to a different office that is more lenient...a few years ago i would have lit her up but instead i took my paperwork and left...karma is a bitch and i WILL get the title done sooner or later :)
    JagLite likes this.
  5. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Years ago Cycle Magazine (Cycle World? Cycle Guide?...) had an article about a rider getting his bike registered in CA and what he had to go through.
    (Yamaha TZ750 I think, no problem right?)

After adding all the legal requirements he took it in for inspection.
    They couldn't find that bike in their list of approved motorcycles and didn't know what to do with it.
    In talking he found out they had a list of bikes that could not be registered for the street so he asked them to check it.
    They did and found that his bike year was not on the black list but other years were.
    They called the supervisor to find out what to do.
    He told them to add that model year to the black list.
    Of course.
    "We're civil servants, we work for you, NO you can't do that. Have a nice day"

I think the owner went to another DMV office in a smaller town where the people were actually helpful and he was finally able to get plates.

So, don't give up!
    buckeye_t likes this.
  6. JagLite

Oddometer:
    He registered both bikes at the same time, and one of the fees they charge (tax?) is based on the retail value of the bike(s) as shown in NADA (I think).
    I will ask him for more details but when I looked up the value of my Matchless it looks to be valued similar to his BSA M20 so my cost will be about half what he had to pay.
  7. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    hey folks i had asked a question earlier about once a title is made from a Vermont registration (for the people who have done this) what or who's name(john doe ect..) does your title show as the seller..also address and such.
    they wouldn't leave the sellers information blank?
    i have no intention of showing my temporary registration(119 form filled out and checked by Vermont).
    my registration only has my information and my motorcycle information showing on the small card.
    i haven't tried to get a title as of late but the lady asked a lot of questions when in my opinion the transferable registration should do the job...well that and an out of state inspection but they was stuck on the bikes year(2003) saying it was to new by one year.
    anybody?
    thanks for the previous information and any input on the above question.
  8. Xicor

Xicor n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this with an ATV? Just got the plate and the checkd V-119 form back today. Should I expect a sticker/actual registration in another week or is this all that you get?

If this is it, is that V-119 form enough to transfer at CA DMV?
  9. prowl

prowl n00b

Oddometer:
    I find it peculiar that there isn't one post from some one in Massachusetts. Anyway,

I followed the steps and tried to convert my Vermont registration for a 2003 VTX at the RMV in Massachusetts. They would not convert it because it was a temporary registration.
    They only way I can get a non-temporary registration from VT is to bring the Motorcycle to VT to get a VT issued VIN. The VIN originally was in NH.
  10. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    VIN verification does not have to happen in VT. Read the section in the VT VIN Verification form instructions titled 'VIN Verifications out of state' for how to accomplish that. The key phrase is "...or by those personnel authorized by that state to perform VIN verifications ." which in MA is police departments - maybe others, too.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-bike-w-no-title.655441/page-63#post-32800308

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-bike-w-no-title.655441/page-68#post-34821370

You mean besides me???

:-)
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  11. prowl

prowl n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got off the phone with the VT DMV. They said they need me to fax 3 documents:

1. The VIN verification form
    2. The temporary registration form
    3. The state troopers Business card <-----WTF???

I recently called the mass state police and the trooper who picked up the phone stated that no one carries business cards and that it was a rather silly request.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, however some agencies do provide some form of contact card.

I got one from each detective that came to take prints from my stolen/recovered motorcycle.
  13. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I'm jaded after dealing with various bureaucratic organizations for far too long, but I'd never assume whoever picked up the phone at the RMV had much of a clue on how to do anything outside normal transactions. My assumption would be that whoever you talked to believes that a business card from a trooper qualifies as "...a letter of identification of the agent on their department or agency's official letterhead ..." that the VT VIN form requires.

You might try this approach: do exactly what the instructions on the VIN form say to, and send it in with the letter of identification and temp reg. The RMV drone may still think they need a business card, but if they try to argue that they are now disagreeing with their own agencies written instructions, not some guy from MA that they'll never meet. They really don't like disagreeing with their own agency. Chances are whoever answered the phone will never see your documents, because your documents will go to whoever specializes in title and VIN, not whoever got stuck on the customer service line that day.

JagLite likes this.
  14. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Why did you not get the non-temporary registration?
  15. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    VT won't issue a permanent reg on that bike without a VIN verification - engine size, I believe.
  16. SloSolo2

SloSolo2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd seen your post Sunday. Missed an xt225 because the numpty didn't have a title and I was concerned SC wouldn't plate anything not 100% straightforward.
    ben2go likes this.
  17. prowl

prowl n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok I resolved that issue and got my completed Vermont registration in the mail - finally.

I'm assuming you've registered a bike with no title in Massachusetts with a Vermont registration? If so -

I have the bill of sale, auto insurance cards, RMV form, Vermont registration, learners permit, Am I missing anything?
  18. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    I've never been asked for a learners permit/ license, but it couldn't hurt to bring it along.

It is worth printing the registration instructions off of the MA RMV website to bring along. The clerk you deal with may not know it's possible to register this way, and it's much easier to accomplish when you have their own agency's instructions to show them. Did you get the final VT reg yet (printed one)? I had no success with the VT handwritten temp registration they send out first.
  19. buckeye_t

buckeye_t n00b

Oddometer:
    form 010 has changed....now vermont wants the person inspecting the vin to run a check if it's stolen.
    below is a c/p from the new form 010...

In addition, I have run the VIN/HIN using the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and confirmed it is not listed as stolen.

IMO this is not a big deal except for the states that make a big deal of a simple VIN inspection...cough cough (OHIO) for one.
    LEO's and BMV wanted no part of my inspection and i will guess the inspection i had done and was excepted may have been turned down with this extra added (NCIC) being required.
    Vermont can run the VIN online (NCIC)...simple but i'm not the one making the rules.
    good luck to everyone especially folks from OHIO because this just about kills people's chances in OHIO with larger cc bikes needing a transferable registration...
  20. carolinaslim

carolinaslim n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I picked up a 150cc scooter last year and need some directions on what I need to do. After reading the VD-199i, I think I would need to fill out the VD-199 and the VT-005. The bad is I can't remember the guys name I bought it from. [Asheville, NC] I actually trade him a gopro for it. PM's are welcome if that would be easier.