How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    We don't have PMs here we have conversations. :lol2

I know, semantics.
    carolinaslim likes this.
  2. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Just arrived: Vermont plate for my 2001 Gas Gas XC 300....
    Mambo Dave, carolinaslim and JagLite like this.
  3. kcundari

kcundari n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice/peace of mind. Here's my situation. I obtained a 2005 Vespa ET2 from my father who lived in Connecticut. CT doesn't require any registration, plates or title nor do i have any way of getting any of those things. I live in NJ who needs everything. The only way to get title in NJ (which is needed to register it here) is to do an abandoned vehicle process which is a nightmare. So I spoke with VT DMV who will gladly plate and register it in VT. They will not title it because it's under 300CC's It's 49CC's. So I contacted Progressive insurance and they can insure the Vespa in NJ while registering it in VT. I believe this is the answer to my issue. I can continue to register and plate it in VT while riding it here in NJ. Does anyone know a different way to go? Perhaps a different state? Is this the best way to go? Any help is much appreciated before I send off the check.
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reg should be transferable to NJ unless they have some stupid rule. Most states will accept regs from other states that don't title certain vehicles. If it can't be transfered, and there's no issues leaving it reg'd in VT, I wouldn't worry about it. Ride the wheels off.
    phillyrube likes this.
  5. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a trailer that I registered through Vermont, then transferred to Virginia. DMV had to do some footwork but found out they could title it. May take some prodding...
  6. Superrosie

Superrosie n00b

Oddometer:
    Getting ready to send off my info to vermont for my 2003 Honda 750
    Tax: $116.40
    Title: $35
    Total: $199.40

Does that seem a bit high?
    Jeffrop and KMM696 like this.
  7. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    Compared to other states, sure , but that's Vermont....

Their valuation of the bike looks like $1940 - which seems reasonable. I won't defend their 6% tax as reasonable, and I live in MA where it's 6.25%. :amazon
  8. Superrosie

Superrosie n00b

Oddometer:

I gotcha. Just making sure I'm not messing anything up
  9. Bob carter

Bob carter n00b

Oddometer:
    What’s the address again to mail the info to I got lost in all the other comments has it changed?
  10. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

You must have Google?? Probably how you found this thread.
  11. Troncd

Troncd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried this recently? I’m looking at buying a very cheap 1993 klr 250 w no title but proof of ownership. I’d like to try the Vermont loophole, but want to make sure it’ll still work out!
  12. NJNiteRider

NJNiteRider n00b

Oddometer:
    I had to register for this thread. VT requires an inspection to be done on any vehicle registered in its state. You have to physically take the bike to a certified inspection station. This is whyvthey give you 15 days to do this after registration, to get repairs, if needed, in order.There is a fee and a sticker that needs to be applied to the windshield or the front left fork. If you do not have this sticker and the cops in your jurisdiction want to be pricks they could confiscate your bike or ticket you for having no inspection sticker since the rules for vermont are clear and if they wanted to investigate the matter. 15 days after registration this must be done, or transfer the registration to your own state.
  13. bukaka19

bukaka19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done it a few months ago under 300cc is extremely simple. Fill out forms and send it up with a check. Over 300cc has to be verified and inspected. Think it cost me 90 bucks. They sent plate and transferrable registration to nj. With that i took to nj dmv and they issued a title.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the inspection was a VIN check, not a safety and emissions check. Must be jersey.....
  15. bukaka19

bukaka19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes vin check only could be done by a Police department. But not required under 300cc
  16. NJNiteRider

NJNiteRider n00b

Oddometer:
    No. Inspection is safety. They check to make sure everything is in working order. Lights, brakes, throttle, horn, ect. NJ stoppes doing inspextions on bikes around the time they stopped requiring moped licenses for scooters. Im talking about Vermont tho. Yes you can transfer the registration to NJ without the inspection papers, but for those wanting to maintain VT registration yearly you will need that inspection sticker on your bike. Its a slippery slope over jurisdiction pertaining to individual states inspection rules. Its officer discretion. He can be a prick or be cool, but ultimately i wouldn't take any chances. Register it in your state. Otherwise, if VT finds out youve been maintaining registration on a vehicle without inspection and ita being driven on the road, ie; you reg in VT, live in NY, and are driving the bike with the vt tags and get a ticket for speeding, failure to signal, whatever, and it gets back to VT and they find you havent gotten an inspection. Could mean bad news for you. All im saying is cover your bases if you want to hold on to those vt tags out of state.
    phillyrube likes this.
  17. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Virginia did something similar, with military members whose cars were registered out of state. Had to have Va inspection. No feedback to the other state if you did not get it, except you could be denied access to the base.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  18. zooomer

zooomer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am working with Vermont DMV right now trying to register and tag my 06 KTM 400exc... Original owner never got a Certificate of Origin or title... They want that in Vermont to register. I have jumped through all the other hoops...
    How can I get a CoO?
  19. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because your ktm is less than 15 years old. Wait three more years and it will work without the COO.
  20. zooomer

zooomer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really?? How can I get a COO now though? Is it possible through a dealer?