How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    No, a dealer cannot issue a COO to anyone other than the original owner of the brand new bike. They often cannot even re-issue a COO to the original owner after the original has been lost.

I guarantee the original owner of your bike got the COO when he bought it new. All new motorcycles that are not titled by the dealer come with a COO. He must have lost it or forgot about it. They're fairly unremarkable looking pieces of paper. Not to be a downer, but you aren't going to get a COO for your bike unless the original owner finds it.

If you want to register in Vermont, you'll have to wait until the bike is 15 years old. I'm not familiar with N.C. laws, but some states have a process to obtain titles for dirt bikes. They're branded with "off road vehicle" or "do not register" or some such marking. That might* be good enough proof of ownership for Vermont or you may be able to convert such a title to be register able by passing some sort of enhanced inspection in your own state? Title conversion process differ from state to state ad I'm not familiar with N.C. Make sure you know what you're doing before you go the "off road vehicle" title route though, once that's in the system some states will refuse to ever register it or make it road legal. There are ways, it just depends on the state.
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Do you have this in writing somewhere? We lived (and owed a house) in northern VA while my wife was stationed in VA. All our vehicles were registered in our home state of NY. Never an issue getting on base even with expired NY inspection stickers. The guards at the gates could care less what was going on with you vehicle as long as your military ID was up to snuff.
  3. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was back when you had to have a base decal to get on base. They did away with that years ago, but to get the decal you had to have a valid inspection.
  4. Laconic

Laconic Berserker Nativist

Oddometer:
    I found a 1984 100cc bike I want to buy in North Carolina. The guy is going to send me the VIN so I can verify its not stolen. After that it sounds like this Vermont angle is the perfect way to get the bike legal and legitimate.
    ben2go likes this.
  5. CarKid1989

CarKid1989 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I am reading over this like crazy and read VT papers about this and while I think I have a grasp on this I wanted to run it by you here.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 Buddy 150 Italia. No title but not stolen. Something about a deceased person owned it and title lost.

Its under 300cc so that's easy but its under 15 years old.

So am I out of luck? Whats my options.

**Edit**
    Called Vermont and walked through the process and lady agreed with my plan. Off to get a bill of sale from previous owner
  6. Dub_ADV

Dub_ADV Back in the saddle again.

Oddometer:
    Can you register an out of state utility trailer in VT (or any other state)? NJ will not register a trailer without a copy of the prior registration even with a notarized bill of sale. Prior owner does not have it and the VIN is not in the NJ MV database. Kinda stuck.

Also, the trailer Mfg date is 2002 so it is older than 15yrs.
  7. Sidecar Jockey

Sidecar Jockey Bike Doctor

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about registering trailers in VT, but Maine seems to be the go-to state for trailer registrations. Might be worth looking into Maine, I know they do out of state registrations and are fairly easy and inexpensive for trailers.
    ben2go likes this.
  8. Dub_ADV

Dub_ADV Back in the saddle again.

Oddometer:
    @SJ - Appreciate it, will look into Maine options.
  9. T444E

T444E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone done this recently with a bike over the 300cc or whatever? I have an 85 VF1000R and I need the registration to trandfer to a title. Haven't done this in a few years, want to know if anything changed

Thanks
  10. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did it with a toy hauler. No problems.
    WECSOG likes this.
  11. horsinaround

horsinaround Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes VT will do it. I did a little utility trailer recently without issue.
    WECSOG likes this.
  12. Nellyinda803

Nellyinda803 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, looking to get some help.

I bought a 2009 Suzuki GSXR 600 about a year ago from a guy in Texas. He gave me an official bill of sale and a Louisiana title to the bike. The back of the title already was signed from him and like a fool I didn't get him to get the title put in his name before giving it to me. Now I can't register it and cannot find the guy at all. Is there a way the Vermont registration idea will work for me?
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.southcarolinaautotitle.com/
  14. Nellyinda803

Nellyinda803 n00b

Oddometer:
  15. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be, SC allows for a bonded title...

I emailed them for you...help@scdmvonline.com

I'll let you know what they say, if anything.
  16. Nellyinda803

Nellyinda803 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help, although I doubt they'll give much of a reply!
  17. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I found the Texas, MVD people to be quite helpful when I got my bike with no title.
  18. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

Their response today:

We do not do a bonded title. If no title do not purchase because you cannot title and register without a title.

Stephanie

Visit http://www.scdmvonline.com/Driver-Services/Drivers-License/REAL-ID for more information on REAL ID.
  19. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't you love government employees who strive to serve the tax payers by helping in any way they can?
    :hmmmmm

"Can't be done. We don't do that. That's impossible. Never been done. Go away and have a nice day..."
  20. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, to be fair....Texas and a few other states DO have a process for a bonded title.

Some don't and I can't even begin to try to rationalize it. Seems like a chance to miss some revenue...and THAT is why they exist in the first place.

Another option, and this will require a little research is to file

South Carolina Code 56-5-5630. Notice to owners and lienholders; payment for release of vehicle; liability of lienholders; stolen vehicles

Since you don't know the last owner....you might be able to claim that it was abandoned on your property. Therein might risk that the police will want to impound it.

Or take it to Texas and get a bonded title there. In three years it reverts to an unbranded title.
    JagLite likes this.