How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. DarkCecil

DarkCecil n00b

Oddometer:
    FYI - I just contacted the Vermont DMV to see if this is still a thing. Here is their response:

Original Message: I am a Rhode Island resident. I want to register a motorcycle, a 1990 Suzuki RMX-250. The VIN is JS1PJ11A3L210xxxx. Engine is smaller than 300cc. I do not have a title, and the bike was not manufactured with an odometer. All I have is a bill of sale. Can you walk me through the process of registering my motorcycle by mail?

Vermont DMV: You will need to complete a registration application (attached) and submit to the DMV at 120 State Street Montpelier VT 05603 along with the bill of sale and a check or money order. The registration fee is $48 and the tax is 6% of either the purchase price or book value (whichever is higher). The book value for this bike is $680.

:D:D:D
    Jarlaxle, JagLite and phillyrube like this.
  3. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It still works, I did it last month for my '70 Trail 90. :rayof
    Paebr332 and JagLite like this.
  4. wolfgang123

wolfgang123 n00b

Oddometer:
    Does this work for a bike that are newer than 15 years and over 300cc?

Looking at a original owner 2015 wr450f with no title (never issued when new bought in South Carolina) but need to find a way to plate it!

Also does anyone have a bill of sale template they could provide? Does VT have any kind of special requests around the format and information on the bill of sale?
  5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Long shot, but...do you know the original selling dealer? If so...they might still have paperwork for it.
  6. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey
    hey duck, how current is that info. I live in wa. state. I was told by the dmv that if you buy a bike out of state you don't have to register for as long as you like. IE: you need to work on it for 6 months or something. If you buy the bike in wa. state and you live in wa. state you have 15 days to transfer it to your name.
    I had no idea of this when I bought a ct90 here in wa. state and did not register it for quite some time. When I did it cost me a shit pot full of money as they charge a fee on a per day basis.
  7. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Confirmation that this works! I bought an '03 with no title. Drove to VT to get the VIN verification (CT wouldn't do it). Sent in a bill-of-sale, application, and VIN check. Today I received a license plate! Apparently I'll receive my registration and current sticker in a few days.
    JagLite and WECSOG like this.
  8. T444E

T444E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok anyone tried with a cager that's over 15yo ?
  9. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a few examples with cars if you Google.

Here's one:
  10. T444E

T444E Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did some digging on the DMV site. Seems it has to be 25yo.
    Car I'm looking at is only 19.
  11. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I called them for the same thing on a 1997 Suzuki RMX250. They told me it was not a street bike so they couldn't do anything.

Can you PM me the contact you have?

Thanks