How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    It took me right at 4 weeks to get my plate.
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Patience Grasshopper...

:hide
  3. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It took about a month, and that was pre-COVID.
  4. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    ...aaaaaand the tag and sticker arrived yesterday. :clap
    bronciii, JagLite and guywithchickens like this.
  5. NotFromTX

NotFromTX n00b

Oddometer:
    So as of late July I can confirm that the Vermont strategy does work. Got my VT plates, sticker and other docs.
    I created an account to see if anyone had any input on my specific scenario.
    The bike in question is a '78 CX500 I bought in Texas. Some things were wrong with the original title so I had to go the VT way (which worked just fine).
    Come this past summer and I go to my local tax office in Texas to register my VT bike and they mentioned that there was a 50% chance my application might be rejected and I would need to go the bonded title way because my bike has a Texas title still out there (which I physically posses).
    After three ish weeks of waiting I finally received my Texas title for this bike in my name and whatnot (yay for me!).
    One thing I do need to mention is that the bike had not been registered, bought/sold etc. since the original buyer back in '78 (making me technically the second owner).
    Now, my question is if I got my Texas title because it was registered legally in VT or because the last time it was registered was back in '78 making the title super old to the point where the state believes the original title was lost sometime in the 40+ years of the bikes life.
    I ask because there's a '78 CB750 near me I would love to get my hands on but also no title.

Thanks in advance
  6. tonusmaximus

tonusmaximus maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 1977 gs550 still sits rebuilt in my garage rwady to ride sans plate. Canmot persuade any LEO or county clerk here in KY to sign off on vin verification although they ran it and its clean. Stinks
  7. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My VT registration expires the end of October. Still haven't received a renewal notice in the mail. Anybody know how early they send these? Starting to worry...