How to get proof of ownership for a bike w/no title

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by D0N, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I think guywithchickens is correct. VIN verification is probably what they need. Your local PD can do that and fill in the appropriate form.
  2. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping the VIN verification was the simple answer, but from the start they were pretty clear that the VIN verification has been waved:

"Safety inspection has not been waived. All Vermont registered vehicles need to be inspected every year. The VIN Verification was waived because of the pandemic."

However - I did receive this email response today when I asked if I would be receiving a registration and permanent plate in the mail when the temp tag expires, regardless of whether or not I get an MD inspection. Only a 24 hour wait this time, maybe they are getting tired of me:

"Hi Ben,
    That is correct unless your temporary registration was because you needed more documentation such as the title being with the lien holder. In that case you would receive your permanent reg and sticker after we received the title. If you did not receive a letter than you should receive your reg and sticker approx. 3-4 weeks after receiving your plate."

Vermont DMV seems to have sent me a temp tag even to get an inspection at my own discretion, with plans to send a registration and tag at a later date. They were pretty confusing in their initial responses until I was able to get enough responses to put this together. I am still a bit skeptical about all of this, since I've never heard of anyone having to go through this extra step but I guess I can only go by what they are telling me.
    guywithchickens likes this.
  3. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Well, if you received a tag at all I think you have enough to go about getting a title in your own state. I just took my little 3x5 registration card into the stalag DMV office. After 45 minutes of "let me check with my supervisor" they decided it was adequate to give me a title.
    guywithchickens likes this.
  4. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be nice if it were that easy. Its just a paper tag though, with no paper registration of any kind. I don't think the DMV in Maryland would accept what I have as a legit way to convert to a clean MD title.

ABC5E1B6-7668-416E-8E8B-8689587D515A.jpeg
  5. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    Weird. I got a metal tag.