How to inspect the valves on a KTM LC4 In three easy steps.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Oct 8, 2004.

1. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    I like the new 300. If I we didn't have the big Yukon XL already guzzling gas, I would jump on a 300 Hemi wagon when it comes out. (I hope they do it. Probably cannibalize Pacifica sales, but oh well.) I feel the need for a modern diesel, but will probably wait for low sulphur fuel to become available. Maybe VW will bring over the GTI diesel. We are at 58k on our Passat, so 165k sounds reassuring. Which motor? 1.8t, 12v V6, or 30v V6?
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    JFK, if OVAD gets to be in the Hall of Wisdom then by GOD this should be too. Creeper, just give it a funny acronym (KVAD v1.0?) and acrobat it and dag nabit Rad can you please put it in the hall of wisdom? We promise v2.0 will have pics - as soon as somebody does a valve job. :D
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I posted the guide (without smilies :cry ) in KTMTalk. Jeb pinned (sticky'ed) it in the "valve adjustments - 4 strokes" forum.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=77948

Creep
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Maybe Rad is workin on it... he said as much to others. Creep, do you have the full Acrobat to PDF it; if not I do and can send it back PDFed. :thumb
  5. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Not try'n to rat out da boss, but I'm wait'n on him for da Ok and to do it....Guess I did rat him out :lol3

I'm sure it will be reflected in my next performance review :huh
  6. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :freaky (prematurely) thanks for pushin for this Rad. :thumb
  7. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    NOW you've made the big time :D

Thanks again for writing this up. Do you want me to write up "how to replace your ignition switch" or maybe, "how to install handguard spoilers" :rofl :rofl

Sorry, it's all I've got to offer, man! :nod
  8. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are things you know about that are "black art" for others.

Did I read that you would "splash a mold" on a part... KTiMs fairing I believe?
    Obviously you know something about fiberglass and by extension, probably something about CF.
    As there are very few glass or CF parts available for the Adventure... other than some $600 low mount fenders... and of course KTiMs fairing, you should maybe make me a low fender :evil and then do a DIY how-to on how to duplicate it.
  9. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Black Art! If I do it, I will splash it off my 1999-vintage mask/windscreen and possibly modify the "windscreen" bit. I am not a big fan of Barcaloungers or big fairings on this bike. If you have seen pre-2001 windscreens, they have a vertical trough up the center, fading into an upturned lip (forward turned?)

Should I make it like e-line, with cheap fiberglass matt, and only the outer layer carbonio? Cha-ching! I may borrow a friends vacuum pump setup, and vacuum bag the things. Anyway, talk is cheap and I have a four year old and lots of other obligations. The skills & materials aren't an issue, but time is. I will broadcast the results when it happens.

On carbon, it looks sexy, and if the application warrants... I was racing on carbon sailboats back in the early 80s. Awesome stuff, but fiberglass & kevlar/twaron are much better in shear and abrasion. Every one is posing with carbon. Have you ever seen a carbon coffee table? Depth & lustre like nothing else...

...except mink, maybe, barely covering her nip...er, sorry! :arg Mammar...er, memories!! Carbon furniture, and wealthy West Australian lasses were a great combo. :nod
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    I knew I shouldn't have said anything... just trying to scam a fender, and you go all looney tunes about CF coffee tables and shit... geeezzzze :huh :lol3
  11. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Carbon fiber simply triggers different thoughts in different people. :rofl
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Apparently.... :huh

I still think you should think about making something and documenting the process, so a no nothing... like me for example, could duplicate it.
    I know I would appriciate it. :clap
  13. RedWarrior

RedWarrior dumbfounded dipshit

Oddometer:
    Creep,

Just read the write up. Sweet, man. You should write the service manuals for the refrigeration units I work on.

One question... Assuming one is good with a wrench, how many beers should it take to complete the job?

:slurp
  14. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Couldn't tell ya' RW. I don't drink when I work on stuff... Actually, I don't really drink much at all. If I were to guess... considering the time alloted, plus additional time to drink beer... and taking into account how much beer people who really like beer can drink... I'd say, 5 beers?
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Lush.

I call it a 3 beer job. But when I'm doing a KVAD I also do an oil and filter change, so that makes it a 4 beer deal. Start to finish all that, call it 2.5 to 3 hours, not in a rush, a nice nights work. :slurp
  16. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    There you go, an actual statement from an actual beer drinker.
    Drifty: KVAD/O&F = 1 Beer per hr. (I'm guessing that in August, this could go 1.5 per hr.)

Of course, this may be adjusted after Loaded provides his beer/time ratios.
    :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp :slurp
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Got the word from Rad earlier today.

The guide is going into the Hall of Wisdom. It is the first KTM specific piece to be admitted.

Thanks Rad for your efforts to get it there, and thanks again to my friends, who's insight, goodwill and humor help finish it.

Chris
  18. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Congratulations, Creep! Good job Rad! :thumb :thumb
  19. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Input from loaded will be invalid due to OCD tendencies towards cleaning, coupled with obvious inability to do two things at once. :D
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Our plan is working perfectly... soon all will be KTM...

:pope