How to inspect the valves on a KTM LC4 In three easy steps.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Oct 8, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Goody for you "coldcuts"... I was born in LA, raised in San Diego/Escondido/Riverside/San Berdoo/Fontana... moved to Phoenix... moved to Seattle... next stop... the grave. :grim
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    so chris had that completely bassackwards eh? hmmm, is this a coloradaho thing? :evil
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Altitude sickness... brain cells dying by the thousands, every day.
    :cry Poor Chris :cry
  4. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Oh, bite me...you two Turdlets

I too was born in LA, and my brain cells have been thriving ever since leaving that smog ridden hell-hole more than a decade ago (even at this rarified altitude).... :ksteve
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Turdlets?... man, that hurts. :lol3
  6. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    it worked, with nearly no cussing and definatly no wrench throwing. thanks to you for it. and thankfully the valves were spot on so no adjustment was needed. that would have been a whole other can of worms. so i owe you one creeper. a can. of beer not worms.
    scott :D :rofl :lol3
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yer' welcome Scott. :thumb
  8. techieguy

techieguy Lost in the woods

Oddometer:
    Creep,

Someone has made a video on KTM valve adjustment! It is eBay item 4555288505.
  9. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to send a shout out to the Creepmeister and thank him for walking this bonehead through finding TDCC and taking the time to do this writeup. He is good people.
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Kinda' fun doing "4-stroke 101" by phone. :lol3
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Hey, I am off with my ladies but just wanted to say I just completed my first (ever) valve adjustment, courtesy of creeper... :bow

review, pics, and experiences (stupidity... :lol3) to follow...

:wave
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    So this weekend it was time to inspect the valves. I hadn't done it before but I wanted to be able to do these maintenance items on my own. So thanks to creeper's guide I felt comfortable enough to give it a try. I mean what's the worst that can happen? :cob

Well, I finally have an adequate assortment of necessary tools: torque wrenches, etc. but found I could still use more (when will it end?). The guide was complete enough for anyone that should be trying this solo. Maybe some other details for those that are in remedial wrenchin' skool. Obviously the service manual is only adequate for someone who really doesn't need it in the first place:

[​IMG]

As you can see some details are assumed unnecessary... I also post this pic because the diagram was helpful to me in knowing where to shove the feeler gauge. Nothing like trying to shove your tool in the wrong spot eh? :lol3 Creeper's pics of his gauge in the gap also show this well.

Well access is the big issue. And I am not quite sure what extension or articulated bloody adapter might get you in there and allow you to set torque values? Hey torque monkeys: if you use an articulated adapter is the torque value on the wrench still valid? :ear The frame is public enemy #1 - just sucks for access.

[​IMG]
    Too bad unless you pull your motor to check/adjust your valves. :razor

Motion pro gauges are good. I got a 5mm allen "socket" but it was too long to fit under the frame and use so... I couldn't truly set the torque value on the rocker cover bolts :cry Lucky I could set the torque values on the jam nuts cause without that, why do it in the first place? :dunno Speaking of torque values on the jam nuts (counternuts), the manual says 20Nm (over 150in/lbs) which is more than 12ft/lbs (144in/lbs) - see pic above. Which should I use (I chose 20Nm for now; hope its ok :eek1)

Disassembly. Everything went ok. I found I had to pull the front rocker cover to frame vent hose before I could remove the cooling fan. I also removed the tank mount that was giving me grief (one screw...). I had to use a screwdriver to release the cooling fan tabs.

I didn't remove the radiator - maybe if you needed to do maintenance on it but otherwise its not necessary. I didn't have a problem with the radiators exactly, but the radiator hoses sucked! :fitz See pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But you can work around them; it just cost more blood and skin :lol3

I left the decomp cable attached to the rocker arm cover - no biggie.

Clipped a few zip ties , one on the decomp/fan/thermo wiring (starboard) and two on the bundle on the port side of the boat. Note the fuel level wire is not in the lower bundle...

TDC - damn 4-strokes and their two stroke cycles... :bluduh. lucky creeper wrote this nice simple guide so I didn't have to figure out how to use that lil window that is always slimed up. Had no problems with this, other than the straw getting caught between the piston and the cylinder... guess I wasn't supposed to leave it in there the whole time, but it was so cool when it fires out like a rocket! :tb

Best advice for this whole thing creeper already gave; take your time, explore, learn, and repeat everything multiple times. I spent about 6 hours playing, learning, and being preter-careful, because, well, if you fuk up then you have to send your head to creeper and pay the full price of being stoopid. :nod hopefully I did do it right so I don't have to eat my own blather. :D

Moment of Truth... :eek1
    For me this was THE most difficult part. Part of that was I have no valve adusting experience. Chain yes, cables, yes, even spark plug gaps and "drag" on the gauge... But something that cares about +/-0.001" - no. Luckly I got some additional info from the man hisself :smooch a light touch on the gauge, two fingers is all. and play around to learn something: loosen the jam nut and tighten/loosen and feel the resistance change. I found that from almost no drag to stuck was about 2 hours on the clock! Not much... I will let creeper expound if he wants but I wanna stop there just in case my recollectin' is poor. please correct me if i am mistaken, mighta been to many gas fumes in the garage. :jose

So I played and checked, loosened, checked, torqued (too loose), loosened, checked... etc. Only one (the last one around midnight :rolleyes) seemed to wanna tighten when I torqued the jam nut; but this coulda been access and my socket moving the adjuster screw when I was trying to torque the jam nut. :dunno

Got it closed up and almost reassembled around 1am but then, all bleary eyed, thought maybe I should wait for a fresh set of eyeballs :evil good thing: the fan wasn't clipped in the back - watch for that, its easy to miss. Got it together, Rolled it out of the garage, fired it up...

Started easier, much easier, than before. Idled better. I was letting it warm up and bragging to the missus and :fitz it just died... :eek1 It only took a second to realize I hadn't turned on the gas :rofl :doh after that it idled great. More checks to do, but I think I might have suceeded. good thing cause the consequences of failure can be severe... :grim
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Still running Meat? Any noises? Starts fine hot?
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    gawd that was alot of smiles in my post :arg

Still runnin'! No noises yet; starts just fine hot and I did not detect any disconcerting noises in the top end so I guess I got them close enough! :freaky

last night after the warm up test in the driveway mentioned above i took it for a spin, but when i started it, it didn't want to start (had to give it a bunch of throttle with no choke)! then i remembered i was screwing around with the air screw and probably misadjusted it. but then it started fine this morning and at lunch so... musta been a glitch :dunno i will adjust the BST according to the holy documents :bow :pope wednesday before the big ride :ricky

thanks to you creepy I could spend a couple hundred on tools and beer instead of somebody's shop, and learned a bunch about the bike and became more comfortable with digging around in it.

for example, i saw that the manual decomp lever physically pushes on a rocker arm so when converted soul took his 640a to Africa and was using it to help the electric start work easier (starter gear trouble) he was really dancin' with the devil eh! :eek1.

now just some fine tuning on the carb and I should be good to go! i really do think its running better overall. no seat of the pants HP improvement statements available... :patch
  15. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Actually, that’s a common thing to do on a bike with a weak battery... or a high compression racer. Not something I'd do if it weren't a necessity, but still a common procedure that has a minimal negative effect.

And so Meathopper, in performing the Holy valve inspection/experimentation/adjustment, you have moved on to the next level of technical aptitude... congratulations! :clap

ChrisC, keeper of the technical awards will be sending your orange sash in the mails. :pope
  16. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Okie dokie - i worried that the lever would end up hurting the cam lobe with the interference... guess that's just my condritis acting up... :D

Oooh, an award!
    Is that the one that I put my merit badges on? :evil
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    But of course... just like George here.

[​IMG]
  18. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm in the same boat, ship, vessel etc as Meat. I'm ready to dive in and tackle the valves. The 05 just turned over 4,200 miles, first adjustment was from the the dealership...this ones on me --Creepers guide, lots-o-tools and a whole lotts hours..wish me luck.

If anybody in the Sound area wants to join in, , make front of, tell bad jokes, drink a beer for me, or just hang out you're more than welcome to. I can even travel to your place if necessary, but the motor has to be cold to do a proper adjustment. If I do it here in Bremerton I'll use the base auto hobby shop.

Let the games begin

Cheers
    Darin
    :ear
  19. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    She can come too....:crash
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    George is a guy. :nod