How to know when it's time to sell?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Drop_Center, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once your bike has gone up for sale, but then you've have second thoughts about selling it, is there any going back to complete happiness? I've taken it off the market several times but the longest I can go is a week without wanting to sell it again. Doesn't matter if I don't ride it or I take it out for a reconciliation attempt.

I'm bored with it right now but I don't know how I'll feel a year from now.
  2. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    I wish I had every bike that I have ever sold !!
  3. willis 2000

willis 2000 neo-quixote

Oddometer:
    In what way would a replacement be less boring?
    High Country Herb likes this.
  4. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I go through bikes a lot. Bikes are material things, easily replaced. If you're not happy with it, sell it and get something else. If you miss it, buy another one like it. Getting another bike is always exciting and fun.
  5. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't sell bikes. Sold one once and felt horrible about it.
    That's why I have 8 garages. Full.

Do you guys think I might have a problem?
    My wife does. And she only knows about half of them.
    Lol!
  6. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy. That would be whenever you find yourself salivating over a different bike.

That's why I'm busy polishing up my 690 this weekend. 'Cause the guys at Capitol Cycle are tired of wiping my drool off the 500 EXC in the showroom, so we're gonna make a trade.

Seriously, though, unlike a couple of riding buds who seem determined to have owned one of every bike ever built before they die, I've always been one of those inclined toward keeping bikes a relatively long time; like a favorite pair of jeans. I think I've owned somewhere around 60 bikes by now, so obviously it doesn't always work out that way. But that's always the intent when I buy one.

The bike I owned for the longest time was....wait for it...a 1973 Honda TL125; Honda's first production Trials bike. I kept (and yes, rode) that bike for 25 years.

Another keeper seems to be my 2013 KTM 990 SMT (Super Moto Travel). I dearly love that thing. It's become sort of a weird game to watch for bikes that I might consider replacing it (the new 790 being the most recent example), but nothing measures up. I like it when I develop that kind of attachment.

Another keeper was my 2000 Gas Gas TXT 321. It's the second 321 I owned after a string of newer modern Trials bikes since the first one I bought in '98. Anyone who has ridden one probably knows what I mean. The 321 is such a big sweet mellow Trials torque monster! Such a great play bike in the woods. But I'm finally letting it go, 'cause I've got the Honda-Montesa now, and will use the revenue to pay for a few accessories for the 500EXC.

JET
  7. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When? Easy, right after getting a better bike to replace it. I keep moving up in CCs and years.

A final test ride of the old followed by the newer one really makes the parting easy.
    Also, I was happy to see the new owner get a good bike and a good deal.
  8. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    My biggest hangup is the memories I have of enjoying the hell out of it. But I think I've had enough bikes to know that feeling doesn't come back, just like physical relationships.
  9. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    BTDT.
    When it's a beautiful day, you have no commitments, you step into the garage, and the sight of the bike does not make you want to ride, it's time to move on to something that will.
    RedEX likes this.
  10. Cloud Roamer

Cloud Roamer i do it in the road.

Oddometer:
    . ... the technical term for that is idolatry.
    Just sayin'
    M->
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good question, in this case I would just go from 3 bikes to 2. The bike in question is an FJR, but I also have a Bandit 1250 that will do just about anything the FJR will. My ultimate goal is to better my housing situation.
  12. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an SMT, what a thrilling and fun bike, I know exactly why you like it so much. I feel that way about my 919, it's like Honda built it just for me. I've had it for 6 years and can't imagine not owning one. So I am capable of keeping the right bike but FJR's just doesn't seem to hold my interest for more than a year.
  13. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    It's time to sell when you use the handlebars as a coat rack to dry your shirts...
  14. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard that they must spark joy. Otherwise......
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    To a certain extent I miss most of the bikes I've sold (not all). The only one I REALLY regret selling is this street legal TTR125L (just so much fun with 10 HP).

But I tend to agree with some of the above guys. Bikes are physical possessions. If the old one isn't doing it for you, then its okay to sell it and look for something else. I don't see it as a big deal to buy back the same model bike you sold a few years ago because you miss it.

If you have the space and the money then by all means have a warehouse full of 50+ bikes. (and invite us over to play with them!)
    TonyKZ1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. 51%

51% ReadyToRide

Oddometer:
    Anything you own that depreciates and doesn't bring you some joy is past it's sell by date.

:hmmmmm

Say, anyone interested in a perfectly reliable but boring truck? :lol3
  17. insomnia

insomnia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a bike to replace one I have for many years and many miles . its been a good bike and served me well but the mileage is getting high and I am bored with it . I have out grown it and I think its time to sell it off while its still worth something if I rack up very big mileage it will be worn out and possibly need an engine rebuild or replacement so its time to go its replacement is low mileage and in perfect motoring order my other bike is the same low miles and in great order . I don't miss any bike I ever sold and I wont miss this one either I will remember it as being a good bike that I had a lot of fun on but I am going to have twice the fun on my new bike as I get a major buzz from riding it . I don't want to own 3 bikes 2 is enough for me and even one would do if I had no bike I fear I would most lightly completely lose my shit bikes are the only thing keeping the candle behind my eyes lighting . without bikes there is nothing .
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel that way about my 2003 Gen1 FZ1. I had a bunch of awesome times on it. Mountain carving weekends, multiday trips, even a few track days. I brought it out of storage for a bit last year but didn't click with as well as I used to so it ended up back in my basement rather than in the garage where the bikes I actually ride live.

I've thought about selling it many times... The money it would bring is less than my desire to hold on to it in case I get the urge to break it back out of mothball storage again though. Always will have a soft spot for the Bumble Bee.

20181119_215350.jpg
  19. KirkN

KirkN Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bikes?! Oh goodness, for me, they come and they go! I've had over 100 in 47 years of riding since the first at about 6 yrs old.

Like others said, if you don't like one, sell it and get another. If you really miss one, get another like it! Out of those 100, there's only 2 or 3 I'd like back, but even then, there's still a lot of others to sample!
    Maggot12 and Drop_Center like this.
  20. SmittyBlackstone

SmittyBlackstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, it's more than tree.....
    Like 60 something of them things