[How To] Lower a CRF250L Rally using CRF250L parts.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Kray, May 30, 2017.

1. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Step one) Find a used regular CRF250L rear spring/shock/dogbone assembly. This assembly will bolt right into your Rally and result in a 1" lower seat height. I found the entire assemble on eBay for $94 shipped to my door lightly used.

Potential OEM Part #s found on bikebandit.com search:
    Want to lower your regular non-Rally CRF250L? Just use the longer Rally dogbone arm:
    ROD SUB-ASSY., CUSHION CONNECTING 52475-KZZ-J00 - $82.95

[​IMG]

Step two) Remove the stock shock with red spring, tribolt assembly, and dogbone from your bike. Reuse the stock Rally dogbone for extra lowering ability. It's almost as effective as a Kouba Link.

Rally on top. CRFL on bottom.
    [​IMG]

Step three) grease your tribolt assembly! I've seen a lot of misinformation surrounding this point so let's set this straight.

You remove the sleeved insert and grease the needle bearing as pictured below. There is no need to slather the poor bolts in grease. Stop wasting grease. The needle bearing need the grease. Use a quality waterproof bel-ray grease for best results and work it into the needle bearings GENTLY.

[​IMG]

Step four) install regular CRF250L shock assembly into your Rally. It will bolt right up. Not much to say here. Once the top bolt is in place you can begin assembling the lower parts.

All bolts are 32lbft except for the bolt that attaches to the swing-arm. That guy is 17mm on both sides and torques to 55lbft.

I recommend using the regular CRFL dogbone first to see how it feels. If you need the seat even lower, go ahead and swap for the Rally dogbone. My wife and I both have 29" inseams and prefer with the Rally dogbone.

[​IMG]

Step five) Swap Rally kickstand and springs for either the regular CRF250L kickstand and springs or buy an adjustable aftermarket kickstand.

Notes from the author: I'm posting this from my iPhone. As soon as I have access to a real computer I will go back and add more detail wherever possible.

Also, anyone with a regular CRF250L can utilize the Rally's longer dogbone to lower their bike approximately 1" for nearly half the cost of a brand name lowering link. Just find the part on bikebandit.com or eBay or your local Honda dealer.

Thanks and enjoy this cost effective solution, inmates!
  2. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent work. Is there any pivot-to-pivot difference between the L and Rally rocker (tribolt) assemblies? What was your total lowering with the L shock and tribolt combined with the Rally dogbone, 2"?

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 2013-2016 CRF250L rear shock (52400-KZZ-305) and the 2017 CRF250L (52400_KZZ-D11)? Obviously the Rally shock (52400-KZZ-J11) is longer eye-to-eye, longer stroke and has a red spring.
  3. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can someone explain why so many think they want/need to lower this bike?

There was a lowering link on my WR250R when I got it but after a year of riding I took it off.

The bike handles and rides better without it and the extra ground clearance is better when off road, which is what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  4. Andysrage

Andysrage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is your height, inseam and weight? This may explain it.
  5. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    That's good stuff there Krause. Thanks.
    For us hot riders, more travel on old bikes Mahahaaaa (evil laugh)
  6. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't matter how the bike rides if your legs aren't long enough to get on the damn thing.

People lower them for ergonomic reasons, not performance changes
  7. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Here's a tip. Get on the bike like a horse. Put your left foot on the left peg, stand and swing your leg over the bike. Easy.

The advantage of a dirt bike is that it can clear rocks, small downed trees, etc. If you lower the bike, you defeat that purpose.

Many short riders have no problem with a dirt bike. Some even start the bike moving before mounting like a horse.
  8. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good points. And you don't really need to flat foot a dual sport bike to ride it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  9. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is common place for dirt bikes but can get you killed on the road. It is not safe or logical to not be able to securely hold up a machine in traffic.

For those vertically challenged riders, like myself and my wife, we need options to say safe on public roads to ensure many years of riding to come.

The Rally is my wife's motorcycle and her first major two wheeled machine. It's still very much anxiety inducing for her to just be in traffic. The last thing I want her to worry about is if she can get her foot down during an emergency situation.

We bought the Rally because it's not a dirt bike but also not a street bike. This machine will allow her to follow me on my Africa Twin. The Rally has lower smooth power, comfortable soft suspension, but still provides wind protection, dirt road abilities, and modern bright lighting for touring duty.
  10. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Many short inseam riders who ride on woods trails and who travel on rough Latin American roads will agree that lower is better. Crossing a boulder strewn river where you have to dab your foot or paddle along will result in a tipped over and drowned moto if it's too high, for just one example. A lowered moto will clear rocks and downed trees. Use momentum and accept that your bash plate will perform its intended function.

If you ride in areas that are not open desert or similar, there are many reasons for short inseam riders to ride a low moto. A moto too high, and in fact you will tip it over much more than with a moto that you can put your foot down. It's common and accepted knowledge among my dirt riding buddies where I live. Adventure riding and desert racing are two absolutely different endeavors.
    RowBust likes this.
  11. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Good points. If you need to paddle through sand and water, then a lower bike makes sense. The better dirt riders around here don't have to paddle. Please note that I am not one of them. I paddle through short sections of deep sand and water. But I do have a 32 inch inseam, so don't need to lower.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you could than resell your rally hardware to someone with a L to increase seat height/clearance.

Or ask to do a swap.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    How much ground clearance was lost?
    Any pre and post measurement?

What about lowering the forks done in the triple clamps too?
  14. Kray

Kray Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unknown, but I'd wager an inch or so.

What this does is essentially lower your Rally to
    a normal CRF250L's height.

In the front we installed handlebar risers and lowered the forks to the maximum level that the clamps would allow.

This makes for an almost unnoticeable ride and a much lower Rally.
    pgod1960 likes this.
  15. dochollis

dochollis n00b

Oddometer:
    I want to upgrade my Rallys stock shock to Ohlins and lower it about an inch. Can I order and install an Ohlins shock for the regular crf250l on my Rally? That would accomplish both objectives.
  16. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try doing that in traffic
  17. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I want to comment, in defense of both newer riders and also short inseam riders. The trails where "no one wants to go" require numerous dabs to keep upright. I'm not talking paddling. It doesn't matter how good you are, you will dab along the way. Those are the fun places to go!

If a moto has 1 or 2 inches less clearance, then you need momentum to get over something 1 or 2 inches taller. That's what a skid plate is for, and even a taller moto in those conditions will hit something even taller. I'm a 29 inch inseam rider and ride a 33 inch saddle height moto, which is a good fit. Put a 32 inch inseam rider on a 36 inch saddle height for the same fit.

In the end it's having fun exploring in the woods or exploring third world back road places. That's what we are doing, having fun! But to have fun, you need to ride a moto that fits you,
  18. RowBust

RowBust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately they don't make the bike I need and want