How to make a R1150GS faster??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by afrikaanerdanie, Mar 1, 2010.

1. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am well aware of that. The opposite change though is not accompanied by changes of exhaust and fueling, therefore is not on the same league.

So, with all the above mods (cannot comment about the diffrences at otherwise stock bikes) the RS tubes help the bike to have a lot crispier and faster throttle response. Easy riders migh prefer the GS tubes. Uneasy throttle jockeys like myself would have never looked back.
  2. mg8

mg8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cam 9 degree advance could be thrown in for more torque and Hpower at lower rpms. I am considering this after I install the Akrapovic full sytem on my R1200GS. The Ohlins upgrade can help with staying in the throttle deeper into turns = higher rpms better exit speeds. All of these mods run up the investment in big increments. A dirrection that I have embraced as the bike has a very comfortable riding position. I sat on a S1000RR and I just don't think I could whole-heartly adapt to a sportbike due to the riding position. I agree with the coment (paraphrased) "light = faster", maybe a R1200S is a better bike for you. The warranty has probably expired but the dealer support is one of the best values of buying a BMW vs the others, IMHO.

+1 on the Orange comment. The power to weight ratios are much more favorable for Mr. Hyde streak in all of us :evil
  3. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    CPAT likes this.
  4. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the best advice you got. The 1150 isn't ever going to be truly "fast" if you're just twisting the throttle on a straight road. It is however, one of the best cornering bikes you'll ever ride if you learn how to do it right.

I had mine at a Reg Pridmore class at VIR last year. The sport bikes passed me like a bunch of angry hornets in the straight. In the corners, I put those guys to shame. Other riders came up to me after track sessions to figure out what the hell I was doing. When they realized I was at my first track event on a bone stock 1150GS, they just hung their heads. The bike is friggin' awesome in a corner. By the end of the day, I was able to put so much distance between myself and the sport guys in the twisties that they couldn't catch me in the straight.

Go to www.classrides.com and see if they offer anything in your area. Its worth it. You'll be doing things on that 1150 that you didn't think possible.
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever ridden a 1150 with the mods I suggested?
    If not, go ride one and report back.
    Fast is a relative quality.
  6. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    WRT the throttle response, I'll take your word for it.
    But since you quote pretty accurate numbers for HP gain, I'd like to see some data to back up your claims.

--
    Mikko
  7. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    goto www.bbpower.de and check the dynograph on stage3

I have never taken my bike to the dyno, but I did repeatedly check my top speed. I could see on the average 125 before on the tacho and 135-138 after (level ground no wind etc, i was pretty scientific on that one)
    More so, post treatment, I was able to move 500rpm up the rev range on 6th gear (could see 6500 on 6th).
    Above 6000 rpm and until 8000 (the red line is moved up 700rpm or so) the bike just leaps forward with a gusto not experienced before from this engine.

I am not trying to sell anything (I have since sold the bike and moved to ktm), but I firmly believe that having this bike and not opening it up is a waste of a engine with very good potential.

Mine was a 99 single spark.
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  8. 4wheeldog

4wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most effective thing most people can do to improve BMW flat twin performance is go on a diet. Saves you money, makes the bike faster, and you might even live longer.
    I ride an RT, not a GS, but I lost 80+ pounds, and the bike improved more than any mod I could make. Just sayin'.
    thechief86 likes this.
  9. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't dispute that you can likely acheive incrimental improvements on the 1150. I'm sure its possible to make it go faster in a straight line. I also know that no matter what you do, you're not going to keep pace with a K1200S or similar bike.

Where the 1150 shines is in the corners. Having a little more power would be nice, but not ciritical. The biggest improvement a person can get is to improve riding skills. A proper track class can teach the rider to get a lot more speed out of an unmodified bike than mods will do with an inexperienced rider.
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are correct, loosing the cat and the exhaust on the gs loses 40 lbs alone.
    However, what i didnt like in that bike before was the slow reving, lazy, heavy feeling of that engine, which was independent of what was on it weightwise. It is precisely that which these performance mods changed. +10hp is not a lot for such a bike, but the character of the power delivery changes so much you cant believe its the same bike.

BTW How did you manage to loose 80lbs from the RT? That sounds pretty incredible!
  11. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cliffy, you are right. However the 1150 engine is so strungled in standard form, that opening it up adds a lot of the engine revving pleasure you get from a bike normally, which the GS has none of it as it is. I cannot stress the fact of how much of a seat of pants difference it makes without sounding like a preacher.
    I have had about 10 bikes carbed and Fi over the past 20 years most of which were moded in that respect.
    Out of them all, the difference I saw on the GS was the most notable.
  12. word1

word1 I'm working on it...

Oddometer:

The RT didn't loose 80lbs - the rider lost 80lbs.

_jay
  13. HighScore

HighScore No More, all done.

Oddometer:
    Having owned both the KTM and the GS, (I still have the GS, and the KTM engine blew up at 3000, clutch bolts werent torqued to spec at the factory)
    I would probably think you could probably push the KTM on foot faster than the GS. BUT, the KTM would never outlast the GS in terms of longevity.

Just ride the GS, don't buy any "performance upgrades". It's ALL just a way for the farkle industry to get your money.
    Millions of dollars were spent in the design and production of the GS, it's built the way it is for a reason.
    You will NEVER get your money back on the aftermarket stuff you put on it.
  14. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    I have a Staintune aftermarket muffler. have got rid of the cat converter and fitted K&N etc. I haven't put it on a dyno but it feels like it has more pep (and sounds great). It has also made the bike a fair bit lighter. I also have also upgraded to Ohlins so I find I am riding it faster - but who knows it could all be in the mind. Anyhow, I would spend the extra money again and have never regretted the mods.
  15. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    [​IMG]

<BR>
  16. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold mine with 80k miles and run better than new. Performance upgrades in exhaust and breathing, when done properly, are actually good for engine life because they aint running lean.
    On the money front you are right, but spending 1000 more on a bike that you bought for 9000 is not such a big deal in the big picture...
  17. jlsworks

jlsworks Acid Stained

Oddometer:
    After replacing my 06 GSA's stock exhaust with a ZTeknic Titanium pipe and the CC with the Y-pipe, it ran pretty well (backfired quite a lot though). But when I installed the Techlusion TFI 10-31 FI box, it really became a complete package for me; greatly improved throttle response, smoother power throughout the RPM range and more "grunt". It was almost like a new bike and I bought it used (cheap) from another inmate...
    James
  18. Moose

Moose Turbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's the same bike.

I actually run the bike with quite low boost. It's not necessary with more power because the bike is fairly wild on gravel anyway.
    Its also easy to get more power out of the engine. But it will increase the consumption on driveline parts and the extra power is to no use.
    The engine it self is quite bullet proof.

And remember it's not more power you need it's more torque!
  19. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have a Y pipe, Remus can, Foam air filter from BMW Atlanta and a Techlusion TFI. I have never had it on a dyno, but I can tell you it pulls harder and lifts the front wheel in first effortlessly and when shifting hard into 2nd the front comes up as well. Before the Techlusion (which was the last add on) I could never get the front wheel up in 2nd gear. I am pretty much done now even though the performance cams Wunderlich offers are enticing.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  20. alikerimbey

alikerimbey lame adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mousitsas:

I'm interested.

Can you please tell us how to open up the airbox?

Cheers.