How to make a R1150GS faster??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by afrikaanerdanie, Mar 1, 2010.

1. afrikaanerdanie

afrikaanerdanie n00b

Oddometer:
    I am also.
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay off the brakes, and on the throttle.

Keep it on two wheels.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I made an opening about 2x3 inches at the right side of the airbox, opposite the opening for the snorkel, and then glued around a spliced fuel line to smooth the edges. It did make a difference in acceleration with the KN and all the other mods listed in my previous post.
    If you consider it too radical, then make an opening on the inside of the intake snorkel near the airbox end. That snorkel has a very narrow intake, but its enough for a standard bike. With breathing and fuel mods thought it is apparent how small it is.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod

Not much you can do to make a significant difference in the power on an R1150 bike. Even IF you could spend a few thousand dollars adding 10HP, you wouldn't really notice it. It certainly wouldn't make your pig into a sport bike, or anything like it.

Want fast? Get another bike. But stay away from those POS orange bikes!:evil

:hide

Jim :brow
  5. walrond

walrond Earth Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Check out posts by Paul Young. He is the guy who did a video his 1150GS on the TT course. It's pretty impresive.

Here is a post of his...

6. psychoscot

psychoscot Heeland Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Peoples Republik of Boulder Don't judge me...
    The KTM's are cool. Just try knockin' off 500 miles in a day on one. Preparation H WILL be your friend.
  7. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I rode 550 miles of twisty roads on my orange bike on sunday, and finished with a big grin on my face. Not that much different than the stock seat on my BMW was. I will concede that the BMWs tend to be better street bikes- the tire sizes and the telelever are great things for a street bikes. But I don't find the KTM uncomfortable at all, and it's a blast to ride.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA

Not a BIG difference, maybe a tad, but it certainly seems like you have something...what with all the extra noise...I'm old school and like the quasi race exhaust and filter, but it's as much a design element as a true GO FASTER modification. I think you have to consider your true aesthetic in the buying of and farkling of a BMW motorcycle. You know going in there are few very true after market GO FASTER products. Taking weight off is about all you can really do. The lightweight exhaust is a BIG item. Every ounce you loose after that becomes REALLY costly. There is nothing to loose, you are sitting on the engine, the rear suspension is attached to the engine, the front suspension is atached to the engine. You have a pretty lightweight subframe holding your seat and panniers and an even lighter one holding your console and headlight. If you can ride this bike to it's limit you can ride pretty good! If you wanna go quicker you just gotta give it more gas, they thrive on revs...go for it. If you maintain the bike I think you will have few reliability problems even if you run the snot out of it.
  9. driftwood

driftwood ...if anybody would...

Oddometer:
    AK,...unless I happen to be somewhere else.
    x2

:thumb
  10. Banksy

Banksy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TTS performance in the uk do a supercharger kit for the 1150GS that takes RW hp from 80 to 120...
  11. Paul Young

Paul Young Low Flying GS Pilot

Oddometer:
    Any idea what the cost is? I get this little "itch" to fettle, on the run up to the IOMTT... :wink:
  12. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not true. I have done numerous 750 miles days on a 950ADV with no problems. Having the right seat is the key. I don't last 20 miles on the stock GS seat - very painful for me personally.

As for performance upgrades, my '04 GS ADV was set-up with a Remus exhaust & y-pipe, K&N air filter and a Rhinewest chip. The difference was AMAZING. Very responsive and a LOT more power. Still not sportbike fast but much better than the stock tractor feel - for sure.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Butt dynos are tricky things!:deal

RunninRanger likes this.
  14. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    +2 on the Orange comment (miss mine). The words vicious and visceral come to mind when I recall riding it. Two words that don't equate with the GS which I love riding nevertheless as much for it's other unique endearing characteristics.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    What is a GS1150R? :dunno

16. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Go on eBay. They have chips on there that are guaranteed to improve performance. :lol3
  17. ralt41

ralt41 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got caught at 108 on 35,got very expensive,escaped jail.more power?NO.anyway big change on this bikes is
    #1 suspension#2 seat#3got a chip from austria,better engine response#4exhaust,pretty sure got little extra power.#5 k&n filter.that’s it..i rented a 2017 in corsica last year..better,more powerfull & lighter but somehow i will stick to my 2002 adv.all i need is there.go fast
  18. walkingbear

walkingbear Lets Play Chicken! Supporter

Oddometer:
    1200 fuel injectors with the above.
    darklight79 likes this.
  19. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turbo is the way to go and good fun building it
  20. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    I don't know about getting much of a "faster" bike from an R1150GS, but one fairly affordable way to really improve low end torque, acceleration, and take-off's from a stop is the combination of matched R1200 injectors and an AF-XIED. It' s been much talked about here, and I definitely found the combination to be a noticeable & very enjoyable improvement over stock performance. While it starts out being about the R1100, the main thread on the topic and with lots of info re. the R1150 is here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/1200gs-injectors-in-the-1100gs-and-1150gs-vrooom.1181054/
    darklight79 likes this.