How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    Erlin,

I need/want to make a carbon fiber sheet about 2' x 2' the kicker is the thickness it needs to be about 1/8" thick because of how it will mount and needing to have countersunk holes for flat head screws. Can you give me any advice and tell me about how many layers of fiber I need to achieve that thickness?
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, but first, What is it to be used for...... Structural.....???? If Structural I would go with 12 oz fabric. 3-4 layers should do it. Thickness actually much depends on how much resin you have in there. Most people will lay up with more resin than the 30/70% rule. If i were to make a plate, I would get two pieces of glass from the depot (2x2 feet) treat them with release agent, and simply lay up the sandwich in between. Makes for a nice smooth finish, and you can carefully squeeze it to an exact thickness of 1/8 inch. Or you can just wing it....:D:D. Be aware of the common mistake to brush too much resin in the middle, and the piece is now thicker in the middle, than the edges. Two glass plates control that as well. Hope this helps. If you only have 6 oz fabric, then 5-6 layers.
  3. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure what you mean by structural. It will be about a 12" x 6" X .125" piece that will be supporting about 7 pounds of weight about the same size but 3" thick. The 3" and .125 being parallel to each other. I figure that it will be plenty strong. The glass is a wonderful idea. This is just the first step of a larger project. More details and questions to follow if I can make a simple 1/8 plate.

4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    By structural, I mean does it need to carry a load. Composites are very strong, but flexible. I'd go with the 3-4 layers, of 12 oz, or 5-6 of the 6 oz. 3 layers of release agent on the glass. squeeze the top glass down to achieve 1/8 inch thickness, then leave it alone to cure.
  5. slowpoke

slowpoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful! But I'll stick with metal.:D
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...:freaky:freaky
  7. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the resin have to have contact with air to harden. How do you figure out how much resin to use. I have an volume of about 9ci not counting the carbon fiber that comes out to about 5 fl ozs of resin once again without taking the carbon fiber displacement in to account. You mentioned a 30/70 ratio earlier which percent is resin?

8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    At this point, so as not to turn this into a different build/how to, I think you need to read up a little. I have lots of threads here,taking you step by step. Click on my username, and navigate to the "all threads started by ebrabaek" and start reading. This is something you need to do before proceeding. I would like you to start a new thread, rather than post it in here. If you dont like that, then post it in here...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

Here is what searched yielded.....

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=25717235

This is NOT meant to put you off. I Don't work like that, just to organize this in the appropriate thread. Resin is 30%....cloth is 70% by weight.:freaky:freaky
  9. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Erling,

great thread again! this looks like an awesome bashplate!

I was reading in an early post you said Kevlar had great abrasion and carbon had great stiffness,

So was it just the look or another reason why you put the outer layer on the bashplate in CF? because wouldnt it be more durable to put the kevlar on the outside?
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got it right......:D. It is a bit easier to manage CF on the outside, than K-39. You see, when you start bashing, and scrapink the K-39, as top layer, it frays, and as it is hard to sand, or grind away, you end up having a bash plate looking like cotton ball hanging down. Plus the yellow K-39 finish is not good looking.... imho. So I put a CF diaper on it....:lol3.
    This way with CF on top the K-39 does not fray in comparison. Looking at it.... I do have several yellow scars protruding though......:D:D
  11. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    arr right! nice one.. so its easier to patch up some CF ;)

Nice work.. I might start working on some CF stuff once i have the garage space.. I cant believe the finish you are getting on it, it looks very cool!! I thought you would of had to make a fiberglass mould then make the CF for that type of finish but apparently not.. :clap
  12. speed_racer

Oddometer:
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can do that as well. The sort of raised , uneven surface of the raw cured fiber, has to be sanded, but then it is as glossy as your hands want it to be.:D
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no direct experience with the 105, but as it is a marine grade stable product, it is available around the world. As such less emphasis is made in the boutique flavors, like transparency. It takes the alchemist a bit more trouble to create polymers that are clear, and stands up to UV bombardment. The best thing for you to do, is have a look at the transparency of the 105...... if it is not too dark for you, then ask someone who has used it, unpainted, how it stands up to UV rays.
  15. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps, I'll do that.. :D
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some one early on in this thread suggested that I take out the bike and drop the bike on the bash plate, on a boulder....
    Well....... eeehhhhhh.... Happy to oblige....:D:evil. Rode 75 miles....55 of them through soft sand, and evil washes. Came off this hop and down 4 foot boulder with a bad entrance, and fork bottomed out, and I suspect a 1 foot drop on the bash plate...... A mega clunk, and I just about $h!t my pants. Thanks to a new device, the bike did not jerk and stall, when I seized motion, but I knew this was a hard one. Note the boulder on the right side. What you cannot see is the little over 1 foot drop on the back side.
    [​IMG]

Had a look, and then after determining that no engine damage was done....only to the bash plate.... We ripped back home....

The Bash plate had done exactly what it was supposed to do..... Flex, and distribute the impact. And as such, no damage was done to any of the engine mounts. After getting home and inspecting it, I could really see how much. Primary impact area, partially shattered a small area, the size of a dime..... ( had to dig this area out to accommodate the stupid headers)
    [​IMG]

Then the right engine mount sheared off..... , and the whole right side of the plate went upward by about 3/4 inch, where it impacted with the SW motec bars. Looks bad, to the untrained eye, but it will be fixed in a matter of a few hrs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was quite the bang. My fellow rider could not believe there was no engine damage, as he heard it very loud back a ways. Awesome...... Time to fix it back up.:clap:freaky
  17. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Maybe your engine wasn't damaged but you lost half a wheel there buddy :lol3
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shhhhhhh..... It the new stealth rim from Woody's....... You....... Didn't .... seeee..... aaaaaanything.....

Or a crappy panorama from my S3 galaxy.....:lol3:lol3:freaky
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a bit better....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:clap:clap:freaky
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a feeling that peace would not settle here until I fixed this.....:lol3:lol3.
    Good news are, that there was no broken engine mounts....oil pans.... etc..... Bad news is, well, it is sorta bad. As I had to create a low point in the bash guard to accommodate the worthless, poorly made, and badly jigged Arrow headers, a small rock was in there, and as the impact happened it made a small dent in the header.... $%%@#*^&$ Pik og patter.......:huh Note the rock.
    [​IMG]
    Header.......
    [​IMG]

I am going to find someone who can weld my stock headers after CAT removal, and throw those Arrow headers as far away as I can.

Guard trimmed of the damaged area...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So first the bad pieces was cut out of the plate, for further analysis. This is the piece cut out right under the SWMotec bar that had bashed it......It obviously had been bashed very hard, but with the type of seperation here between layers of Kevlar is an indication of too much resin. This is what happens. The K-39 swells and absorbs more resin than the CF, and as it swells tiny voids will fill with resin, which will yield a less strong layup. If the composite was held in either a vacuum, or mechanically in place, it would have been stronger. This is obviously a very big bash with a round bar....... off an angle. Who knows.... if it was vacuum bagged, would it have broke...... Dunno. I do know this..... This is as strong of a layup you can make without bagging. Perhaps with a plain weave...... as 2x2 twill is not the strongest.
    [​IMG]

Here is the bracket...... same prognosis....
    [​IMG]

Then marked with tape to make the new bracket. I will make the shape a little different.......

Cheers.