Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.
SICK!!! Talented MOFO
Incredible array of custom parts! I'm mildly surprised the front door on your house isn't CF...
No yet anyway.....
In all seriousness - your ability to just think things up and make them is quite impressive. Plus, the photo tutorials are fascinating.
here's several yards of carbon fiber cloth waiting for a project
Acetone would eat the foam off. Give it a try. (Wifes nail polish remover might also work)
I had salvaged a fridge compressor. And then used a bag (welded by heat) around the piece to push out excess epoxy.
pS. We were making kiteboards, did a couple of tries. Result was meeh.. then it startid taking too much time and had to go and buy.
It is good to hear. When I dabbed my hand with this professionally, I always wondered why it was so hard to get info, and why so little was available. As I moved to this great country, and picked it back up, I wanted to offer my help, and as I joined another forum, back in 2006, It all sort of fell in place. As the 8GS came along, I really got excited about sharing it, and have a great time posting as I go along. My cameras, on the other hand.... they don't look so good anymore, one has kicked the bucket.... But I really enjoy it. Thank you for your words of encouragement.
I have just the right one for ya. I did a battery box for my high power thumper. To up the battery from a 7s to a 14S, to start the big bore, I made a CF box. That all went great until the positive lead touched the case..... Doing 40 on a heavy trafficked city street, I smelled Burned polyester...... I know what that smell was..... I have never r&r'ed a battery with the factory DRZ tool kit so fast before, and hopefully never will again.
It really doesn't bother me to just sand the foam off. The pink stuff is by far better suited to build, and shape a mould.
yup carbon fiber and LiFePO4 batteries don't mix .. there's been several fires from shorting out and losing the entire custom carbon fiber covered bike. not the fault of LiFePO4 batteries, which will discharge at huge rates with heat equal to arc welding.
Yeppers..... The fix was to line the inside with Kevlar, and cap the terminals with Plastic. I made a rookie mistake, and almost paid for it with the life of my BB thumper. I left the burn mark in the cover intact, to remind myself....
holy crap .. flat forgot about these other rolls of kevlar purchased for a streamliner recumbent project.
Hey Erling. Thanks for the offer - I will definitely take you up on it. Looks like my first attempt is going to be a bash plate similar to your one, but with a tank built in, which I need for the rally.
Am ordering the Acerbis tank and bash plate fixing kit (to keep it simple) from Rally Raid and I'll use my current plate as a template. If that goes well, I'll tackle the fairing next. May end up with a HDPE frame and carbon/kevlar panels... but we'll get there then make decisions.
That sounds good Ian. Let me know when you start...
I know that this project is not for the 8GS, but rather the 12GS, but I just started building another bash plate over in the boxer galaxy far far away, and thought it would be good to post a link to that project, as it covers a few elements that was not used in this thread, such as vacuum bagging.
you still here?
I....... refuse...... to....... ehhhhh.... go away.
Based on your thread and total absence of experience finally finished the bash plate, took only like a month to make and yes it ain't straight
First model of anything ever)
Removed the lower frame, moved the side stand the whole works.
At the moment 6 or 7 layers. Of basalt, in between layers kevlar thread and 2 layers of carbon/kevlar mix.
Wonder if it actually will hold against offroad stuff.
Initially dropped 5kg with the frame, extra guards and oem plate. The plate weights around 700gr, but will add extra strength later + make some vents.
Thanks for the guide! :)
If you have any left over composite pieces you trimmed off, then you can do a little structural testing. Put them on a piece of wood and use a screwdriver or chisel and a hammer. Go easy in the beginning.
Let me know how it holds up.