How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not done any structural testing with this particular build.......But I did a couple of case savers....( clutch and stator) on a Suzuki DRZ) And It was made with 4 layers of Composites...( 3 CF....1 Kevlar)....I took it out and shot at it with a 40 cal. pistol. Behind it I had 2 telephone books. Bullet was a jacketed hollow point at 1350fps. Distance was 10 feet. Control test yielded penetration of one book, and 496 pages of the second. Same test....but with the test plate in the front.........Bullet went through the plate......but then most of it had deformed, and it subsequently only penetrated 61 pages.......Quite a reduction. Most people are properly laughing by now....... It was an odd test, and admittedly just for fun. It looks cool and all to read that some company's shoot at their composite guards for the testing........But the results are far from appropriate in comparison to a real bash of the bike on a rock. But....... I thought it be fun. That said. I am confident that you can rock this thing......Bash is..... something else will break before the bash guard will. That said....you will score it ....scrape it......But it will hold shape....and all you need is a simple repair job..... sort of like a band aid. Once you build this.....you need no other guard......imho.....:thumb:thumb

Erling

Socorro.......That`s just around the corner. You are welcome to trek down here and have a look. In Oct.....8-9-10....Sandia is putting on a ride.... I believe first night is at the high Country Lodge, in Magdalena... I will be attending......You too???
  2. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Hadn't heard of that trip yet, but yeah, I'll check it out. The forest roads around there are great fun.

I might take you up on having a look at your composites setup. I've got a couple projects in mind for my HP2 -- building an underseat storage compartment for tools and first aid, and maybe replacing some bodywork. Been on the back burner for a while, but this thread's inspiring me.....
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting...... Just let me know....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are two ways you could make`em..... Either cut the 4 indentations in the Styrofoam....then push the composites in there....like I did with the grooved for the honeycomb. I would properly have done that if it was just a few layers.... But I think that it could have created issues with all 7 layers. So this is how to do it. First I stole one of the kidoes crayon.....then marked the bottom of each bolt on the engine.... The hold up the plate....tap on it under each bolt with a rubber mallet. Mark and drill.......in 3 stages.....small med. full bore drill. Then find a little plastic bottle cut it in 4 sections. I used one of the hotel shampoo bottles my wife have stolen from our last outing.....:D Mark each section on the plate....... Then sand it with the dremel....
    [​IMG]

Then tape them in place.......
    [​IMG]

Put tape on the bottom to seal the holes......
    [​IMG]

Then mix some resin............With this cut pieces of CF............
    [​IMG]

Then make sure you mix in a lot of the cf.......Then distribute it in each hole........
    [​IMG]

You need to be care full to cure it first for 3 hrs at no more than 80 deg.F.....then set it in the sun...... If you bring it out too early.....You will experience thermal runaway........remember the picture earlier. It has to finish the early stage of polymerization before latent heat is applied.
    Baking in the sun........:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. CrazyMike

CrazyMike ***42***

Oddometer:
    This is so freakin cool.

What's next ebrabaek??? CF highway pegs for your CF engine protection bars?!?

Keep up the excellent work!!!
  6. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3..... I gotta finish this first........:D.....

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great project. I think I can do this too.

Would making the mount tabs from another material create a little more flex?
    Had you thought of solid rubber?

Also in regards to curing and temperatures, is there any reason to NOT use an oven?
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last part of the day......I put it under the heat lamp after 4 hrs in the sun..... To elevate each mount to 300....Once reaching 300....move the lamp to the next mount....and so forth.......That way it is at maximum strength.....
    [​IMG]

Till tomorrow....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Great thread ! :eek1 will the cardboard strips bind to the semi solid epoxy strips or are they a separate layer ?

Thanks,Ed
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are infused with resin, and is now part of the sandwich....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Started by sanding the 4 mounts to the height desired........Then inserting the brass collars.....
    [​IMG]

The needed to countersink the bottom side....for the nut....so nothing protrudes through to be snagged by the rocks.......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That completes the bottom mounts........ Here it is on the bike.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That`s a big bucket.....:D:D.... Too bad it gets so hot there..... It would have doubled nicely as a cooler.......:rofl:rofl.....
    I will work on the cooling holes and front mount tomorrow...... Time to call it a day......I like it so far though.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. Varitech

Varitech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excelente trabajo !

Eres una gran inspiracion, espero poder hacer algo parecido para mi V-STrom DL 650, no has pensado en fabricar topocase o maletas laterales de fibra de carbono :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil usando tu habilidades quedaria geniales !

Un favor no se si podrias poner la lista de todo el material que usaste para ver si puedo hacerlo yo !

Grandioso trabajo !
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gracias Amigo...... El gusto es mio.....:thumb.
    I have not thought about the top case......But are seriously thinking about the side cases. I have a pair of Ortlieb qr`s on it right now..... Es possible en el future...:thumb:thumb

Erling
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep forgetting to list the supply`s..... So here is a added list.

Carbon Fiber Cloth.....5.7 oz twill http://uscomposites.com/carbonpage.html
    Kevlar Cloth...I used 6 oz....but any of the two on the botom will do fine.... http://uscomposites.com/hybrids.html

Epoxy (Brand ?) ...
    Low temperature http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-CRYS...item483544bccc
    High temperature http://cgi.ebay.com/EPOXY-RESIN-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-FIBERGLASSING-80-OZKIT-/310180741247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Automotive Spray Lacquer (with UV inhibitor).....any will do...Key word uv protection. I used dupli color clear coat finish 8 oz. cost around $ 6
    Sand paper – 80 grit (rough sanding)
    Sand paper – 220 grit (finish sanding) then 800 grit and 1200 grit prior to last two coats of lacquer.

Black Electric Tape
    Plastic Cups for mixing

Parafilm (mold release spray?)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MOLD-RELEASE-FIB...item483a24fc63

Brushes.....any will do..

Tools:
    Dremel
    Paint sprayer/compressor (needed ?) No
    Brushes (?)

19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are several options as to how to make the front bracket. Metal.......CF.....I looked at some other bash guards.....and they had a few right angle pieces bolted on to the engine. I toke note of that, and decided to make a composite bracket. It again illustrate how versatile the composite is. I cut...measured....welded a SS bracket......... ( I can`t weld.....But am lethal with a grinder...:D:D) Then the plan was is to lay up 6 layers of CF on the inside of the bracket. So again....it was coated with two layers of parafilm and ready to cast...... Checking one more time.....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Then on a side note...... I thought I`d show what happens if you stir the epoxy resin too fast....Note all the bubbles.......
    [​IMG]

Then not after it has degassed for 10 minutes.......Still some bubbles....but most have migrated to the top.....
    [​IMG]

Then after the 6 layers....... Looks like something out of hellraiser....:rofl:rofl.....But fear not.... It`l be trimmed......
    [​IMG]

Drying for a few hrs......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  20. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Very well done- !

What else have you made with this concept?