How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:
    So the scar didn't go through to the fibre? Would that be a big deal if it would though?
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It gnawed into the very outer layer.....but did not get into the kevlar, which would have stopped it cold. The outer CF layers are basically a cosmetic thing.....since a yellow basket is ugly......imho...:D That`s where the real defense begins. When I see a yellow scar ( worn through the outer layers of CF.... then it will be easier to gauge the stress impact. The ideal layup....would have been Kevlar on the outside..... But That would ehhhh....be fugly.....Unless it would match the yellow on the bike.....But it does`nt..... Thus the outer layers of CF.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a few months on the plate.... I took it off for inspection.....well not really... Had to change the oil, and Off it went. Looked excellent.... I though that after the last outing I went over a few big rocks......although not a slap dingdonging the bike....it never the less rolled over a few big ones.... As the cat area describes..... Nothing went through the first layer of CF.... Nice...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside looks great as well...... after about 1000 miles....several dirt....low and high speed.... Point was just filed due to some rough spots of epoxy/Kevlar....
    [​IMG]

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. drbike

drbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great work, nice technique. The finished product looks fantastic.

I am just thinking, is there some way to put a thin skin of stainless on the outer layer, thinking you use the composite for strength the SS for slide and resistance to cuts and scapes, may be the best of both worlds.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would kind of defy the purpose of the layup. I knew that the first 2 layers of CF were sort of a cosmetic wrap.... Black rather than bad yellow..... See if the yellow matched the BMW yellow... it`d be a different story. I don`t mind the scaring..... And I`m certain nothing will make it through the Kevlar.... Not sure how it will look after several years..... But I can always give it one another layer on top.....that will kind of reset it all..... Or... better yet... Perhaps one day The yellow Kevlar will be matched with the BMW yellow.....:evil:rofl:lol3:freaky:thumb:thumb

Erling

Erling
  6. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    Have used CF on last three KTM's (which seen VERY hard labor) with no splitting or cracks except in an area where I overtightened a mounting bolt.

I would be very interested in purchasing something like this if it were available for my 800 :wink:
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have though long and hard about making`em for sale....along with several other parts..... But at my current location it would be impossible to produce......and make money. The price to cover the labor would simply be too high...... Most people would laugh.....I think....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soooo.. Yesterday I meat up with a few friends....... Rode for what we thought was going to be a 6-8 hr ride..... But snow...fallen trees...bike naps.....12 hrs later we had driven about 320 miles.... 65% in dirt...... Heard several melody`s played by rocks on the bash guard......But will wait until tomorrow after the once yellow bike ...now muddy...desert`ty.......get`s a bath......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  9. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    How many hours do you think it would take to reproduce a second plate?
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would first have to make a mold of the first one...... After that`s done......Perhaps 5-8 hrs That could be lowered to under 5 hrs with the right oven for post cure..... Currently....in front of a heater....turning the plate every 60 minutes......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers..... NM is cool all year around.... The rider was on his second dirt trip....very afraid of dropping it..... And hammered a bit much through the snow...... Not a better place to take a nap though.....:D If you ever swing south on another CO trip..... I would be glad to show you around......:thumb
    My fav is the second vid.... With the high speed run at....ehhh... high speed.... The bash plate was singing loudly....and all I could think about was Chi`s event..... But we were fortunate......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    I see from your write up that you stiffened the bottom with channels made in your foam mold, but used the honeycomb for the front. Would you have also been able to use the channels for the front, had you made them in the mold? Would that have stiffened the transition from the bottom to the front of the guard as well?

Great work and awesome write up!
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...... Yes ...if I had made the groves in the mold...it would have been faster...... The strength is the same...... Ie....does`nt really matter of how and where in the matrix the voids are created...... But it is for sure quicker....easier...and pretty`er when incorporated in the mold. I simply did not think I needed the front honeycomb....... Thinking the front bracket would be enough...... But after more study....seeing the carnage on front side of the plates ruined by big rocks....... I thought it should have it in the front as well....... Same thickness....etc......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. macadamia

macadamia XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer:
    Also, I was wondering about the oven part of your kit. Can it be just a heat lamp in a box like in your pannier write up or does it need to be something more elaborate? I have an old microwave oven I was thinking of taking apart and removing the rotating plate mechanism. Placing that inside a box would automatically turn smaller items like hand guards while they are curing.

What do you think?
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ghetto oven will do fine. There are so many epoxy`s out there.....So this is in regards to the type I use. There are two variables..... Time and temperature..... If one is shorter....the other needs to be longer....etc. With the Polymer products max hte....... You can achieve max strength at 250 deg. F......but only after 6 hrs of post cure. 250 is quite easy in the ghetto oven..... What is a little harder is uniform heating without a shield......thus the need for the ghetto oven.....Whereas if you just used a heat lamp/heater.....they projects heat waves that renders one smaller area very hot....... so to capitalize.....it`s a bit better encasing it. It is obviously best if you have a big oven......I mean a real one...... But again... I try to promote this from a hobbyists view.....and not many has room for an oven in the shop. Just be very careful with the temp control.....if you use the ghetto oven........ be aware of hot spots within the oven......and work your way up.... Last thing you want is to set your house on fire.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another update, as I had the first big bang......:D. Went on another 450 mile DS ride with about half of that in the dirt. Took a sharp 6-8 incher at about 40 mph. It pushed through the outer layer of CF.....but was stopped at the kevlar. This one could easy have taken out the oil filter.....or heat exchanger..... But the plate did it`s job.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think that when/if this get`s really ugly looking due to the multiple hits..... I will give it a outer single layer of Kevlar......... I am still debating whether I will like the yellow color down there.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  19. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I say the yellow kevlar would be uglier than a banged up carbon one! I really like the carbon look and the hits give it character, also very cool that you can see the kevlar through the hit. No doubt this is stronger than the aluminum plates out there... :freaky
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You and me both...... It`s just not a really pretty yellow.... Now.... When I can get my hand on some matching bumblebee yellow..... Slllllllluuurrrrrp....
    I have a T shirt that says " Scar`s are like tattoo`s.... with better story`s"
    I guess this one`s called " The Gila monster"......:thumb:thumb

Erling