How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    How about black aramid? I dig the Kevlar yellow on the inside of a piece, but not the outside.

We're probably going to end up with black aramid on the outside of our skidplates and hand guards.
  2. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    How about making kevlar fake fuel tank "plastics", then masking off the GS logo and other yellow bits, then spraying the rest black. The yellow would match then. :1drink
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I share your view...... Black aramid/Kevlar would be good...... Only thing that holds me back on cosmo items, is the inability to sand and fix imperfections during casting. That`s what`s so nice about CF...... But For industrial apps..... you can get those tooling issues out of the way......with....ehhh... the right tools. I`d like to see your final products when they arrive. Feel free to pm me some pic`s...... I will off course not share`em..... Unless you say so......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:

Could be fun..... Only thing is..... For my personal issue.... I don`t paint the composites...... But rather "tint" the epoxy to suit......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Thoughts on laying up over a plug instead and then filling the 'rough' outer surface? My current (glass) prototype was done on a wood mold and the outer surface has no real imperfections. We're also probably going to end up vacuum bagging, so hopefully that will help.

Will do. Once we settle on a design and a [relatively] inexpensive but repeatable mold I'll send you a couple shots. Its taking much longer than originally planned. :cry As I'm sure you can appreciate, when you have a full time "real" job, trying to come up with a repeatable product that you're willing to sell with your your name on it AND that doesn't lose money isn't easy. :deal
  6. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carbon fibre has no useful purpose on a motorcycle.
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I were to make one or many for commercial purposes........ That`s how I would do it........ Over a plug. I would like to make the plug in such that I could forgo the vacuum bag.....because of three issues..... Cost of materials......second.....extra labor involved....third chance of imperfections on the top that will be hard to fix with aramid .....or should we say Kevlar.
    I would instead spend some time....train the right person......( assuming I would not do it myself)..... Then a wet layup over a plug.....making sure you control resin use, so not to loose any strength....... That way....it will be least expensive to make.....so you can maximize what little profit you have......and it`l be strong........I see to many projects going by the wayside, because of inability to make a profit.....and this is the one part that will be banged up over time......:D... But that`s just me.

I`m with you on the QA.......When I do sell parts...... My first concern is always the fact that people likes it....... and it works for them...... Then second......They can pay me. As with you once my name is on a piece..... I make sure it`s good....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  8. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I heartily disagree! As a mechanical engineer.. I have studied the applications of carbon fiber and have a list of advantages:

- High strength to weight ratio as a replacement for common components

- Zero thermal expansion is achievable with the right layup (highly useful for sensitive structures in space like telescopes)

- Radiolucent properties with the right layup (helps in my current field... medical.. where you need to pass X-rays through structure)

- Ability to form a material with almost limitless flexibility and strength combinations... stronger than steel in one direction and weak as jello in the other. How else do you think Formula 1 engineers fantasize about flexible aero packages in their spare time... if only it were allowed in the sport!!! :becca

Oh yeah.. it also looks badass!

So if you notice at least one (maybe more) of those properties applies to motorcycles :D
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arrrrg....... You took the bait.......:D:lol3

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    FYI...

I just found that Vinegar works well as epoxy on the skin remover.

Also the working time of the MAS epoxy in 34c feels like 40c is kind of short and hot :eek1

Needless to say I ended up with a drip on my arm and it cleaned it up nicely.

Now I'll have to wait to see if there are "alterations" needed after the curing.:(:
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch........ Most polymers will engage in exothermic runaway when they are mixed over 28 deg.C...... You need to be careful about this specially if you are not using a method of holding the composites in place in the mold during curing. Take a look at it..... If you don`t see any uneven thickness....bubbles formed on the surface ...you most likely got lucky. Not al polymers are even......and some are more tolerant than others..... But generally speaking you should cool the epoxy to 30 deg.C. or below prior to mixing..... Hopefully you got lucky...... :thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. tofire409

tofire409 Geared up and ready.

Oddometer:
    The finish is fine, it just didn't fully laminate the last layer in a couple of spots. Just checked....

Thankfully!
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is so ironic that the first real bad bash is on the street.....:D:rofl:lol3..... Hopping of a big curb...... about a foot tall... I did not manual out far enough.....and the front of the plate smacked right in the apex of the curb. I felt the bike jar a bit...and then roll over,...or should I say ...scrape over.... and thought what a %$#@&*%% idiot stunt that was..... Never the less.....after inspection the armor held up just fine..... Just my pride hurt.....:lol3
    [​IMG]

Erling
  14. BMW_BIKER_KEITH

BMW_BIKER_KEITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice test earling !!! :rofl
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha-ha..... Yeppers.... I have tried in the dirt plenty of times.... and then I get the Darwin award on the street.....:D:lol3:clap

Erling
  16. 2trally

2trally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been fantasizing about fabricating a subframe gas tank out of CF for about a year now. I did some research and came out with the impression I would need to build my own autoclave. As that is way beyond my means at the moment I put that idea off but now... damn I could start tomorrow.

Thank you

Although it would be a good idea to start off with something smaller and less liable to kill me if it fails.:D
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need an autoclave for that....... Have a look here......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Desert-Carbon-Works/437413126297979
  18. 2trally

2trally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I typed in "carbon fiber production methods" when I was trying to find how to make things from carbon fibre. Of course all the responses google gave me were professional, commercial methods that dealt mostly with pre-preg and autoclaves. I also read about McLaren in the 80's and Eric Buell recently, building their own autoclaves. So I came to the premature conclusion that you had to have an autoclave.

Now that I look back its obvious I was looking in the wrong direction. I should have typed "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" or something similar.

Edit: Just for fun, I googled "DIY carbon fiber fabrication" and immediately came up with this- http://www.eastbaycomposites.com and this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tufaS29fjrc&feature=player_embedded#!

Erling, would you mind checking the eastbay kit? It seems alright. It doesnt look like you could make that much from it but it might be a good place to start.
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers...... Autoclaves are a must with prepreg material.... well..... almost all the time, as gases captured in the matrix cannot be rolled....rubbed... or other why by other means be expelled, thus a pressure oven with vacuum hookups.... I tend to steer people clear of the " all in a box" solution, as they rarely does a good job. You are better off looking at the threads I posted. The Facebook page is a great source of knowledge, and you don;t have to be a FB user, with the exception you cannot post up. Where in AZ R U????? I will spend the next 7 days in Phoenix.... Mesa to be exact...... Back on the topic. All you need to know is in the FB page......
  20. 2trally

2trally Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Phoenix actually. You wouldnt happen to be bringing the GS or the DRZ would you? I would love to see them.