How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I was...... but I am taking the airplane in for an A check at Willie ( Williams Gateway as it used to be called.... Now Mesa Gateway) I will be hanging around there. I'd gladly share other epoxy garage gangsta secrets over a cup of espresso, or other fermented beverages somewhere...... if your time permits. Just pm me......:D
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    A long term update......
    Had to remove the plate today, to switch to 20-50 oil, and found the left bracket fell off.....:huh.
    [​IMG]

Turned out the bond did not hold up, but sometimes you loose. I used HTE and the right side is OK. So it was rebonded... this time with 1618, and it bonds a little better. Another thing making your own composites..... is that you can improve as you go along, and it evolves. I am not sure if you recall, but I covered the inside with K-39 ( ballistic Kevlar), thinking that it would reflect less heat back from the engine. I can tell you that a light yellow surface is not a good choice under the engine..... I know I am not looking in there, but it sure looked like crap. So I scuffed up the whole surface, and it is getting one layer of Carbon fiber..... Gotta look good from both sides.....:D:D:D
  3. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lesson learned! :evil
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers..... The HTE works phenomenally in a wet layup. I have yet to see anything stronger. On bonding two cured pieces.... The 1618 or the CLR-HP does a better job... imho. I think it has to do with the hardness. As the HTE becomes rock hard, the void between the two pieces if now filled with the HTE, and the vibrations will destroy it... Like glass... Whereas the 1618 or HP flexes a bit more, withstanding the vibrations. In a wet layup.... That does not apply. So don't get nervous....:D:D
  5. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    If it matters, we always use structural epoxy to bond two cured pieces. Unless we're horribly negligent with bond line control or voids, failure is always at the part (not the bond) and almost always a delam.
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I have always thought that I do so little fixing, or bonding, that I have not considered stocking a structural epoxy, as I buy it in gallons each time. I would be afraid it would just sit and expire. The other two types I stock behaves sort of like both a laminating, and structural epoxy. One in particular ( 1618) was not created yet by the manufacture, when I build the plate. We shall see how this goes, but I think as it is good up to 250 deg. F., it should be ok.:freaky
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I installed the Arrow headers, and Dynojet PC-5/AT the bash guard wont quite fit.....even though I thought I made plenty of room, so onward with lowering the mount.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So... I started thinking, and doing a little math. I feel like an idiot lowering the whole unit 1 inch, to accommodate this lower header, specially when I can re fab the bash plate. As a great thing with composites, you can cut and paste them to an overall reshape. So the mods above was cut off....and mounts restored, and I will cut the bottom at the header interference, re mould it to have a dip around the headers. Composites don't have to be straight, like alloy plating. If done right....there will be no loss of strength. The bend will just add to the stiffness. Stay tuned....
  9. Karasu

Karasu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of your CF build threads are just great and have inspired my DIY friend and I to give a go at a couple projects you've done and to venture further as our skills develop. I have some other past times that could use some reinforcing. :evil

One question I had for you, if you would be so kind, is what are the rough dimensions for the bash plate you made in this thread. I'm trying to put together and order for sheet and resin and just need a rough idea of how much to accidentally over order to have leftovers for a couple other ideas.

Anyways I sure as the builds begin we'll have lots of pictures and even more questions to share. Thanks again for making these build threads so informative and helpful. It really makes these builds look simple. Though shortly after finishing my build I'm sure I'll wonder why it doesn't look right. :huh (The trick is to build my buddies plate first I'm sure :lol3)

Cheers
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :D:D.... Yeppers.... The first build....:D. The rough dimensions are 28 long, and 15 wide. That includes the side walls, and such.:freaky
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    So first the whole was cut to fit the header.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then a foam plug was made.......and taped in place.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then shaped....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the area masked.....
    [​IMG]

The first, one layer of CF..... then 4 layers of K-39 Kevlar.....
    [​IMG]

Then 6 Layers of CF..... then toppled with weights, to hold the enge of the fabric in place, as it is very thick....
    [​IMG]

Curing....
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then out comes the dentist..... Dremel, and all, the corners were carefully trimmed...
    [​IMG]

Then after the dremel work....
    [​IMG]

And the inside just dig out the foam with a screwdriver....... spoon.... chainsaw.... what ever you have at hand...:D
    [​IMG]

Then dremel on the inside.....There is a dentist in all of us....:rofl:clap
    [​IMG]

Then sand paper on the outside....
    [​IMG]

It fits perfect.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step is not a necessity, as no one will look on the inside, but I dont mind. Inside gets one layer....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Now quick! Go pull a mold off of the finished product before you go for a ride.. catch a rock.. and smash that one all to hell... :rofl

Nice work! :freaky
  14. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I had 1/2 of your skills.. my 919 would look like it ran through a carbon fiber loom...lol.
  15. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice buddy! Now see if your skills were on par with mine you'd have more practice hacking!
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha......:freaky:freaky Thanks guys. Going on a ride in a week..... 400 miles...over half in the dirt..... Bad dirt..:D:D We shall see, but am sure it will hold up just fine. Unlike Aluminum, which while being gouched....is very soft. and the rock digs in... the hardness of this laminate will be reflected. Take the blunt side of a flat head screw driver to a piece of aluminum.... then try it on a laminate like this.... you'l see.....:evil:evil:lol3
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    On another note " the rub" video is uploading.:rofl:rofl
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    <a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ufYajw7s9To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="">"><a href="<iframe width=" 560"="" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ufYajw7s9To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""><iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ufYajw7s9To" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I learned something today! :clap

Thanks for taking the time to put that together :freaky
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely my pleasure....:D