How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I think they sent the wrong ones if the box said 4500lm , it should say 6400lm as stated above .
  2. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I checked my box again and the front does indeed say 4500lm (6500k color -oops). The Amazon description says that indicates total of both bulbs so, 2250 LM per bulb. Hmmmmm.
  3. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    The one posted in the link for me shows 6400lm(3200 per bulb) @ 6500k color temp. Should be the same on the box . I went with a different version at 5k color temp to get less blue and more white.
  4. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Amazon listing on the Kawell light might be wrong, I found the listing right from Evitek for their G6-H4 bulb and it is listed as 4500LM and 6500k. I am assuming these are the identical bulb (they look identical) and just the listing is incorrect. I didn't search to far but the highest rated light I saw was 5000LM
  5. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazon ad says EACH bulb is 4500 lumens for the evitek!
  6. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    You realize that lumen and power specs are always overstated or misstated so you have to be careful. They usually quote the max values that are on the OEM data sheet not what they are actually operating at. It makes it very difficult trying to choose between led lights.

Both the Evitek and Kawell bulbs that I have operate at 22 watts on low beam each, so that should be about 2200 lumens per bulb.
    The original halogen bulbs are only 900 to 1000 lumens. Using a light meter these leds are almost twice as bright as the halogen.
    however the beam patterns (led vs halogen) are not exactly the same so that does skew the measurement.

What is more important is the light pattern. How well does the reflector and lens put the light where you need it for the type of riding that you are doing...
    twotyred, zap2504 and Don Coyote like this.
  7. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I picked up a set of these, and installed them last night in my FJR1300. They have the shield and a row of smaller LEDs to mimic a halogen filament. I taped off a line on the garage door (with the bike about 20' away) to mark where the cutoff was with the halogens, and the LEDs were almost exactly the same. I actually had to adjust one light up slightly to meet the line. No noticeable scatter above the cutoff. I didn't get to test the lights on the road yet as it was already kinda late at that point. I'll try them tonight though. I am very hopeful.
  8. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got a chance to install the LEDs in my '04 VStrom, I measured the current draw on the stock halogen bulbs at 4.7 amps low beam and 5.2 amps on high beam and the LEDs at 1.6 amps for either beam which equals about a 40w savings per bulb.
    I am getting some scattering of light above the mostly sharp cutoff - more to the right side than the left that is flashing off street signs, I think it may actually be from the low beam, any ideas as what to try first to correct this? These bulbs are a bit of a PIA to get in with the rubber boots so I don't want to have to take them in and out any more than I have to.
  9. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any news? :)
  10. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    So far, so good. I haven't had a ton of night riding yet, but I went down a nice, unlit road, and I am pleased with the light output. It is better than the stock halogens, and there isn't any hot spot right out in front of the bike like I've experienced on my last bike with an LED bulb.
    The high beam is fantastic!
    Now my only care is how long they last.

ETA: Unlike many of the H4 LED bulbs that keep the low beam diodes on when the high beam comes on, the bulbs that I got do not. The low beam array turns off when you turn the high beam on just like a halogen bulb.
    Alexander B and Square1 like this.
  11. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't believe it, those things are actually cheaper to buy here in Aus than in the US. I am genuinely flummoxed!
  12. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the links in this thread no longer go to H4 bulbs, particularly the main Evitek one at Amazon. They apparently sold enough to clear their stock (before the other models remaining), but have not replaced them with more. Are they selling them elsewhere?

[Are these the same ones people have been buying for over a year?]
  13. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They look like the one's I bought from Cindy a year or so ago
  14. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
  15. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
    The H4 version (top picture on the left) has two rows of leds, there is a very small wedge beneath the forward row.
    If you scroll down about halfway down the page, they show the H4 from a different angle and you can see the wedge that is the shield.
    These bulbs have the advantage that they can be rotated AND pulled forwards/backwards in the three pronged holder to allow fine tuning of the beam pattern.
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I am getting questions about not being able to find the Evitek G6 H4 bulb. I too needed to get another set and could not find them either. So I did some looking around.

There is a lot more stuff out there now and confusing!

In 2017 they came out with the T8 bulb with a fan and the S1 bulb without a fan.
    In 2018 they came out with the F2 bulb with a fan.

G6 is 22 watts
    S1 is 22 watts
    T8 is 25 watts
    F2 is 30 watts

The F2 is about 50% brighter and is better focused than the G6.

Is it worth throwing away the G6 and getting the F2? I would say NO, since the improvement is really only slightly noticeable.

If you just want the best available in 2018, just look for the F2 led. It looks like this and will be sold under different labels.

It should be available soon on amazon from Evitek.

You can get it now from JDM for a price....

https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Gen...t+h4+led&psc=1

or you can still call Cindy at Evitek and order direct and wait for the package....

Tech differences

The G6 had a heat spreader sandwiched between two circuit boards.
    The F2 has one circuit board between two heat spreaders.
    The plus is better focus, the minus is higher spot temperature.

The F2 H4 MIGHT be the best DOT compliant bulb out there now. But it will take a while to go through all the legal hoops. I can not speak for the other variations.

So, it will take some time to prove long term reliability. I just swapped out my G6's and put in a set of F2's. I will keep the G6's in my top box just in case....
    For what it is worth the G6's were on my bike for two years and 40k miles without a problem..

Initial impression, nice clean cutoff, even beam, no dark spots, curb to curb light, reminds me of my old Z beam.....
    16VGTIDave, PA1018 and Anders- like this.
  19. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Is this the address for her down at the very bottom of page, LHS? https://evitekhid.en.alibaba.com/ I'm tempted to order a pair for my VFR or see if I can get one into my Hypermotard lamp.
  20. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    cindy z... at the bottom of the page....