How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I had a set of lights , not HID, but something "ultra " white or whatever , when driving in the snow it was blue , strange to get used to but was one of brightest I've used and no real glare on road signs, which is what gets bad on some of my current bulbs. I think the blue was actually added IIRC by a bluish tint on the bulb, been a few years.
  2. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    EVTEK Electronic co. G6 led

http://evitekhid.en.alibaba.com/pro...dlight_12V_H4_High_Low_Led_Headlight_Kit.html

Tell Cindy Z that I sent you there.

This is the light with the proper twist just like the H4 halogen. Notice on the low beam the light flare on the right which is suppose to light up street signs (per DOT req).
    These are mounted on my ST1300. The DRZ will make a flat beam with this light. And the high beam is where it is suppose to be. No spacers just plug in (optimize the beam height) and ride.
    They are too new and are not yet DOT approved. but they have the beam pattern and cut off that is required by DOT Photometric requirements in table XX.
    My bike was on the kickstand with a board under it so it was not quite level. I will be riding with them next week. My one hour home bound commute is after dark.
    more data to come....

EVTekG6Shielded.jpg
  3. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about their h7s? Those look similar to the cyclops one, so I assume it's the same manufacturer. The pictures don't show any shield or cutoffs, so it is probably the same model, priced cheaper.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
  4. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    There's shields on them . I'm ordering one to try myself .

Edit: The website says minimum order of 10 sets ???
  5. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    they took my order for just one...
  6. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I went back and checked. I too failed to get an order through the web site. I emailed the vendor through the web site. You have to register to make contact. Cindy Zhou was my contact there and she arranged a way to pay through PayPal for one light. I just emailed her and warned her that many others are going to do the same. I asked if they will have a site where we can buy individually or if there was a USA vendor that was going to carry their product. I will let you know their response.

I did notice that the new version turns off the low beam leds on high beam. I gave feed back that we would prefer to have all four leds illuminated on high beam. They might have had to do that to make it more DOT compliant.
  7. spiderman302

Oddometer:
  8. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Thanks for helping
  9. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it is truly 40 watts on low, and 40 watts on high, you probably can't have a total of 80 watts in there without it overheating.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    4300K has the most light output for HID and what is found on factory HIDs.
    I think Cyclops found 5500K to be ideal for LED for max output (original was 6000k)
  11. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Who would believe any power and lumen information ? When I comes to color temp 6000k provides the most lumens per watt in a LED per Cree data sheets.

power measured low high

original G3 V16 3800 17 watts 28 watts
    new G6 shielded 4500 18 watts 18 watts
    up led 15 watts 15 watts
    mesh led 17 watts 17 watts
    no fan h4 13 watts 13 watts
    big LED h4 30 watts 30 watts (light in all the wrong places)

I do not have an integrating sphere to accurately measure lumens but using a light meter 3 feet from each bulb i get very similar light level readings.
    So do not get hung up on the small measureable details.

Running the new G6 shielded bulb for the first time it seems to be just as good as my custom shielded original G3 3800 led. I did noticed that it better lights up the right side of the road due to the twist. The cut off is nice and clean. I can see the line on the back of the vehicles that I was following. The center focus is a little better on the low beam. I though I was going to not be happy with the high beam but I was quite surprised on how good it was. I pass thousands of cars each night (i can tell who is running lights without a shield - ouch) I am happy that I am not bothering them with these great lights. 98% of the time I can only use the low beam. Ok now let us see your beam patterns and hear your opinions about this light.

I have seen the ads and read the report on the new Philips led. It is way out of my budget to try right now. I am sure in time it will come down in price.
    I do not think that it would be much better than the $40.04 (includes shipping to USA) I spent for a pair of the new shielded G6 bulbs. I got it in about one week from Hong Kong.
  12. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most of this discussion is about the h4, has anyone got a reply from the vendor about their H7s? I send them an alibaba message, but I never got a reply back. They claim to have a g6 in H7, but I don't see any photos of it. If it is the shielded variety, I wouldn't mind buying one to test. Winter is a good time to have some working lights.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
  13. spiderman302

Oddometer:
  14. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Ok do not hold my feet to the fire over these numbers. I am not using a calibrated instrument. These numbers show that these lights are very similar.

when I measured the original G3 3800 lumen led this is what I got.
    The center bar is about 100 fc. light 6 inchs above cutoff is 4 fc. The high bean is an awesome 220 fc.

The new G6 led bulb measures from the same spot.
    The center bar is about 130 fc. light 6 inchs above cutoff is 5 fc. The high bean is an awesome 250 fc.

just remember that 0.010 of a difference in the focus point could make those numbers be reversed. Since it is an average of one measurement I would call it a tie.

I was mistaken, the focus in the H4 system is not at the mid point but rather closer to the high beam filament. This explains why the high beam is brighter and has more punch than the low beam.

Since the original G3 had all four leds lit up on high beam (7 watts per led) there was more light on the sides of the road. Some think that this hinders ones ability to see farther down the road.
    The new G6 turns off the low beam leds and puts more power into the high beam leds (9 watts per led) there is less glare from the sides of the road and more light down road. Now I know there are arguments either way. I have asked the OEM to rewire the power module to give us both options but you may have to wait a while. In the mean time I am enjoying the G6 led. I even went off my beaten path tonight to find some darker roads. I think the wait is over...
    Dyn Blin likes this.
  15. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a few bulbs. Gonna test 'em out in my KTM 990 SMT and my roommate's 80's Celica.

Spider, did you have any clearance issues with the bulb where the fan/heatsink is?
  16. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The low beam on with high works well in some nasty situations. i.e. road falls away steeply and bends. I guess it depends where you ride, but personally I appreciate being able to see the road under those circumstances ;)

Pete
  17. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    You might have noticed that back in post 45 there was a photograph of another light on the bottom. I had set it aside since there were issues with it. It did have a good cut off but it had no fan. Not having a fan at this power level is a bad thing. Today I set it up in the lab with thermal couples and let it run. Initial power was 20 watts but after 15 minutes the power dropped to 12 watts. There is a protection circuit that will reduce power if the system gets too hot. The LED emitter quickly got up to 180 C. Max junction temp allowed is 150 C. I removed a glass cover to get the thermal couple on the led. The back of the heat sink/power module was 80 C.

I am also concerned about the new Phillips bulb since it too does not have a fan.

In one of my experiments with the 3800 led I made a shield out a small piece of aluminum tubing. The ring created a nice reflector oven that toasted the led. That is why my shield ended up being open to air flow within the reflector. Any cover that restricts air close to the LED is a bad thing. Yes it will work for a while but your nice yellow phosphor will start turning brown and the light output will be reduced. Covering up the fan is also a bad thing. These things need air flow if you want them to survive.

The G6 has a fan and the shield does not restrict the air very close to the LED. The others may have issues that will take time to find out...

Toast.JPG
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    The G6 has the same "twist" as the halogen H4. It will work like the H4 and you do not have to do anything.

Remember that the H4 Halogen only blocks 165 degrees of light. So if it is set flat then there should be a 7.5 degree up tilt on both sides. But with the external shields on the G6 you can fine tune them flat or add more side flare if you want.

A closer look at the ST1300 mounting shows that the H4 is rotated so that the beam should be flat. I noticed that the driver side shield on the right lamp was low in the back and that is what gave the right side up tilt. (my mistake) I tweaked it back up and now the beam is nice and flat. So if you get this light check the shield alignment. Again it is nice that you can tune it to your liking...

The more you know the better...

shieldG6.jpg
    Shigeta likes this.
  19. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spiderman, I really want to thank you for all of this R&D you're doing. I haven't pulled the trigger yet for my Concours 14, but soon, and when I do, I'll feel confident that I'm not wasting $$ on the wrong stuff. :thumb
  20. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciation from me too, Spiderman. I am in the process of ordering one G6 set. I logged on and made the inquiry and received a very nice response from Cindy. She asked for details so she could send me a Paypal invoice, which I duly sent. The email bounced with a message that the target inbox was full. Hopefully this will be sorted tomorrow.