How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thorough information. Can't wait to get my hands on these. I have a decent photography setup, so I should be able to get some more photos to add to your research.
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already have my lights but I also appreciate spiderman's insight.
  3. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Shigeta, you probably are already aware of this, so please don't take offense. For night-time forward shots, be sure to use the same manual exposure setting for before and after. Auto exposure will not show the real difference. :thumb
  4. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder! Always good to remember the fundamentals. I have a unlimited access to a professional automotive studio at work. Should I should be able to give you guys some good photographic "data."
  5. Tim Graichen

Tim Graichen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the cyclops LEDs in my GS. Within the first 10 hours of use the low beam started flashing repeatedly. I pulled the bulb out and there was a lot of evidence of overheating, at the plastic around the base (heat sink area) had started to deform. Yes, I did have the vent holes drilled as specified in the directions. Replaced with the normal worthless halogens, and pitched both cyclops, marking it off and a lesson learned on a gimmicky item. Even during the time before the malfunction, the light output down the road was no better than the halogens. Your mileage may vary, but I suggest not wasting your money.
  6. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Some reflectors don't make good use of these lights . I have multiple brands of bikes and one type works great (good light down farther, decent spread) but the next is poor or only spreads out and no distance. But in another brand bike the bulbs performance is reversed. My favorite (so far) has been the ADV Monster for long distance and working in more bikes , the Cyclops has been poor in some but decent in others, they're worst for that dark spot down the center, which has been covered in this thread and Spiderman has detailed the reason and fix . The new G6 may be the best option now though .

To try one , and automatically condemn all LED's as being inferior is the correct answer , they're getting the proper design straightened out now that they're getting feedback as to what is wrong on the newer designs.

On another note , I am really liking the output and pattern of this headlight ,
    [​IMG]
    It is bright and a good spread , light is going farther than the oem halogen was and at a brighter output , it has already helped me see a deer in the ditch way ahead and be slowed up and ready for it when it jumped out in front of me . It never looked at me so no eyeshine ,only by having enough light far enough ahead was I able to see its brown shape down in the weeds and recognize what was there.

7. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    The G6 H4 is not the do all solution for everybody. It has a shield that will create a DOT compliant cut off that will enable the user to safely use it on road with traffic. No glare to on coming traffic and the rider can see further down the road.

If you are looking for an off road light for a non plated bike the original unshielded H4 G3 3800 led might be better suited but it does have glare and should NOT be used on road.

I have over 17,000 miles over the past year on my shielded H4 G3 prototype and it is still going strong. It works so well I no longer turn on any of my auxiliary lights that I had used with the halogens. I am now using the H4 G6 it works as well as my prototype. I have done all the homework.

If you are looking for a DOT cut off light the H4 G6 is it, look no further. The magic is in the shield.

Phillips thought they were going to be first but now they are late to the party.
    Perkio likes this.
  8. Shigeta

Shigeta Much too curious

Oddometer:
    Woot! Lights should be here on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have some results by the weekend. Anyone else have output shots from the new G6?
  9. Forzato

Forzato baboodee

Oddometer:
    +1

Thanks Spiderman!
  10. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:

spiderman , did you actually test the new led with shield that you got from china
  11. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    You are all welcome!

The G6 is a little longer. There is more room where the spring clip is and the heat sink is smooth so it does not get stuck in the spring like the G3 does. The smooth section will make a better seal with the dust cap to keep dust/water/mud out of the light but still keep the fan out where it can do its job. It is very easy to mount it into the ST1300 and it also fits nicely in my DRZ boot and housing. My ST has no boot. Unfortunately all my boots had been cut up to fit other lights. Time for new boots for my lights!

The ring can be removed from the light and mounted to the housing. Then you can put on the boot, then you can mount the light through the boot.

G6_mountingST_drz.jpg
  12. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    spiderman , did you actually test the new led with shield that you got from china.

yes. go back to post 62 and post 77...
  13. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:

Ok. I reread all the postings and now I understand. I've got a honda oddy 97 and I was looking for a LED upgrade kit. Looks like h4 G6 is the right one for me since my stock halogen reflectors look kind of rectangular (not round for sure). I don't want to risk adding aluminum shields to the G3 and I can always adjust the angle of the builtin shield on the G6; so it makes sense to go with that one. Just to make sure, which one is the G6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171969314219?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

OR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-LED-HEAD...ash=item25b13ec461:g:6IIAAOSw37tWDB4s&vxp=mtr

Also, I was about to buy these. Aren't they the latest and better, though no sheild.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181959154498?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
  14. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    none of the above.

The first two are the same and will over heat. It is the second one that I tested. The other one is not the new Phillips bulb which is going for $269. Phillips model #12953BWX2.

To get the new G6:
    Go back to post 67 and follow that link. Go to the bottom of the page. (you might have to register) but email Cindy and tell her you want a G6 H4 led Set. She will send you a paypal request for about $40 (wholesale price). These are too new and are not yet available on e-bay or anywhere else. You are getting it direct from the Fabricator.

I just ordered six more sets one for my Jeep and the others for a bunch of [Search and Rescue team] DR350's.... [ now you know why I needed DOT compliance]
  15. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:
    Spiderman. I've contacted Cindy using the link you gave me. I managed to get through. I ordered two. G6 H4 (honda oddy 97) and g6 9006 low beam (honda odyssey 2007). The g6 9006 led does not have a shield. I guess because its for a round reflectors housing of the honda odyssey 2007.
  16. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    They are in Hong Kong time zone. Your evening is their day time...
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contacted them yesterday, and got answer and later a quote for 39-something dollars. Just paid through paypal.
  18. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:
  19. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Are you sure it's more expensive? I'm seeing $53.99 per PAIR. Wasn't the other one $39 EACH? Or am I wrong?
  20. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:
    That's what I meant. Ebay is more expensive..