How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spiderman for all the work on finding decent inexpensive LED bulbs. I received my G6 bulbs (via Cindy) a couple of days ago and have been having fun getting them sorted. I'm in Australia where we ride on the left, so I needed to modify the base of the bulb to create the proper bias. To do this I set up my headlight in a cut-down cardboard box and wired up a 3 way switch and 12V battery so I could see the light pattern on the wall about 5 metres away as I tried different twists and turns ...

[​IMG]

I detached the inner plastic part from the metal base and experimented with different angles. Once I had the correct angle I marked and drilled a couple of holes in the base and refitted the plastic bit. I guess I have rotated the bulb about 25 to 30 degrees CW to get the right cutoff.

[​IMG]

Then I played with the shields. I found it best to bend them upwards a little - raising the wings if you like - and tilting them forward as well. The light is super bright - very much better than the old Halogen, which was pretty good for warming my hands but hopeless for seeing where I was going at night. I'm looking forward to getting out on the road tonight for some testing.

By the way, it was only on the second reading of your thread that I noticed your recommendation on page 1 of a particular bulb for round headlights. I'm sorry I missed that, but I'm really happy with what I have now and may try the other in the future as dollars permit. Thanks again.
  2. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm also curious for my TE - look forward to your review.

3. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, the 630 doesn't have the stock light anymore, it's wearing my old Baja Designs racelight (PIAA 80 housing that accepts H4) shown here with another rider taking advantage of the Exxon Valdez!:

[​IMG]

Amazon showed the lights had shipped "China Post" a few days ago and aren't expected to arrive until the end of the month, but who knows. I'll update either way.
  4. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've just ordered a couple of sets of the G6's off Cindy.
    They are out of stock at the moment but say they should have a new batch in next Thursday.
    Still $39 a set, no discount for two sets with the postage.
  5. Mark4931

Mark4931 Doesn't know what he's doing

Oddometer:
    A bit late, but an added note. I believe that you are talking about the SYLVANIA SilverStar or SilverStar ULTRA, they have tinted glass on on the bulb to get a cooler light.
  6. despat

despat n00b

Oddometer:

spiderman,

I finally got the G6 H4 Leds from Cindy. They're very bright. Only problem is when I install them the shields are oriented On top. Is that correct. That's the only way I can install them (if I must respect the notch and bases orientation). Or should it be like in your pic below? Thanks

[​IMG]
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The LED post can be turned and removed from the bracket, like the below picture. Do you just need to remove it and reinsert it twisted around 180 degrees?

[​IMG]
  8. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this mate.

And big thanks to spiderman for doing all this research. Must have taken a significant amount of time and money to sort all of this out for us. Hats off to you!
  9. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lights showed up on Saturday and I tinkered with them yesterday. I installed one in my van's 5x7 Hella housing just for comparison (Cyclops in the other side) and the "G6" definitely has a sharper cutoff... but it also has a "step" in the pattern from left to right with the right side being higher and more square shaped. I tried twisting the shield up/down and that didn't produce much change, I'm certain this is just a trait of the DOT reflectors. High beam produced a very square shaped hotspot, I'm not going to say that's a bad thing since it's much better than having random light scatter. Cyclops is brighter on high, no doubt about it, similar output on low. I don't see myself swapping to the G6 in that application even though they have a better cutoff, the Cyclops light produced a pattern that very much resembled that of a sealed beam (which my van was originally equipped with) where the cutoff is kind of "fuzzy" and just fade's away, and I like the high beam enough to keep the Cyclops led's in.

With the G6 installed in the DR350 housing, the pattern was very much the same as what was produced in the Hella's. The DR350 has an 8" Amazon special light bar mounted to it and that more than makes up for any shortcomings that the G6's high beam has compared to the Cyclops led. Cost of 1 G6 and the light bar is about the same as the Cyclops, but it is MUCH bulkier and requires extra wiring and creative mounting. Pick your poison: lots of light for little $$$, or lots of light for little space. Either route would have been acceptable in this application.

On to the TE630. The 630 has a PIAA 80 flood housing that produced a very "cone" shaped beam (no cutoff) with the original halogen as well as with the HID conversion. The HID conversion produced some strange/scattered hotspots, not terrible, but certainly noticeable. With the G6 installed, the pattern had a distinct cutoff and smooth pattern (no "step in the pattern as with the Hella/DR housings.) Low beam was a little dimmer than the HID (but significantly smoother) and to my surprise, high beam was brighter than the HID. I'm calling the G6 LED a win on all counts in this housing!

Comparing the TE630's new light setup with the DOT approved Truck-Lite LED in a TrailTech race light frame I have in my 690, the PIAA/G6 has a smoother pattern on both low and high (Truck-Lite has a "y" shaped hotspot), but the Truck-Lite reaches further on high. I would say that the NON-DOT PIAA/G6 is actually more street friendly than the DOT approved Truck-Lite... go figure.
  10. gzr

gzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did this mod test out when you got the bike on the road? I would need to do this too since I am in Malta and we also ride on the left. If you have any photos of the pattern on the wall I'd be curious to see.

Also has anyone here tried these LEDs in a "horizontal kidney" shaped headlight? I ride a Suzuki Freewind and it has a reflector which is wide, low and curved - and I have no idea whether these LEDs would be just a waste of money!
  11. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    gzr:

Looking at the geometry of your head light, any side emitting led head light would work well and create a nice wide light pattern. The G6 bulb would be a good fit.
  12. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day gzr
    It has not turned out as well as I'd hoped. I managed to adjust the bias such that the cut-off was to the correct side on low beam but it was stepped, with a dark hole in the middle and some random scatter of light. High beam is good, and very bright. I tried moving the bulb fore and aft with little improvement. As Spiderman says, the G6 is best suited to a rectangular reflector. I have since ordered the one he recommends for a round headlight as well as a different 7" semi-sealed headlight shell so I can experiment further. Here is the link to the LED units I have ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251808550394

And this is what they look like:

[​IMG]

I am hopeful they will work well. I will post pics when I receive the parts in a week or two. I expect I will have to adjust the bias to suit driving on the correct side of the road rather than the right side.
  13. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    Hope the round style ones work out for you! Let me know if you want to sell your Aussie'd G6 bulbs :thumb
  14. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Brun:
    Your description of a step and a hole in the middle leads me to believe that you put too much twist into the beam. Try to bring it back to more of a flat beam and give that a try. If there is still a hole in the middle check it at a longer distance to see if it converges. If not add thin spacers from .010 to .060 inches. I use bare buss wire. But once you have found the right amount of spacer check the high beam because you moved it out of focus and moved it down...

The up / down led bulb only works in a round housing. The G6 and all side emitting led bulbs work in both round and rectanguar housings. You will find that the up/down bulb will have no hole in the middle and the beam will have more verticle spread. The G6 will have less verticle spread and is brighter on the far horizon. The light spread is different and you will need to decide which one you prefer. Let us know your results.
  15. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spider. I probably should have mentioned that my setup was complicated by the fact that the Bosch semi-sealed headlight I have is a Euro model for right side driving, so not suitable or legal for Australia (I bought the damn thing from an Australian vendor and failed to notice before the expiry period to send it back was over). I did experiment with different positions for the emitters, fore and aft and up and down and different twists, but there was always something wrong. As you say, I probably did add too much twist because of the incorrect lens bias so no slur on the bulb, which is well made and very bright. I simply could not find a position that would not throw glare at an oncoming vehicle without some other shortcoming.

I have a properly biased semi-sealed headlight on the way so I can experiment further and the new bulbs should be arriving from China in the next couple of weeks. I will definitely post my findings.
  16. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
    DSCF0036.JPG My G6's arrived Thursday, not had a chance to fit or try them yet but it looks like they're going to need some work to clear out the slots in the fan surround.
    A lot of the holes in the long slots are not clear of flashing.
    Going to take a Dremel and a diamond drill bit to clear them all out as best I can before I run any of them up to temp.
    I have also noticed that the LED elements are different to those in previous pictures.
    All 4 LED's are rectangular with no bubble on the surface.
  17. gzr

gzr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few days ago I took the headlight apart and internally it is a rectangular reflector, so I am pretty confident that the G6 would work from your comments and other posts.

In the meantime I managed to "fix" the lights temporarily by cleaning the headlight from the inside. It turns out that most of the glare I had was because every surface in the headlight was covered with talcum-like powder (causing diffuse reflection), and there was more at the bottom. How it got in there beats me - the headlight shell is glued shut all around from the factory.

I still need to rotate the bulb, and might still order the G6 and modify it. Spiderman, you mentioned something about yellow (lower colour temperature) G6 bulbs. Did you get any feedback from the manufacturer about that?
  18. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On the back of all the brilliant information here and a tip from Grimreaper I have ordered a G6 bulb for my CCM. Thanks to Spiderman and all his work and enabling the direct contact with Cindy.
  19. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The above pictured lights are showing on Amazon for $45 as well.
  20. Grimreaper7

Oddometer:
    An update... I had to elongate the two holes with the screws through them to about three times the original diameter to allow me to rotate the 'bulb' enough to level out the wings in my KTM 690 H4 headlight.
    The slots are now all clear of flashing and working fine.
    I will be fiddling with the angle of the wing reflectors in due course to see if I can improve the beam pattern any.