How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine too. Perhaps this is the change to the Osram emitters that Cindy mentioned in an email to Spiderman a couple of pages back. I wonder if the change is affecting the quality of the beam.

My new 7" semi-sealed headlight and new LED bulbs arrived. These ones:

[​IMG]

As noted previously by Spider these have 3 emitters pointing up into the reflector to provide the low beam and one emitter facing down to add more light when on high beam.

One of mine is faulty, all four emitters being on all the time. The other one is good, and works well in my existing headlight. No rotating or other adjustment was required. It gives a really nice strong low beam with a flat cut-off. High beam is a bit disappointing because it is only adding one emitter to the low beam. It's good; the beam is out there in the right place but I would like more punch, and will add a suitable narrow beam spotlight to the high beam circuit. I live in the bush and there are a lot of nocturnal critters with very small brains around.

I tried the G6 bulbs in the new headlight and although an improvement on what was happening in my existing headlight, still not good enough. The beam is scattered, and has holes where good strong light would be preferred. It seems that differences in reflector shape might be critical to how these things work. I will do some more experimenting with focus when I get the chance.

I don't have a convenient place nearby where I can take some night-time photos showing the beam patterns in a meaningful way. I'll see what I can find. For now I am happy with this light.
  2. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Brun:
    The lights that I have like yours-- only two leds are on for the low beam and all four turn on for the high beam.

As for the G6 in your right hand sided automobile head light housing there are two solutions. The first one (you are pursuing) is getting the correct left hand housing, or you could have gotten a regular motorcycle light housing that has no bias (flat beam). The second solution would be to tape (aluminum duct) over the clear 15 degree pie shaped window just left of center and below the horizontal line. Another variation of this is to glue (clear RTV) a small pie shaped piece of 1/8 Reed glass over the same area that I said to apply tape. This would eliminate the flare on the wrong side of the road. There was no way to twist and turn or focus the bulb to eliminate this flare since it was coming from the glass lens. let us know when you get your replacement housing.
  3. Brun

Brun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops, you are quite right about the two emitters on low beam and four on high beam for that bulb, Spidey. I just pulled the bulb out, put on some dark glasses and connected it. I hope my retinas return to normal soon. They are really, really bright. I am very happy with this bulb, and I am using it in the "wrongly biased for Australia" Bosch semi-sealed headlight that originally caused trouble with the G6 bulb.

On low beam I am getting a beautiful flood of light with what is almost a crisp and very horizontal cut-off. On high beam the light is definitely acceptable, and absolutely the best light I have ever had on a bike - I am just greedy for more light. I live in a rural area where critters on the road are common - kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, emus, deer, wild horses, cattle and so on. I slammed into a cow one dark night a few years ago so am justifiably nervous.

As I mentioned above, one of the bulbs was faulty. A friend who is an electronics nut took this one away and played with it, pulling it apart to check out the little circuit board. He found that a tiny six-legged chip had been inserted the wrong way around. It took him a few hours but he got it working properly so it is now his. He suggested that I write a message to the Chinese supplier to see if they will replace the faulty one. It would be too expensive to mail it back for replacement. This is the bulb I'm talking about, by the way:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-H4-Hig...Kit-/251808550394?hash=item3aa0f58dfa&vxp=mtr

[​IMG]

They really are nicely made, just a pity about the faulty one.

I have also given away the two G6 bulbs, which really didn't work very well for me. I did try one in the new semi-sealed headlight I bought and had much the same problem as with the Bosch. I still haven't found a good place to take some pictures at night.
  4. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Glad that you got the modulator working. I tried pulsing the light manually and it flashed so I knew that it should work with a modulator. The fan will be fine and will just run at a slightly slower speed. There are no brushes and the commutation is controlled with transistors (FETS) so the fan will be fine.
  5. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    There is a trick that I found with the DRZ headlight. Cut a straight 3 inch piece of 14 or 12 gauge bare solid copper wire and put across the bottom two slots before mounting the light. This will add spacing to the BOTTOM of the light and will lower the emitters. This will improve the low beam pattern on the DR350 or DRZ400.
  6. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Here is the photo of light pattern created by the Eviteks G6 H4 bulb on my ST1300. Low beam on the top and high beam on the bottom. It creates a very nice bright flat wide pattern with a sharp cutoff. No glare for the rider or on coming traffic. The magic is in the little metal shield under the low beam elements just like the original H4 halogen bulb.

LowHighbeam.jpg
  7. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any update on the G6 in your KTM?
    I've got one in my CCM which has a similar shaped reflector, but I've got light spilling and scattering all over the place.
    Any tips?
  8. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It needed a little more twist to make the lamp vertical when in place (I elongated the holes in the metal to allow it to rotate to the correct position), and I found the pattern improved with the shield 'wings' level (with the main axis of the lamp) but with the outside edges brought up to just above the centre of the emitter square which stops light reaching the bottom of the reflector bowl.
    See post #78, with the wings flat, I pulled up the outside edges of the wings so that forward led was half hidden.
  9. pinball1008

pinball1008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you. When you say vertical, I take you mean with the LED's facing side to side not up/down?
    I'll try tweaking the wings to see if that helps.
  10. Grimreaper7

Grimreaper7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the mounting plates on all the lamps I bought were not far enough around to put the leds in the right plane when in the headlamp fittings.
    If you can see the original H4 bulb, when it's fitted in the headlamp bowl, you need the LED lamp to fit in the same orientation. The G6's were all out of position to varying degrees.
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Phillips threw down the gauntlet and produced a H4 led bulb with the leds & shields in the exact same placement as their halogen bulbs filament and shield.
    The rear cooler is passive (no fans) and unscrews so you can put back on your rubber water guards and then screw the cooler back on. The driver is separate.
    It works exactly the same but cost $$$. I expect others to copy this.

http://www.xenondepot.com/Philips-12953BWX2-H4-LED-Bulb-Review-s/62.htm
    http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm

2016-03-09 13_00_42-H4 Philips LED Headlight Review _ H4 LED kit Review _ 12953BWX2.png

2016-03-09 13_01_30-H4 Philips LED Headlight Review _ H4 LED kit Review _ 12953BWX2.png
  12. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, this shield on the low beam is how this thread started. The problem is in the myriad of lens out there, most of which were barely DOT compliant with the halogens.
  13. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    It is interesting that the Philips bulb showed up a few months after I published my first modification thread... I published in June, the Philips PCB date code is the first week of July and the date on their data sheet was in August.... Also a bunch of other bulbs with shields quickly came to market as well. Huh - - must be a coincidence.....
    Jay_In_Milpitas and Jim03R like this.
  14. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that too. :dirtdog
  15. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Last night I discovered that the original LED H4 3800 (G3) bulb has it's low beam LED emitters set 70 mils above the center line of the bulb. This offset is what was causing the low beam of the 3800 LED bulb to look fuzzy. The LEDs should have been mounted on the center line. A vendor was using spacers to "fix" this soft focus problem.

I found that in my DRZ400 headlight if I put a 3 inch bare 12 ga. copper wire (or toothpick) across the bottom two slots before I mounted the 3800 bulb. The wire would tilt the led down and bring the beam into a nice focus. However even this will move the high beam LEDs lower which will move the projected high beam higher than the horizon. This IMHO is a better fix for this issue if you are still using this bulb.

Spacers may still be needed for other reflector/lens used on other bikes. But try the down offset before you add spacers. This should help dial in the flaw with this bulb.

The new Evitek G6 H4 LED bulb has the low beam LED emitter on the center axis of the bulb and does not exhibit this problem. This is another reason the G6 H4 is a better bulb.

Yes, the high beam LED is mounted slightly lower than the low beam LED.

Be sure to twist the fan back 15 degrees CCW to make the beam level.

P1050047x.JPG

P1050048x.JPG

Pass the word.......
  16. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I am still enjoying the light pattern created by the Evitek G6 H4 led bulbs. Especially now that I have to commute home after dark. They really light up the road.
  17. spiderman302

Oddometer:
  18. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    I looked at those too, 'interested in your feedback. Also, the Amazon description on these doesn't verify both high/low beam- do the H4's offer both?
  19. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a lot more choices out there now. A lot more vendors are realizing the importance in the "Graves Shield" that is in the H4 bulb and it is what makes it an amazing light.
    I am testing this bulb and I am very impressed with the pattern it makes. there are a few others that I picked up and will be testing them as well.

This one has a nice sharp cut off and a good thin pattern for penetrating down the road. Puts the light where it is suppose to go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EY6KULY?psc=1&tag=viglink20849-20

I have one H4 version in my ST1300 and am also using their 9006 version in my suburban.

There is also this one that has a 22 watt lo and a 38 watt hi beam. it is a COB which will give a slightly fuzzy cut off and a very broad beam which is great for dual sport bikes. I am trying it on my DRZ400...

https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-H..._rd_wg=D591C&refRID=NJA1PWFEK3MFRKARB9BG&th=1

It is nice to have choices.
  20. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a similar one on my DRZ, not totally happy with it yet, but haven't tried real hard yet to adjust it...did you make any tweaks to this one for your DRZ?