How to Modify H4 LED to reduce glare -- This is the one you want.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by spiderman302, Jul 16, 2015.

1. spiderman302

spiderman302 Recalculating

Oddometer:
    With LED bulbs --> similar is Never the same!
    Yes I did add the wire to the bottom slot and that made a slight improvement. H4 COB Leds and leds with large emitters do not focus well and they have a soft cut off.
    Rectangular COBs are better than round ones.
    The Phillips style with 3 or 4 inline emitters create the sharpest cut off line with a thin beam pattern which IMO is best for long range vision (DEDC).
    The wider emitters give a taller beam and better lights up the close in stuff which is better for off road and windy roads.
    but you do not want too much close in lighting because it limits your ability to see far. So you have to match your main led to your riding style.
    Then you can add aux lights for other conditions.
    Which LED do you have that is similar? I bought another "similar" COB led with a shield that was horrible. There is still a lot of junk out there.
    We need to help each other by letting others know what works well on your bike.
    tundradirtbiker likes this.
  2. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A ton of work. Thanks for the work and posting it here.
  3. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for this tip. I installed the cyclops led in my hyperstrada and there was a beam problem - the 20 gauge solved it. Plenty of focussed light and a nice sharp cut-off. Much appreciated.
  4. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any more feedback on the DEDC H4? I like the warmer light and lower power draw of this over the G6. Can you advise how far the fan protrudes back from the mounting plate? The G6 was measured earlier here at 44mm. The DEDC looks problematic for clearance with the cord leading directly back from the rear instead of to the side.

Are these fans water resistant in general?
  5. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I have a set of those in my truck , H13 base . they're really nice . The cutoff is about the same as the stock bulbs but much brighter . Only issue is they should be superglued or something to the base once they are installed. At least on my H13's the bulb itself can technically fall out since the little locking channels/pins are too small and weak to hold, mine could pull straight out without a whole lot of effort but in 2 months haven't moved . I do have a set of H4's now sitting waiting for time to install in one of my bikes to compare to the others.
  6. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the pins/channels on the H4 look any different than a stock halogen?
  7. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Using my DRZ headlight here are the three patterns of the DEDC top, Evitek G6 middle and the COB on the bottom. The exposures might be different since they were done on different days. But it will show you what I mean by thin vs thick vs flood. one is not better than the other, rather it provides the rider a choice of how he wants the road illuminated. All have a nice cut off the bottom is a bit fuzzy and the top is the sharpest.
    Again it is nice to have these choices. (updated the links at the beginning of this thread for these three lights)

G6vsDEDCvsCOB.jpg
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  8. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    IMHO...
    The modern projector lights have cut off that is too sharp. There is "NO" light above the bright horizontal line. This creates a problem in that the rider can not see above the line. This is a real problem when riding on dark windy roads. The DOT specs does allows about a 10% or less light intensity spillage above the line so as to fill in this shadowed area and this light level is tolerable for on coming traffic. 10% may not seem much but our vision is logarithmic so it does help a lot. So the LED converted halogen reflector actually works better than projector lights in this instance.

The "ideal" low beam has 90% of it's output on a"razor" thin line on the horizon. The light below the horizon should fall off logarithmic.
    Any bright light close to you makes it harder for you to see far away. You will notice this if you use "flood" lights. You can see a lot close up but stuff far away is dark.
    This is why it is better to turn off the low beam when you turn on the high beam. Your eyes dynamically adjust to the brightest light.

but the flood type of lighting is better for off road where you do not need to see far but you need to see what is up close....

More light is not better. Light in the right place is better.

The H4 led bulb connector fits firmly into the H4 socket.
    Alexander B and 16VGTIDave like this.
  9. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    After receiving and attempting to install the DEDC, i can say the mounting point is slightly different from stock H4s. The metal ring with the three flat 'pins' around it is secured to the plastic base with two screws. On the stock halogens i have these are tiny screws around the cylinder of the bulb, while on the DEDCs these are larger screws on the flat part of the ring. The plastic moulding that receives the screws is in a position that blocks the plastic lock ring on my 06 BMW F650GS from snapping into place. I had to carve away the plastic in two spots with a box cutter to make enough room for the ring to snap in...
  10. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all! Good info, good comparisons!
  11. AZ Dean

AZ Dean Moto Paparazzo

Oddometer:
    @spiderman302, any 9007 LEDs to recommend?

Thanks for your hard work on this, it is very, ahem, enlightening. :D
  12. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with the 9007 bulb.
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    AZ Dean, I asked him about that recently and I'll try to forward you our conversation. I have yet to buy any 9007 LED but he recommended a couple different ones.
  14. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spidi, you are now recommending the Kawell light over the Evitek? That's the updated link on page 1. I'm confused
  15. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Evitek is the fabricator. Kawell is a vendor (middle man). I do not care from whom or where you buy your lights. I do not make anything from this. Today there are a lot of choices to pick from. If anyone finds anything better or lower cost, I will up date the first post to keep it current if I can so that new readers do not have to dig through the entire thread looking for the best link. But vendors come and go so it is best to do a quick search yourself. I have published this information so the fabricators will get the correct process to make the H4 led bulb and you will know what you should be looking for. It is a WIN WIN for all.
  16. Whiteeyelashes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, the Kawell you linked to are half the price of what I find when I google Evitek g6 h4. You're a champ!
  17. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @spiderman302
    I ordered the Kawell H4's you linked to in the first post, https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-LED-H...011&ie=UTF8&qid=1484735178&sr=8-1&keywords=h4
    I received these a few days later; IM003837.JPG are these the correct lamps you posted about? The ad listed them as 6,400 LM but these are clearly 4500LM and although they look just like the Evitek there is nothing on them that says who made them. At only $34 shipped it's not like I am too worried about them but if I was suppose to receive something else I'll try to contact Kawell and see what's up.
    By the way, thanks for all your work testing these and I'll be certain to post my impression when I get a chance to try them.
  18. spiderman302

Oddometer:
    Yes I recently ordered two sets from Kawell to help outfit a friends bike and to have some spares. One bulb the shield was not level. easy fix. Power and brightness is the same. You should be good.
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. massrider

massrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks. I'm glad they're the correct ones, it is an awesome deal for that price.
    I did notice one shield was not level, I'll tweak that before I install them.
  20. Whiteeyelashes

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Kawell on my bike yesterday. Love it! Box had 6400 Lm ticked. Thanks Spidi!