"How To" Off Road Riding Videos

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by thumperdump, Feb 17, 2009.

1. thumperdump

thumperdump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being new to off road bikes (DRZ400S), I need to pick up all the info about off road riding techniques, advice, suggestions etc. I've been doing searches on Youtube and so far finding very few videos that actually get much in to detail. Does anyone know where to find any of this type of info on the internet? I'd like to come across enough "how to" stuff that's free, rather than having to buy videos or books. Any one able to point me in the right direction here? Thanks.
  2. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    search for Nedro in vendors
  3. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    +1

And Dirt Wise with Shane Watts.
    Stick to the fundamentals. It'll all tranfer over into your riding.

.... oh. And SEAT TIME!!! You can watch all the videos in the world if you want, but unless you spend some time on that bike you'll never figure it out.
  4. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    Ya know, fer an instigatin', arrogant, SOBin', tooktehskaterfromme, Texican....
    I now know why I like you and get along wiff ya! :thumb

:lol3
  5. thumperdump

thumperdump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%, actual riding is the best experience, I'd like to pick up on some fundamentals, also watching videos, seems like I pick up different things that I don't know about and that will help me when I hit the trails.
  6. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
  7. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The shane watts video is really good but chock full of annoying commercials and personal bio stuff -- also I have a cultural aversion to people who add '-y' to the end of peoples names so the endless 'watts-y' drives me nuts after 30 mins of watching it :evil I edited out all the annoying bits and burnt a new DVD with just the training stuff on it.

Also the book Pro Motorcross and Off Road Riding techniques is good, there are some sections by Gary Semics about body position which are very helpful.
  8. Bones_GSXR

Bones_GSXR Will ride anything

Oddometer:
  9. thumperdump

thumperdump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, just ordered this book from ebay for a little more than 10 bucks shipped.
  10. guinnessextreme

guinnessextreme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got the Nathan Woods video. I don't have any other other ones to compare it too, but...very well filmed, very little information. IMHO
  11. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    +1 for the DirtWise video and practicing the basics.

I jotted down notes for each exercise, and my partner and I review them while travelling to the trails, and try to spend some time doing the drills during the ride.

If you have enough yard, many of the control drills can be done a few times a week right at home.

The Shane Watts dirt school is awesome, too, for everyone from novice to AA.

Many good fundamentals can be picked up at an MSF dirt bike course, too.
    http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/
  12. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
  13. [poser]

[poser] the un-original

Oddometer:
    good thread, as I'm going to be getting into some dirt soon [hopefully]
    its like doing track days, there is NO substitute for seat time, however some good instruction early can save you from having to break bad habit later and show you helpful things that almost counter intuitive, or that you never would have thought of
  14. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    Yes, my partner and I started riding dirt in 2003. After every huge hill climb I was getting arm pump and would have to stop and shake it out.
    Then, a few years later, a simple MSF dirt class, first exercise covering the "attack position" of head over bars and butt back solved the arm pump up hills and gave better bike control and more fun overall. Kinda like being able to steer on the road bikes at track school with no pressure on the bars.

We take a type of moto school every year from slide school with American Supercamp, trials training and dualsport at Trialstrainingcamp to Lafferty's offroad school and Shane Watts dirt school. This year is two-day BMW enduro school in SC in April.