How to protect KTM LC4 Adv without tank bars?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by QMan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    If you are a real cheap bastid, the rattle can truck bed liner does a remarkable job. When I was de-purpleing the plastic on my KTM RXC, most all of the purple plastic parts were roughed up with a 3M pad, cleaned, and sprayed with truck bed liner in my own garage. The coating has held up remarkably good. You can vary the surface texture from rough to smooth when you get the hang of it.

Good stuff for utilitarian bikes. I also use the same crap for the walkways on my locomotives. Very durable.
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I was in a shop that claimed to be a "plastic engineering" outfit. I had them make some bushings for some traction bars I made for my jeep. While I was in there I saw a skid plate for a Polaris XCR. It was very impressive, uberskidplate, if you will. I bet they could make tank protectors and motorcycle skid plates as well. I did ask them about their polysomethingorother and its qualities; they said at -40 you could smash it with a BIG hammer and it wouldn't break, it can be as heat resistant as your willing to pay and they can make things as thick as need be. Next time I am around another shop like this I will dig further into their abilities and price. These neat shops are around to serve the multibillion dollar oil industry I live in the middle of, don't know if they still custom make small stuff anymore.

I like the fact that the bedliner protects against scratches, but I would really appreciate having an extra 1/4" of armour for the gnarly get-offs.
  3. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Very interesting DD... did you get any kind of estimate to make a quantity of pairs of tank guards? If their break even was low, maybe we could do a group purchase. :evil

Creep
  4. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Precisely why I mentioned having the Line-X sprayed on thicker at potential contact points (with the ground). At least 1/4" thick where it counts. :nod
  5. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Qdude... I was the tree guy. The thread is here. The reason for trying this stuff was my experience of getting hit by a truck.

You can see how the parts off the bike look when sprayed here

... or here:
    [​IMG]
  6. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking this winter I would bring my bike to the engineering place to see what they could form. I also have an idea to get a bash plate done. The sommers one is way to pricey for this cheapo.

For the tank guards protecting the fuel pet cock is a must. Maybe some braces or something too. Any suggestions? A toolbox in the plate would be the reason for that particular upgrade. Again, any other suggestions?

Dirty
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Keep us in the loop if you go in for a price estimate :D

I was thinking of something in industrial, impact resistant plastic that wraps around the bottom 1/3rd, side, front and back, maybe 1/8" to 3/16" thick. A 'U' shaped extension could be molded in to protect the petcock.

The benefit would be to take the brunt of a big hit that would otherwise crack the fuel tank. The Adventure tanks are thick and sturdy as hell and will take a tremendous amount of abuse... the kind that would destroy a metal tank, but, a little extra protection (especially if it's cheap) wouldn't hurt. It could be held on with a silicone adhesive for easy removal, repair and/or replacement.

I'm guessing that if the price is right ($100-150) there are at least 5 or 6 buyers minimum waiting for an item like this.

The engine guard?... show them a picture of a Sommer one... they'll get the idea :nod
  8. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Gotta agree with Creeper on this one (oh, the pain...the pain). Put me number two in line something that's fairly tough but isn't a frame mount (this bugger is portly enough already). :nod :nod :nod

CC
  9. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    PETA. polyethyltetra acitate.
    Recycled coke bottles. :thumb bullet proof molds well with heat. no subsequent distortion and takes glues, epoxys and paint well. Oh...And dirt cheap.
    there are other options (plastics) but for a disposable item this would be my choice. hell you could put a new set on yearly and still be ahead.

80D to 90A (hard to med. Durometer-99 A' scale to 85 A' Scale ) urethane with a plastisizer but doesn't like non urethane base glues. is also a good choice but needs to be set in a mold. think chain sliders, chain guards, skateboard wheels etc. yeah that stuff. Cheap but more work.
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Dag... I had no idea you were a polymer guru :huh :huh :huh :thumb
  11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    The 'loop' will hopefully start around the time the snow flies.
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Snow? is that like really cold rain or something?
  13. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:

I'm not...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one time.

Compsites Machinist for a few years. International Composites Corp.
    Spray on bed liner is nothing more than Poly Urethane. We used it to spray up cylinders for the printing industry. Over rated in most app's other than bed liners.
    Porosity and texture are Wholy dependent on the guy behind the gun and the condition they keep the equipment in. I've seen guys spray it on glassy smooth and some that looked like a lava flow just blew out. just depends.

Look in McMaster Carr catalog or Grainger.( McMaster Carrs cheaper/better) and they have just about anything in stock. redwood plastics is another good (but more expensive) alternative but they have an inhouse Machining department and the knowledge that goes with it.
    My moneys on PET (Delrin), UHMW or PEEK. All can be machined or heat formed. Realativle inexpensive and will exept glues and paint's. They don't need Mythacrilates to glue like Nylon's and Acrylics. well Delrin might but it's the high end of the prices anyway.
    UHMW is long fiber'd and can be a bitch to machine but dirt cheap so it's worth a look. Can be bought in sheats and heat formed but higher heat. Tends to get gripy with wear. Delrin or PEEK don't.
    Nylon Without! Moly could be used but needs to be machined and is harder to find. Usually cast to order, Bars, Sheets, rods and pipe. but is the shiznit for a wear item. :nod and fun as hell to machine. like butter with a babys ass finish.
    Heres the catalog.;http://www.mcmaster.com/

Sorry, screwed the pooch on this one. PETA is a plastisizer, PET is a plastick.
    Rusty. it's been awhile and the real plastics guru friend is "unavailable"
  14. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,All.

I baught it in Japan.
    Carbon Tank Guard. It's so cool !

Attached Files:

15. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

16. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

17. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

18. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    AAAAAAAARH THAT'S FUCKING COOL!!!!

Where did you buy it??? I WANT EM!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  19. Hiroyuki

Hiroyuki Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    $36,750 JPY = $336 USD... plus shipping. Yeeeouch!

But they are cool. Check out this fellas web page; he linked it on the KTM adv owners plz sign in thread. Very nice! :thumb