How to protect KTM LC4 Adv without tank bars?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by QMan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Ah ha... I see Hiroyuki's already put his bitchin' guards up. Man those are nice! Time to start saving aluminum cans again :D
  2. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    Those carbon guards look nice but how do you get to the fuel tap?

By the way, Japan is one of my favourite places, I used to visit with work a lot some years ago and travelled the islands, so many clashes of culture but without fail some of the nicest people on this planet.

Girls are cute to.
  3. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please forgive my ignorance in matters KTM, but what is that aluminum tank lookin' thing in front of the shifter?
  4. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Looks like a custom rally skid plate/box. The KTM Rally version holds the mandatory water, and has a tool storage as well. (Now that I think about it, it may be the KTM version, as I do not think I have seen one from this angle before.)
  5. Alchemist

Alchemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  7. QMan

QMan prof. dirt mover

Oddometer:
    Nice... is it still available?
    I'd like it no my bike, coz the KTM Sommer thing is kinda small and too expensive for what it is.

Dosn't your toe-tip hit the back of that plate when you shift? It seems like there's not too much space :huh
  8. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    It must be the angle of the picture. There are no clearance/interference issues on either side. These rally guards/tanks were raced on factory bikes for years. No longer available from KTM, but they turn up for sale here and there from time to time. Search Thumpers for terms/words like KTM rally bash plate and lotsa related gab will turn up. :D
  9. G.Kennedy

G.Kennedy ...

Oddometer:
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I stopped by "Pacific Engineered Plastics" the other day. With me I had a bunch of photos of various bash plates and Hiroyuki's tank guards. They were very optimistic about being able to fab simular items. Now that I know they are willing to try this, my next step will be to bring them my gas tank to have the guards made. If all goes well (and doesn't make me to po') I will see what they can do with a bash plate. I also asked about chemical resistance. No problem. To me this means if they are really good they can make side panel gas tanks. I will be working out of town for awhile (back every 2nd weekend)so this will be a slow process.

Unfortunately, they were unable to give me a price for a one-of-costum-made guard. It seems I will have to take one for the team here.

Dirty
  11. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Ask them if you get a bunch of others to buy after they see yours if they will give you some kickbacks. They should. Custom plastics should be able to put some kevlar or other fiber in their plastics.

I vote for some type of CF/Kevlar guards like the Japanese ones. Maybe a little higher up on the RH side (dunno why its so low).

A feller in this forum named BigTwin made CF/Kevlar guards for the 950 for about the same price as the CF commercial ones; and people said they fit better and were much tougher.
  12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I will run that past them. Don't know if CF/kevlar will be needed, this ain't the same plastic used for barbie dolls. I will ask though.
  13. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    I'm the tree guy - I used Line-X, but most any spray-on truckbed liner will do the trick. You can either pull the parts & bring them to the shop, or buy the stuff from an auto-parts store. I know Trak Auto sells the same type of material you can paint/spray on yourself. Adds a bit of weight, but it's seriously bulletproof.

This is the tree crash thread - you can see how the stuff held up... (brown stain from the bark, but no scratches!!)

It should be known though that these tanks are seriously TOUGH! I left a good size dent in the Nissan's bumper & the only damage to the bike was cosmetic. The paint was chipped & that's about it.

It was this ride where I got hit by a Nissan that made me want to get the stuff. Nothing happened to the tank/faring when I hit the tree 'cuz I already had the stuff on there at that point (the headlight was another story...)

Pics of the parts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    That looks very very cool, in a Mad Max sort of way.
  15. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    here is my variation on Inte's (and some other's) theme...

[​IMG]

Working very well to date.

M
  16. quadzillabill

quadzillabill I know all the words

Oddometer:
    I'd rather just have metal bars like they make for the 950 than deface everthing with all that stuff. Doesn't anyone make crash bars for the 640 Adventure?
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    yes but they were recalled. Hepco Becker... bummer eh?
  18. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    As yes the old theme within a theme trick! Thats a pretty useful stand you've got there - what's the brand?
  19. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good, ese!

Have you described your airbox cover cover elsewhere? If I ever downgrade :D to new style side covers, I would like to do them in orange. Material?

I think your bikes look good all fuzzy. If a domestic match for my sexy blurple paint proves impossible to find, I may go that route. For now, wannabe Archie style covers the scrapes.
  20. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Just a standard motorcycle lift here in the states. I think this one came from Lowes (home improvement store) and is a Husky. I do not think it differs much at all from any of the others lke it...

Hope that helps.

M