How to protect KTM LC4 Adv without tank bars?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by QMan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Yeah dag, it's murder...
    [​IMG]

toxic road rash thread?

thanks for the loaner dag! Have you tested your setup? If you have then start a LC4 dB thread, or i will once i have tested mine so we can compare notes. I am arranging to have someone take it to vrago's next weekend if I am busy becoming a daddy :D
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    toxic road rash thread? gag,,,I meant on the bike not your knees damnit.

I got anywher from 98db to 101 but I have the 2" strait thrue superdupertrapp with the Flanny mods.
    I can get it down to 94db but it's alittle plugged up feeling with only 4 discs in and if I just putter around it's not bad. I just need to learn to stay off the pipe.:grin
    opened up on the freeway Methinksit'sabitLOUD but who rides around with it pinned all day, oops maybe I should refraise that. :lol3

remember check out in an open flat feild no where near any buildings and obstuctions or you will get a false echo reading. Middle of the nearest littleleague field should be good. :nod
  3. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a wrecked Adventure tank? If we can
    find one, I know somone that can mold the guards and
    make them for a considerably cheaper amount, say
    under 200 bucks like the japanese, but we need a tank
    for him to mold it, I'm thinking
    of searching dealers for a wrecked tank i can send him.
    ps: usualy he gives free to the donor of the part the CF
    product... the more of us that order the guards the cheaper
    the part is...
    Andrew
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    ATTENTION GREAT WHITE NORTH! somebody send your tank down for the winter... or maybe dirtrider has access to a tank for use as a mold?

Or if we band together to get the one off eBay (still under $100...) we could then sell it in the end to recoup the cost?!?

People what do ya say? :ear (I of course still have to ask the reasonable one in the family what I can invest but I bet I could do a little. With the 10-20 640 adv riders it should be cheap!
  5. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    How about titanium as a complete aside?? Maybe not a light as CF - but whatever one uses should have high resistance to abrasion especially when on road. It was originally applied to the aerospace parts in the 70s (or earlier?). Since then, cf has made its name in racing monocoque fabrication although under severe impact I believe it just fractures a bit like glass. I wonder how it performs under heavy abrasion? I feel the ability of a surface to resist abrasion would relate to hardness and titanium would surely have a much higher rockwell # than the epoxy gel used on CF. Anyone who's seen a BM Boxer post drop knows how substantial the effect is on those alloy rocker covers.

Fabrication could be straight forward using a bloody great hammer, some g clamps and a piece of shaped 4x2! (remember we are talking dirt bike based solutions here - I feel CF belongs on Sports bikes)

My 2 cents
  6. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:

why all the fuss. any halfway decent laminator can make a mold without hurting the tank. it's all in the prep. good old formula 5 mold release and a high gloss and you have the first half of the mold. then you need the true + mold which you don't need the tank for.

btw I would shy away from CF too other than for looks. It may be strong but it does not like impact or lateral load. CF/Kevlar weave would work and it comes black/ orange black/yellow black/red etc etc etc but it's cost is way WAY to much for a "disposable" part. would probably be almost as much as a new tank every time you busted one up.

Poly Plastics man, plastics is the way to go. Get a + /- mold and send it to a Vac. former and they can have 100 of them in a week. Cheaply too. the molds the real expense and most mold makers are over rated.
    We used to use a sheet of heavy 1/2 glass, hot glue gun and wood scraps to make mold halves. you'd be amazed what trash could go into making molds. :rolleyes
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    There was a post of polycarbonate guards for the tank recently (custom) that looked OK to me - I would like a bit different design. I would also rather not have clear.

The idea was CF/Kevlar guards, like the type BigTwin made for the 950. He mades those and sold them to AdvRiders within the 200 range and they were 6 plys - does that sound adequate to you dagwood? :ear It sounds like you have a good understanding of these different materials :thumb So somebody could have a mold made with theirs then send the mold to a fabricator to have the CF/Kevlar or poly guards made eh?
  8. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Screw it...let's do magnesium so when Meat lays it down at least we get a bitchen' shower of sparks :lol3
  9. GODSPEED

GODSPEED finger lickin' good

Oddometer:
    Hey ScarrJaw, I just happen to have an extra 01 tank sitting around, that I would love to send to him, especially for a free set of guards. :nod Maybe we can finally have the CF/Kevlar guards like BigTwin made for the 950. That would be sweet. :thumb
  10. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    :super

:freaky

make sure we get price for #s of units and can we get a peep about design? The Japanese ones don't come high enough on the left side... :rolleyes
  11. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    size on the side is changeable, but since the fuel petcock on that right side goes down and the japanese versions has protection on that side... The CF maker ultimatly would
    like a set of the japanese guards to copy.. if that dont work
    then we can send him a donor tank... Im betting that person
    can probably get free guards... for the use of their tank...
    but having the japanese with the extension would be the
    best....
    ide love to be able to make a poll to get an estimate on
    how many we can order, the more the better... ive emailed
    him what his estimate for the price would be... he also does
    diferent colored kevlar, yellow and red in the carbon at no
    extra price usualy...
    Andrew
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    andrew,

from the previous page:

:freaky

the extension cupping the petcock is a logical extension of the tank lines; I think it could be copied from pics from the japanese website and from some pics we could ask of Alchemist (Aussie) who bought a set.

I would start a new thread with all this info (head count, GODSPEED loaning the tank and gettin' free guards the lucky dog :bluduh :thumb, input on design requests, etc.) - maybe you could get your fabricator involved?

I bet Rad would be interested in this as he is over there in SC and has da bike. :nod
  13. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Alchemist

Alchemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do have a set and can take photos. In fact, after a recent serious tour, they fell off so I can take before and after shots, if you like.

As a Patent Attorney who spends his entire existance stopping people from copying others, can I suggest we improve on the japanese version rather than copy :evil

Give me an email to send the photos and I'll see what I can do over the weekend :thumb
  15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Can we go one step further and go with a titanium gas tank? And a big bore fusion kit to make them plutonium powered!

I will have a price and hopefully some pics next time I am in town of the guards I am getting built.
  16. Mattithyahu

Mattithyahu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bringing thread from the grave...

Can anyone tell me where to buy those carbon tank guards?? Do you use them in combination with some other protection? Some smaller crash bars maybe?

Thanx, BR
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    From the 640 thread index:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111303
  18. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Q man, have not read all the post but I know that chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com has just completed an updated version of his tank guards. They have a very good reputation for being top quality carbon fiber guards.

best of luck