1. eNewsletter Sign Up

How to replace starter sprag on KTM 950/990 (LC8) - write up

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by keener, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ElwoodBlues

ElwoodBlues Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But the lc4 housing is completely different right? Did you put it in unchanged, as is? If the the starter is spinning free then you probably put the ‘beans’ back in the wrong way if you did took it apart.

43BE0025-2EBB-4E94-A022-46503B8DDAA7.jpeg
  2. Unsquashable72

Unsquashable72 n00b

Oddometer:
    I didn't take the LC4 sprag apart as I didn't have an LC8 holder left as that completely fell apart, I put the LC4 sprag in with the circlip side of it facing towards the engine. Do you know if this is the correct way round?
  3. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    First of all I would fit a proper lc8 housing, you have to take it apart anyway.
    Second, if it spins, the ‘beans’ are probably installed the wrong way round.

I installed mine like in the picture.

12068F36-F7AB-4052-B2E6-F70F5D549548.jpeg
  4. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cant remember which way the clip went, just that it would only fit properly in one direction. Also, my starter gear (the piece those beans grab onto) was still in good condition. If that's all chewed up you'll need to replace it as well.
  5. Unsquashable72

Unsquashable72 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I have fitted the LC4 sprag as a whole as my housing fell apart, I have fitted it so the circlip is facing inwards to the engine but now just spins on the shaft? Is it a case ive put it in the wrong way round? On LC4 engines the sprag goes in the way I did it so im a bit confused why it hasn't worked? Any advice appreciated
  6. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    I was in the impression that a lc4 housing would not fit, I didn’t even try.

When you buy the lc4 sprag you need to transfer the beans and spring to the LC8 housing.

Also the beans have to be installed the other way round than they were installed in the lc4 housing, just install the beans in exactly the same way as you remove the old ones from the lc8 housing.

I guess this is because the starter of the lc4 is starting and freewheeling in a different direction due different sprocket set up (guess the engine turns in the same direction).
  7. Unsquashable72

Unsquashable72 n00b

Oddometer:
    Ive fitted the LC4 sprag as a complete unit, the first way round the sprag just span on the shaft, now I have installed it the other way the bike started first time then stalled, I went to start it again and the sprag is spinning on the shaft again. The couplings are worn on the flywheel side and the sprocket. Running out of ideas apart from thinking a big cash injection of £619 is required to renew everything. I bought this bike as a project but its turning into a money pit so i'm going to get rid of it as spares or repair!
  8. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Don’t give up so soon mate ;).

Sounds like you did put it on the wrong way round. You can test it by turning it by hand. Did it lock both ways round?

But still, just try to find a second hand LC8 sprag clutch (or new, reasonable priced on eBay) or a rotor with sprag attached, and than swap the beans and spring over. Did you make pictures of the sprocket on which the sprag clutch grabs onto? If this is worn, the thing will also fail.

95018551-531F-4F1E-B415-9440A2CB0583.jpeg E1A0CB34-9438-4F16-809D-7F906B52A3A2.jpeg
  9. Unsquashable72

Unsquashable72 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, both were pretty warn, although I don't know enough about the rest of the bike to spend £619 on parts, I also have 2 other bikes so think I'm going to put it on eBay at a starting price of £1500 as I feel it's going to cost me more than I want to spend
  10. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Your in the UK? Sounds like a challenging fun project. Any details about the bike, production year, mileage? Pics?
  11. Unsquashable72

Unsquashable72 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in Norfolk near Great Yarmouth, the bike is a KTM 950 adventure 2003 with I think around 26,000 miles, the body work needs doing and this starting issue, if your interested I will post some pictures as soon as possible
  12. ElwoodBlues

Oddometer:
    Ah ok I’m from the Netherlands so thats a bit too far (666km says maps :fpalm). Sounds like a Nice project though.
  13. cowells

cowells Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unsquashable pity I'm not closer to you as I'd come round and help. I'm in Glastonbury south west. If you're not going to bother doing any more work I might be interested in it.
  14. Norwegian Bear

Norwegian Bear n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    I have just done this job With my 2003 model. But my engine still spins out now and then, when I trying too starting it. When I did the job, I couldn`t see any wear on the other parts as the housing. I now think maybe there was a wear in the housing. Maybe this is why KTM only selling the sprag With the Complete flywheel? What are Your thoughts about this?

Bjørn