How to ruin your life: A Man, A Goat, and a KLR650.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Wichser, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So my initial plan of leaving out last week from Tennessee hit a couple of snags.

1. A vehicle I had listed for sale finally found a new home, in Seattle Washington... And being the reasonable guy I am, I agreed to deliver it for what he had received as quotes for shipping it.

So now my meandering won't begin in earnest from Tennessee as originally planned but from Anacortes Washington.

I was originally planning on heading most of the southern route of the TAT and trying to get out to Death valley before Lake Manly disappears again.

Given my new jumping off point and the excessive amounts of snow throughout the Midwest I'm going to had South back down to I-10 and I'll take I-10 to California and then up the coast to Washington State.

I'll be throwing my rig on a trailer and then just dumping the trailer in Washington, so if anyone in Washington wants a small utility trailer let me know. No reasonable offer refused.

2. @1956Kmack is buying a new bike in Atlanta and not from the area, he posted up about finding somebody local to show him around. and if it's one thing I'm good at it's being a decent wingman.

He seems like an interesting fellow and I really do want to try and put a few more miles on my set up before I head West and given my new plan of trailering to Seattle, my first opportunity will be three thousand miles from home. So I'm going to go ride around Georgia first.

I know it may seem strange to add completely irrelevant and unrelated couple of points to my itinerary, but this is what I'm planning on doing, hit the road, see what happens, find new and interesting people, and just generally go where the wind blows.

I won't ruin Kmack's surprise, but let's just say he's picking up a bike that I seriously considered buying myself.

I will probably trailer my setup down to Atlanta, leave it parked and ride around Georgia down to Savannah and then load back up and head out from Atlanta.
  2. 1956Kmack

1956Kmack Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm looking forward to our Saturday excursion. Thanks for the offer.

For anyone interested, the surprise machine we're picking up is a 2018 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled.
  3. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your rider gets down to New Orleans tell him to hit me up.
    Wichser likes this.
  4. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In
  5. markherman

Oddometer:
    Can someone tell me how to opt in
  6. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You only need to click on "Watch Thread"
  7. markherman

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  8. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm currently about a week behind my original intent, I wanted to be on the road by St Patrick's day.

Technically I'm still "working" on the bike, need to finish up a little wiring and electrical install, but otherwise I'm good.

[​IMG]

As I said, I'm being paid extra to deliver a car I sold, so it's 3k miles on a trailer first... Lame.

I will be unloading it in the morning to ride around Georgia, but for logistics, best to trailer down to Atlanta first.

I'll be sure to post more from the parking lot of a BMW dealer, I should be fine...
  9. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    I had a KLR once. I've no love for irrational and impatient people in the workplace and am paying close attention to your way out. The dark humor is a nice touch. Definitely in.
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I am dead nuts impressed with the amount of stuff you are attaching/piling on this bike,Im sure many are. Any chance of putting the whole thing with full tank on a truck scale for a weight check?

(getting something desperately needed out of the bottom of those tall skinny boxes..................hopefully the TP never ends up there)
    Dacquiri and Bigger Al like this.
  11. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    As a Tech for 29 years and counting I can relate to bailing out. Love your writing style, keep up the good work.
    Foot dragger likes this.
  12. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Was thinking the same thing. A cast iron skillet and a $50 tent from Cabela's--no way this should possibly end well, but my sense is that it will.

Totally in.
    Dacquiri likes this.
  13. Wichser

Wichser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell if I know, it's not enough to overload Eibach M3 springs on a BMW wagon.

Pic goes here*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*This should be animated, with some "Deal With It" so instead you get this (because trying to properly compose Vbulletin on a phone sucks)

[​IMG]

Haven't worked that out yet.:rofl

I did grab a hotel in Fort Smith AR mostly to avoid tornadoes, but I will use the time and space to reorganize, and finalize the pack now that I have everything from 4 different locations (intentionally being homeless is a motherfucker)

We all die in the end. Fuck it.

PS, if I don't make your mouth water with burritos from the middle of nowhere, I have failed anyway.

PPS, I brought the $20 tent from Walmart too, I may set them both up tonight for possible tornadoes and have a Battle Royale of shitty tents just for you.

------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

I'm about 1,000 miles into the trip west.

Details and pictures to come, but that depends on how much whiskey the bar keep sells me... (Edit, it's a lot. If you need a shitty dive bar in Fort Smith AR, I highly recommend the
    Foxfire Club
    423 N 10th St, Fort Smith, AR 72901
    (479) 555-1212
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/zn614

Shitty, dirty, and the bartender hasn't said no yet, my kinda place. See: Nikita's Playroom off I-85 in SC for the same reasoning.)

So far:

Atlanta/Savannah, slightly shitty and I feel like an asshole. I hope @1956Kmack is sleeping in his own bed. Badass Scrambler DS, I wish it was mine.

Alabama

Idk, I've been here before. Huntsville to LA, and most of the places in between, it was dark, I'm in a cage, no pics.

Around the bowl and down the hole, Roll Tide, Roll.

(Knoxville-ish remember?)

Mississippi

This part sucks, it's flat and flat.

[​IMG]

You have a nice welcome center, the "security guard" didn't mind me crashing on a picnic table.

Arkansas
    It rained on and off all day, caught this glimpse of the sun.

[​IMG]

And now I'm drinking under a tornado watch, why can't shit be easy?

Random gas station

[​IMG]
  14. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the 'tools of persuasion' on the fender of the trailer...drill and BFH...the question is, what was being reticent?
    :lol3
  15. digcolnagos

digcolnagos Bewildered

Oddometer:
    Please do. That would be effing hilarious. And tornadoes are, quite literally, overblown. Whenever the warning siren goes off here, everyone rushes outside to look for funnel clouds and watch the sky turn green. Gin-and-tonic is the beverage of choice for tornado veterans--it always turns hot and muggy when they're in the vicinity, so you need something cool and light to beat the heat and calm whatever nerves might exist. Hailstones aside, there isn't much to worry about, really, unless you're in a tent or on a picnic table. If you pass through central Illinois, you're welcome at my house. I have lots of gin, even if the tornadoes run out.
    Vandergraf, CharlestonADV and Wichser like this.
  16. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Wichser likes this.
  17. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    When do you expect to hit Anacortes?
  18. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese

Oddometer:
    Was wondering where you were gonna put the trailer, that roof situation is ingenious. I love the idea of a BMW wagon being your staging vehicle.
    Wichser likes this.
  19. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I would choose a 3 series wagon over any SUV any day. Attractive, functional and efficient. Not to mention a terrific road car.
  20. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nikitas was across town from me. They were shut down due to the girls being involved in prostitution and men fighting over the whores.
    Wichser likes this.