How to solve helmet hot spot problem

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by S21FOLGORE, Sep 7, 2018.

1. S21FOLGORE

S21FOLGORE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Helmet manufacturers don't recommend hanging your helmet on the mirror.
    So, I avoid doing that.

Here's Eric Estrada showing what NOT to do.

[​IMG]

They also tell you not to keep your helmet on top of the fuel tank (fuel filler cap, to be precise), for obvious reason.

I usually carry helmet with me, in "Japanese Police Motorcycle officer style".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(You have least amount of chance of getting helmet banging into your bike, cars, people, whatever around you.
    You have least amount of chance of dropping it.)

Sometimes, I have to leave it on the bike, ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

... but I don't do it often.
    (When I'm in the city of San Francisco, NO WAY I'm gonna leave my helmet on the bike regardless of the time. The helmet goes wherever I go.)
  2. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There, now you've restored your credibility. I saw the bar end mirror but it still looks like a mirror "hanger". Good job with this dual purpose solution.
  3. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I usually carry helmet with me, in "Japanese Police Motorcycle officer style".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my, how those Japanese Police motorcycle officers know Style!
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I stick my hand inside the helmet through the bottom, shield up, and hook my fingers through the face opening finger tips on the top edge of the opening. The inside of the chin bar rests on the back of my arm. Easy to carry that way.
  5. postoak2112

postoak2112 Javalina

Oddometer:
    i tried the dumbest solution first...i put 2 pretty wide band aide type strips across
    the front on the shell so that the liner squishes it between shell and liner. perfect.
    i have the Shoei spot too. no mas! fwiw, my old Scorpion was the best fit for my head.

marty
  6. ParleG

ParleG Novice

Oddometer:
    If anyone is looking for a very, very round internal helmet shape... Check out the Suomy Speedstar. After trying 10+ helmets (all for at least 1 hour, sometimes in excruciating pain), I can proudly say that I can wear the Suomy Speedstar all day. I was about to give up looking for a helmet that would fit my very round head.

I reached out to Bell twice for their custom fit helmet program which is now shuttered. I may pick up an extra Suomy Speedstar just to have around if needed in the future.
  7. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And that's how ya do it! Find the fit and stay with it.
  8. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit I Yam What I Yam

Oddometer:
    I've read this awesome thread a number of times but haven't seen my head shape addressed. So here's a challengs:

My head is shaped approximately like a loaf of Wonder Bread standing on end with my eyes about halfway up. Or maybe picture a shoebox on end with the corners rounded off. A long-oval Arai Signet X in size large with a 12mm liner gives me hotspots on the corners of my forehead while the chinbar sits so high that I have to tilt my head down to see the speedometer. I have lots of forehead. Back in high school, some folks called me "football head". I'm not quite struggling to peer over the chin bar, but putting more padding at the top doesn't seem like the best of all possible answers.

Any suggestions, including different helmets?
  9. halejl

halejl Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Do you know the CI for the for the current full Arai lineup for comparing different models?
    workerB likes this.
  10. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great article! Great art work!
  11. allknobs

allknobs n00b

Oddometer:
    Really informative write-up, thanks for putting all this effort in and keeping this up. I am a new rider and have a very similar head shape, circumference of 58 cm and 17 cm S2S and 19 F2B = 89. My head shape and characteristics are pretty much the same, I always also joke that I have horns in the back of my head.

Any recommendations for Helmets available today? Better yet, how did you determine the CI data for the helmets on section called Anatomy Lesson on 10/5/2018.

Thanks.
  12. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck with Shoei helmets for fitment. The last 2 were both RF1200 and comfortable right out of the box. I was in the market for a new helmet this year and wanted to try one of the modular helmets. I got a good deal on a Shoei Neotec II. Sadly I am having issues with it. The hot spot I am getting is by my left ear. It was so severe when I stopped to refuel recently I had trouble taking the helmet off because the pain was so bad. I am not sure why the RF1200 works fine for me but a Neotec II does not? Any thoughts or suggestions? The Neotec is very quiet and I like the features, but I am leaning towards selling it and just getting another RF1200.
    allknobs likes this.
  13. Sepooli

Sepooli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation S21FOLGORE. I dont think there has ever been an article this good explaining helmet fitment and head size! Let me know if you have any support page for donations as I know this took a long time to prepare.

I have probably went to to 3-4 different stores and tried 90% of helmets available here in Canada.

Finally I felt AGV k5s and HJC RPHA 11 were more comfortable than the rest of the other helmets. But HJC best fit. So I ordered the carbon fiber one (just came out) online and wore it for 45 minutes at home (by the way it is super light). But unfortunately my forhead gets red simirar to Fig13.B. According to revzilla rpha 11 is an intermediate oval, I feel there is still excessive pressure on front and back of my head, and may be a tiny bit of room on side. I really loved this helmet specially due to weight, but I could not clearly understand where to add padding? cause the hot spot at forehead is not pointy like one of your pictures, but it is like a ribbon all over forehead.

My head perimiter is 60 cm and and my CI is 0.77 :), my head is fairly long and narrow I guess. 210 lenght and 162 width.

I tried Arai signet X in L, but it was not comfortable at all.l it was so hard to put it on my head, and also my chin was hitting the front of the helmet. I could not find and XL to try tho.

I really appreciate your advise on this.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  14. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    This one takes more time to post an answer, so please give me a little bit of time.

Most helmets were mine I collected over the years.

I measured them with calipers. (Sculpture calipers)

I have one I bought from art supply store long time ago.
    I also have a couple of home made ones.
    I can probably make a video of how to measure the head AND the helmet internal.
    Let's see if I can do it this weekend.
    (I'm still working full time, and I'm trying to move this summer ... so I don't have a whole lot of free time.)
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  15. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
    CI 0.77 is long oval head ... and HJC RHPA 11 is intermediate oval, so the helmet isn't really the "right shape" for your head.
    That said, more and more helmet manufacturers are getting rid of "true" long oval head helmet.
    (They are all moving toward so called "neutral" "intermediate" shape. I don't know whom to blame, but that's the reality.)

Okay, I have to get back to work.
  16. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Jesus Christ. I try helmets on at the store. They fit or they don't or they nearly do. I have modified most of them by putting a bit of paper towel here or there. If we support the brick and mortar stores they can keep a decent inventory on hand.
    trumpet likes this.
  18. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Not to mention a much reduced chance of getting sold a counterfeit helmet.

Support your local Mom&Pop
    Eatmore Mudd and Beemeup like this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    :clap.
  20. S21FOLGORE

Oddometer:

So, you need sculptor’s caliper, to measure your head’s front to back,
    side to side.

Here’s how to make one, with (almost) ZERO budget.

Ingredients

Cardboard box from B&H
    (Any cardboard box will do.)

Gaffa tape
    (Duct tape can be used. But Gaffa tape is better.)

Bamboo chop sticks

Cloth clip

Tools
    Leatherman MUT
    (To cut down bamboo chop stick)

Hinderer investigator pen
    (Any sharp, pointy object will do)

Now,

You can measure your head,

And helmet internal.

[​IMG]DSC00177

[​IMG]DSC00175