How to tie off Ancra Cambuckle straps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Keithert, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mechanic buddy showed me a way to tie the end of a cambuckle strap in a way that made it harder for the cambuckle to come loose. He used a slip knot so that it could be easily released when I wanted. But I can't remember how he did it. Does anyone know such a technique?
  2. concours

concours WFO for 47 years

Oddometer:
    Genuine Ancra cam buckles do not come loose. The diamond shaped stipples penetrate the webbing, as designed. (the nylon stretches, so the strap gets loose.) Tighten after a couple miles. I use electrical tape to keep the tails from wind flapping my precious cargo.

And, today only, special sage wisdom for you all.
    Take the same roll of electrical tape and close the “S” hook, all of them. If you do this, and your truck/trailer hits the mother sized sucker bump from hell, you remove the very slight but-it-has-happened chance the S hooks will “unhook” themselves as your moto suspension bottoms as well.
    Your welcome.
    rufus, Boatman, DonM and 1 other person like this.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found when Ancra's get old they can slip. I thought they were worn out after 20 years. But, it was only that the pivot on the release was corroded and a little bit of WD40 fixed them right up. I'm still using my originals from 1973.

To prevent all my tiedowns from slipping, I put a loop around and under the buckle.
    Take the loose end and make a loop. Keep the ribbon flat and loop it around the tiedown and tuck it under the buckle and under itself making a simple slip knot. The end remains hanging out, you just pull it to release. Tucked under the buckle, it will jam the knot tight if the clamp slips.
  4. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much covered but yes I like to keep the length past the buckle completely parallel until passed through the metal loop, then tie it off. The technique here for trucker's hitch would work to tie off.
    DonM, anonny, Guano11 and 1 other person like this.
  5. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a similar note, My way of hooking to soft ties on forks , frame or bars. Don’t see how it could disconnect.

upload_2019-10-8_22-8-9.jpeg
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    ^ Not just like, but really like!
  7. MattLikeyBikey

MattLikeyBikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For sure. Soft straps can be scary. Nice technique.
  8. DonM

DonM Do-dah Do-dah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Photos or it can’t happen for me:confused
    Baroquenride likes this.
  9. concours

Oddometer:
    I think he means “lube the pivot pin/spring”

In the frozen North, snowmobiles, road salt, it’s a preventative maintenance thing.
  10. concours

Oddometer:
    No, but the other end of the strap can.
    rufus likes this.
  11. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I will wrap the strap through the hook loops if there is a lot of slack. Then I tie them off, by wrapping them around the straps until almost all wrapped up then I stick the end down through the last wrap and pull it up (or down) tightening the knot like a neck tie. It should keep the strap from pulling loose and it keeps the end from slapping around in the wind.