How to wrap your F800GS in Carbon Fiber......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 26, 2010.

1. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    How about building a Carbon Fiber Rack to show off the CF strength.

[​IMG]

Sargent has CF pattern material for seats if you want to go all the way.

[​IMG]
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my rack for just about anything.......That said....It would be scratched up pretty good. Another thing...... It is a lot more effort to make composite tubing.... So I think I will stay away from that one........
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would work...... But that material is really not meant for this application. It would work though....But I already made mine from SS.....:D

Erling
  5. duane5157

duane5157 duane5157

Oddometer:
    This is one of the best threads I have read. Thanks for the intro into cf. Duane5157
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Keystone

Keystone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other than expense and difficulty what are the drawbacks to using epoxy vs. poly? Between exothermic heat, toxicity, less strength, etc. there don't seem to be many points in favor of poly except that it's cheap and easy.
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even just 5 years ago epoxy was not what it is today. One of the main issues I had with epoxy was the clarity.... Or lag there off. There now are a few of them that get`s very close to the polyesters I use. The max-clr hp from polymerproducts is one of them. Another one is the uv inhibitor......In general I see the polys with them holding up better in the sun......so most of the time....when using epoxys you need to add a uv barrier on top...... That can be done as simple as buying a $5 can of clear spray lacquer. Epoxy flexes by far better....wheras polyester is harder....and tend to spiderweb crack when bend. Just a few.... I find myself using epoxy`s more and more.....

Erling
  9. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well my materials came in yesterday. :clap
    I plan on fabricating an ignition cover for my ST3 this weekend. If I'm successful, I'll post pics.

One question Ebrabaek, do you wear a mask when you mix the resin?
  10. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    I guess you are right. I remember in the 90s mountain bikes had carbon fiber handlebars. Then they disappeared. I heard after X amount of flexes they cracked/broke.
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    No..... Although one should not sniff this.......It is quite harmless, and I just recommend to make sure the work area is ventilated.....Like open the garage....etc.....You will be ok. May the force be with you..... Please post it....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    My all mountain bike actually have a CF handlebar on it......I`ve tried to destroy it many times....but no luck so far.... That said.....Back when they started....as you correctly noted.... in the early 90`s.....an awful lot of them...and seat post literally exploded.....Can you just imagine.....:eek1..
    The polymer technology has come a long way in the last 5-10 years.

Erling
  13. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ebrabaek:

MEKP is the hardener for the Silmar 249 and it comes with a serious health warning. According to the literature if you get it in your eyes it blinds you. Get it on your skin and it burns you. Breath it and it dissolves your lungs!
  14. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:

So, are you suggesting it is bad? :evil

Do we need fully contained hazmat suits, with air supply and the whole kit?
  15. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell, read the warning label on contact cleaner or brake cleaner. It will scare the stew out of you.:eek1 I'm just trying to find out from someone with experience just how bad this stuff really is.
  16. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    True.....but we were discussing epoxy here..... As far as polyester....Which I have not covered in my threads here on adv......yep..... That stuff you need to have good ventilation. Styrene poisoning is very bad......It`l give you a high....ohhh...well... never mind. Disclaimer.....
    ANY POLYESTER RESINS USED.....MAKE SURE YOU WORK IN WELL VENTILATED AREAS...... When I use it.... I work with an open garage.....and under a 200 cfm exhaust fan. In case of epoxy....... The stuf featured in this thread.... is actually food grade when hardened...... Like I said earlier.... they have come a long way.

Erling

Edit..... I sometimes loose track of what I used and where..... Silmar 249 have been discussed here and was used to make this piece.......... Sorry for the confusion......
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok ...perhaps I misunderstood you.... Did you get the silmar (polyester) or max-clr ( epoxy).....?? If you got the polyester..... Then just open your garage....... If you have a small fan......position it to draw in fresh air. If no fan.... Work at the opening of the garage..... The big thing here..... Don`t stand with your head over the piece your working..... If you got the polyester......they don`t like to catalyze while in a breeze.... It will create an un even surface.....sort of like small ripples. If you got the epoxy......have a beer and mix away.

Erling
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it appears some of you are using polyester, and some epoxy. I have switches mostly to the polymerproducts epoxy's. The workings of the 2 materials are vastly diferent. I love the clear transparency of the silmar 249.....It also stands up awesome against uv bombardment....( see the pictures of "darth Vador" in the beginning of this thread..... That is after 3 years in the desert southwest....we have lots of egg baking sun here.....No coating on the top....Just resin. Expect gel time of 15 minutes at 85 deg.F....But always run a little test batch.... Varies with temperature. The epoxy`s have longer working time....up to 2 hrs. When I use the polyesters....I open the garage.....use a circulating fan....or the exhaust fan..... No need to open the garage with the epoxy`s. Use nitrile....or latex gloves.....with both resins....... If you get a headache with the polyester resin.... Go out in the fresh air and have a beer. Generally speaking.... I will tell people to use epoxy...if they can afford it..... Your spouse will give you less trouble.....I can attest to that ....But that`s just me...

Erling

Erling
  20. Nictrolis

Nictrolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might help to have a respirator - one of the ones with the cartridges on it, not a silly paper mask. That should at least make it a little easier to work in the area while not blowing a fan on the workpiece, though I'd still keep some decent air flow in the room.