How to wrap your F800GS in Carbon Fiber......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is great..... I am in socal.... Leaving in one hr..... So watch for the fairing to redraft in the next few days.
    :thumb :thumb

Erling
  2. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My hat is off to you, Erling. I tried to do a layup for the key guard on my ST3 and it whipped my ass.

To begin with, I could not get an even coat of resin on my original, it was too slippery and the resin just flowed off. Then when I finally said, hell just try and stick it on, the resin wasn't all that sticky and as a result, the CF didn't adhere to all the edges. Basically, it was a mess and I threw it away.:cry

Do you have any suggestions?

... FatDog
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh my.....:cry...... First thing.....I know you got bitten.......But fear not...there is hope.... No really....You have gotten over the first and biggest hurdles...... The start.... You decided to try it.... And that`s where most have already given up. That said.... We will now go from here. Post a picture of the piece you are doing. But to answer a few of your questions.
    When things go..... ehhh.... south...... Many times you are best off by letting it set. When done...even though it`s crap.... All of it...including the resin comes off, whereas you need to make a mess wiping the resin off with acetone...:D.....
    Post a few pictures, and explain what you did.... You will be pointing in the right direction very soon....Buy hurry... Week-end is coming fast..... One.....must....be.... ready......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  4. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Erling:

I was referring to the first layer. I'm going to try doing a layup on a much simpler piece. I'll post some pics later in the week.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see.......What is happening is the tolerance of the resin and wax. You brush it on (resin) then in a matter of minutes......the resin runs and creates voids. That is due in part to the hostility between the wax and resin. This is an issue with polyester resins only. Epoxy fairs better. Suggestion.... Instead of....or after waxing try the parafilm spray. That tends to minimize it..... If you already tried that.... Then skip the wax.... and give it a few extra layers of parafilm... Remember.....thin apps please. Also..... You brush the first layer on...then let dry.....even if yo have voids.... They will be erased with the second of if need be.... third layer. I take it you are making a mold..... If you only replicate...( just laying the CF on top of the original piece) Then you have no worries..... Even with voids on the surface......the resin will still hold on to the cloth when tacky....
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  6. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate your help and advise, Erling.

.....FatDog

P.S. Does Parafilm every completely dry or does it always feel a little greasy?
  7. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The parafilm has a slight " oily" surface, and if you keep brushing the resin on....it is possible that you could disturb, and collect more parafilm in small areas, creating more voids.

Are you suggesting that I brush on a layer of resin and not apply the carbon fiber but instead just let the resin dry and then apply a second coat with the carbon fiber pressed onto it?

No..... I thought you were making a mold....when you mentioned the situation. The one thing that will make for a funny afternoon, is to try to cover crazy angles with anything over 3oz CF...... So perhaps you chose a not so good piece for your first project......But I wont know until I see the pictures. Here is what I think you should try. Cut out a piece of cf cloth.... Take your piece needing to be replicated..... Lay over the cloth....and see how it follows the edges..... You can get it to follow nicely...even on large angles..... Unless they are square. When you lay it over.....pay attention to the fibers..... If they are "popping" out off alignment when you make it conform with your hands..... then your in over your head, and you will need to vacuum bag it, or create a double side mold. But in all honesty....I have created several pieces, with funky angles...... Then you wax twice.... If you feel lucky you can try to skip it, and just use the parafilm......The moment you break the piece off after hardning..... The inner plastic flexed....outer polyester not.... and the pieces split....and you have a beer.:D....... Then after waiting 30 minutes for the parafilm to dry..... Brush resin on lengthwise......then cross wise ( 90 deg. angle to your last strokes).... Don`t touch it........ ( and off course no surface wax either).... Even if the voids materialize.....leave it..... Wait for it to tack....test ever few minutes....... Remember...this is 249.....when it gells.....it gells. not a slow transition....... When no resin comes off the piece on your finger while testing.... Start in one corner....lay up the cloth...massaging in into each corner, and angle..... Note....it does not stretch.....so be careful and work from one end til the other....... That should do the trick....even with voids....
    Repeat procedure with each layer........ Since the second layer has no wax.....it`l work beautiful...... Keep it up....don`t loose hope.... A few tricks....and your there....:thumb:thumb

Erling

Ps.....don`t get in a hurry.......laying it down.... When you found the right tack level.... it`s like fly paper.....and you usually have another 5-10 minutes of work time before ......ehhhh..... no tacky.
  8. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent advise, Erling. I know understand what you mean when you say "tacky."

My next attempt will be much simpler than my first. I'm going to replicate a set of add-on aluminum case covers. It shouldn't be too difficult. The covers are just round, relatively flat pieces of aluminum.

Wish me luck:lol3
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.... Now with your understanding of what went wrong.... I`m sure you will ace the next one..... Do post it though....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
    Erling,

Do you recall where these switches were sourced?

Thanks.

11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Sutherngintelmen

Sutherngintelmen around the bend

Oddometer:
  13. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers.... They are great...... :thumb:thumb

Erling
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    If this was covered in this thread; forgive me I missed it;

How do you clean the parafin/wax off the original piece when done?

:freaky
  15. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good catch.... It was not covered.....:thumb... This piece was made with some left over polyester resin.....Unlike the release agent for epoxy which dries to a film like texture of 1/1000`s mm thick.... The release agent for polyester is a thin urethane membrane.......kind of like if you wax the original piece with a thin layer of butter...then wiping most of it off...... Essentially ....there is nothing left when you pry the pieces apart.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  16. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must try this....
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    If I had time this thread could have saved me lots of money :eek1

My bike as it is now:

Carbon windscreen, front fork protectors, rear fairings, swing arm shields, clutch cover and generator cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appreciate your efforts in this thread.. .next winter when time allows I'm going to pull my Safari tank shields and try and reproduce them in CF.

:freaky

p.s. I also did my glove box cover in FX-Carbon - I need to redo it when time allows too. :deal

[​IMG]
  18. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice....... How is the finish holding up????? These things tend to get.....ummm..... scratched a lot...:D

Erling
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    That's what they're there for :D

On my Husqvarna I've beat the hell out of my swingarm.. all kinds of dents & gouges. $2000 for a new one. The guards on my 950's swingarm are taking a beating instead of the swingarm. I'd much rather replace the guards then the arm. :thumb

[​IMG]
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3.... absolutely...... You got some nice angles there..... Did you mold the stockers..... The corners are very shark.......which is time consuming.....:freaky The 950 swing arm cover.....nice idea...... The more I look at my bash guard.......with the kevlar starting to show....the more I like it.....

Erling