How to wrap your F800GS in Carbon Fiber......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 26, 2010.

1. tmotten

tmotten Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer:

Again thanks for putting this up with this much detail and for helping me out before giving me some perspective. For me these posts are like research papers. :clap
    How do you make sure you can pull the part of the plug/ mould with those straight angle lips on the edges? Particularly when you have a 3-5mm thick laminate, I’m imagining that there isn’t too much flex in it and I’m always stressed about 90 degree release angles.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The Parfilm seems to leave a much nicer texture than PVA seams to, or is that the picture? Sadly as with so much stuff, it’s not available in Australia it seems. The ebay shop I found only ships to certain US states as well. :cry
    Thanks for the link to the switches as well. Like the look of those.<o:p></o:p>
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This piece was made with polyester resin..... Just because I had some left over....... With epoxy....and the parting film..... They separate easy because they are seperate pieces.... With polyester..... Different story..... I use small wooden keels..... soft plastic strips.....moving the strips in between the mold and piece.... I will admit to a few pieces destroyed over the years.......but epoxy is a walk in the park......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  3. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    i have a quick question for you about the mold release.......both the epoxy and poly get 5 layers of wax on the mold or plug. can PVA or PARAFFIN spray be used for epoxy? or is the parifin spray only for poly resins.

thanks for any advice...i am putting together a material list as i type:clap:clap:clap
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The parafilm...... I`m thinking you mean....rather than parafin.....:D is for polyester. The equipment for the two types are not usually interchangeable. I usually ask the vendor I buy the material from..... You see....when it comes to polyester resins.... they don`t behave all the same..... Some like this parafilm....some like other brands.... So the vendor usually knows what works with their individual type of resin. I use only two vendors..... uscomposites.com for polyester and Cloth.... and polymerproducts from their ebay store. The latter being a division of a much larger company....that just happens to sell it for less at ebay. So in short ...the pva dries to a very thin membrane that separates the two materials. it dries to a dry finish. The parafilm is like a sort of oily spray that prohibits the polyester to grap the material.... Dries to a tacky surface. Fire away Doug ...... That`s what this thread is for......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  5. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    hey Erling, check this out.......

i ordered my resin and mold release this morning on ebay from polymerproducts. well, come to find out, there are about 20 minutes from me. so i called em to see if they could "will call" my order....instead of paying the shipping:evil hehe. they said no problem.....then i asked if i could talk to a tech while i am there. i explained this will be my first time with composites, and they said no problem, gerald would be happy to meet with you. cool eh? so im gonna head out there in about an hour.:clap:clap:clap:clap

thank you so much for the push......into composites...... i have so many projects i want to dooooo!
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers....... Say Hi to Gerald from me. He is a great man.......:clap
    :thumb:thumb

Erling
  7. fenske

fenske Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey f8 pilot, by the way it should be f12 pilot now.... i have a new triple black f8 and the gloss panels byh the gas tank would look good with that product. how would it fit? where do i get it?
  8. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would love to get some advice: I have a carbon engine protector that has been used... :muutt

Now it is scratched and a bit dull. Replacing is an expensive thing, so I am wondering if this can be restored to it's original shine...:ear. Will sanding and a clear uv coating be enough?

Thank you very any hints or tips!
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a good thread to cover this in.... First.... Post a few pictures..... and the material its made from... Like epoxy...or polyester....and we will go from there. Most can be fixed... specially if it is only scratched.... I'l show you how to make it look like new.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool ebrabaek!:clap
    Oke, their it goes http://www.flickr.com/photos/79024599@N07/. (uploading into this forum is not allowed anymore:eek1)
    It is mostly scratched, but their is a little loose sliffer (? or thingie, I am not a native writer)

...and it is a BMW part: abdeckung nr 71607709405 (does this help?). I am still trying to find out if it is epoxy or polyester on the web. Is their a way to test/know if something is epoxy or polyester? Does it "hurt" mixing the two?

Anyway I looking forward to go on with this little project and learn!

Thanks!
  11. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK.
    All looks good according to the pictures. Are there any areas that when you push on the Carbon fiber that it feels like it is bending???? If not... all you need to do is sand the areas smooth starting with a 220 grit sand paper.( not sure how you classify this number in your country, but I would say a medium) and then work it towards a very fine sand paper.... I start with 220.....then a 600... then 2000. The 600 and 2000 is wet sanding.... All you are trying to do is to smooth the big scratches out. Then you just cover it with a layer of epoxy, or two. The epoxy will automatically level itself.... Kind of like syrup on a pancake. Then give it a layer of clear lacquer to protect it from UV rays.....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  12. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:

Oke will do so, I will update this post with pics when ready!
  13. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/79024599@N07/7140021423/in/photostream

Went shopping...

Just one question before I continue.
    I understood adding multiple layers of epoxy can be done in two ways: every couple of hours (with the epoxy still being sticky) or after complete drying and sanding of the epoxy.

Which method do you prefer and why? is their a difference in the end result?
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see how that turns out....:thumb:thumb

Erling
  15. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and your other projects are also fine. I hope I am not pushing the limits of your kindness but I wonder this:

Is there anything you can do to save ypurself the trouble of driling or cutting airducts to an epoxy or cf making process? I mean I want to try and bult a cf skid plate but I want it to have big air stream holes and vents and I guess that it would be pretty hard to drill and cut through 3 layers of cf.

Have you tried anything like putting pieces of lets say styrofoam or something where the bolt holes or the cuts should be?

Thank you for your time.

PS: Me thinks the resin industry should sponsor you and your bike, as a small thank you for all the people that you turned to cf!
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great words.....:freaky...There are a few reasons you don't leave the voids exposed... One is that every time you cut the CF you disturb the fibers.....sort of messing up the pattern.....and also you are stressing it around the holes, so the conformity to the mold is not good. The great thing is.... It is really easy to drill through......as long as you follow a few directions. Start with a tiny drill and work yourself up in a few mm increments.....Even with kevlar......It truthfully is the easiest part of the whole cast. You see.... the composite matrix resist puncture, and is very stiff....... but scores.....and drill with ease...... but try to bend it....break it..... You better bring beer......and lots of it.:D When you start....send me a pm with the link.....so I can follow and help.......
  17. Barbadi

Barbadi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My project will have to wait a bit sisce I decided to set up a small motorcycle workshop in the garden shed, and I 'm still working on it. When I finish it my first project will be cf experimentation and the we will talk! :evil Thanks again.
  18. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Have you found that the carbon fiber goo sticks to fairing type hard motorcycle plastics better than or about the same as fiberglass resin type goo?

Im doing a fairing repair, and considered for a minute here that carbon fiber placed behind the repair may be stronger and thinner than a fiberglass patch..... and I am curious about the bonding comparision. I would be finishing the pretty side with conventional body filler and primer-surfacer then paint, and thought here that carbon fiber may have a repair quality that we (body techs of the 1970's) have not considered?

Apologies if this was already covered. I'm old, tired eyes and all., :puke1
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely......:thumb.... I think the MC garage shop could double nicely as a Carbon generating station as well..... When ready ...of course.:D:clap
  20. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The resins "Goo..:D" is really not Glass...or CF specific. But many refers to polyester resins...( the nasty smelling stuff) as glass resin....and epoxy as CF resin. Most of the time Polyester is used with glass, and Epoxy with Carbon Fiber..... But theoretically they can be used with either. Epoxy has polyester beat in all corners......with perhaps the exception of price....... I would not have said this 5 years ago. But with out going into a lengthy discussion with the two..... You are looking to bond a new matrix to plastic you said. The usual soft plastic these bikes have on them will make it very hard to bond anything. Generally the more polypropylene like it is...like the softer the plastic..... the harder will it be for anything to bond....over time..... On the other hand.... polyester could melt it..... So here is what you should do. Trial and error..... what ever resin you decide to use... Try to bond a little piece on the back side..... wait a day to see if it sticks. If you use polyester.... mix a tiny batch of resin..... spill a drop of it on the back side.... see if it is damaging the plastic..... If by any chance it is made from Fiber glass..... stick with fiberglass to minimize the thermal heat expansion difference between the two materials. Epoxy will bond on to old polyester.....polyester will usually NOT bond to old epoxy. So in short...try to use epoxy over polyester... Lets go from here.....Pictures would help as the repair gets going. This thread is perfect for this......:clap