How to wrap your F800GS in Carbon Fiber......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by ebrabaek, Jul 26, 2010.

1. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Damn, you got the big brain I must say.

You summed up the diff from 'glass to CF in short order, sir. Perfect.

I will pull the fairing uppers I am trying to reinforce, someone else said I may get "identifiers" or numbers in some arrangement or icon that may tell the tale of it's plastic or ??? origin.

I hate to stink up your forum, but I am working on a 2009 KLR :puke1

I know, it's farm machinery, but it suits my personality. I will document my progress and experiences.... and have a look at the CF product for this. Glad I came here to ask. This topic rocks.

thanks
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is all good.....as this thread is perfect for this..... If it is a stock KLR fairing....then I think it will be hard for anything to bite..... But only way to know is to try. If it does not work..... You could copy the whole thing as I did in this thread......with CF..... that way...if you have the time... you would end up with a great piece......
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I did consider that-- wrapping the whole darn upper.... the upper bits not all that huge, it would be managable.... and with a KLR you get that built in thing about "oh, it's a KLR, who cares thing" if it ends up looking "unique" or baad. :evil
  4. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the klr is a great bike.... But due to my riding profile chose the DRZ instead...... Fellow fri d of mine ride a klr..... One of the biggest mc succes stories. If you do decide to give it a go..... Send me a link where you post the build, as I'm fraid that if goes in here this thread would be moved to the general purpose section. I will gladly help with any composite build..... I once made a full airbox cf build for a Yamaha Zuma scoot..... No rides will ever bother me... :)
  5. hawideri

hawideri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Update, have spend some rainy evenings on my carboncovers... i am quit pleased on the end result. However, i do see some airbubbels at the surface. Most bubbles disappeared during dry period, but apperantly not all.
    Any ideas to best tackle this?
    Sanding/ polish?
    Repainting ( how to i prevent the bubbles a second time?)

Anyway, they are good to go, but could be cool looking to if i can tackle the bubbles issue.

Thanks for your tips so far. I will post some pics later!

Cheers
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see some pic's..... with the bubbles visible...:D.... An old trick... ha-ha.... acetone breaks the surface tension in the epoxy resin..... so on top coat....if there are still stubborn bubbles.... use a sprayer filled with acetone....and give it a few squish...... But let's see a few pictures first..... I'm sure it can be fixed.
  7. Fishenough

Fishenough Team Lurker

Oddometer:
    Erling, I'm a big fan of your projects.

One project suggestion I like to see you take a whack at; a custom, carbon fiber, chain cleaner. Maybe a two piece, wheeled brush, oil containing contraption that encloses the chain well cleaning it with little mess.

Cheers!
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha-ha..... That would be the ticket..... But I think that's when they invented pressure plastic molding.....:D:lol3
  9. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the great thread!

I would love to embark on a CF copy of the Desertio 3 fairing from touratech.. (but hopefully a little better )

Would you suggest using foam or clay to mould it up? Would you use parafilm or wax over the clay/foam before laying the first layer?

Thanks Heaps! :D
  10. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use either foam or epoxy clay..... But the Clay is much pricier, where foam is cheap....easy to work with, and if you dont like it...just make another plug. The parafilm/wax combo used in the beginning of this thread is for polyester resin. You should consider using a high quality epoxy, as is in modern day has polyester beat in all corners....except for the price. The release agents for epoxy is different than for polyester, thus the pva release agents for epoxy dries to a thin membrane, that separates the two pieces. So a short lecture .....very short indeed...on copyrights. You buy a piece....like the D3 faring... you are allowed one copy, as you are allowed to copy a cd for your own household's consumption..... But you may not benefit in a sale of said product. So plan to keep it. Again I am not trying to lecture you in what to do. I do make prints myself.....for my own "consumption" This is the law in the US....Not sure what it is in the land down under....:D All that said. Have a look at my other fairing thread. I would proceede like such.....sculpting, and shaping the foam into place.....and then cover it. If the plug is all foam.. It really does not matter if you use mold release, as the epoxy will grab into the pores of the foam, and you subsequently destroy the foam with jack hammers and chisels during the release.....:lol3
  11. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:

That looks Fantastic, sorry if I've missed it but are you planning on doing any of the other panels?
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks...... At this point I am not quite ready to give it the Darth Vador look as My DRZ....:D.. I really like the contrast with the yellow bumble bee..... So this is where it sits today

[​IMG]

I might add a few pieces like a new fender/beak combination....etc... But I think I will leave the bumble yellow alone for now.....
  13. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Carbon really does go well with the Yellow, definatly looks good in place of the black plastic bits.

following with interest.
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeppers...... That's what i am thinking.... perhaps some of the black plastic will slowly be replaced.....With the other black....:D
  15. speed_racer

Oddometer:
  16. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Very interesting
  17. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've followed this with interest. Just some quick questions, how fuel proof is carbon fibre, or even fibre glass for that matter? I know fibre glass has been used for fuel tanks in the past, but it was prone to damage. How does CF stand up by comparison?

I'm thinking of a mould of the the entire "tank area" of the F800, radiator shrouds and all, and then using that as the base for a tank with loose mat around the edges for the join. Probably use a second moulding done in 2 halves with some loose mat for a join in the centre and around the edges, if you follow. Basically create a thin tank shell in the shape that will fit, and once all joined together, sanded then neat layers over the top to give it the smooth finish.

A fairly complicated process I suppose, but I did a lot of basic fibre glass work years back.

thanks.
  18. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    I don't think its the carbon fiber or fiberglass that holds up to the fuel, its the resin and from what I have seen, they both use the same resin. Perhaps you need to use a certain treatment resin on the inside of the tank?
  19. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was wondering. But the hydrocarbons would still penetrate the resin to some degree. I'm wondering if that will cause issues with the carbon fibre.

I know that the fibre glass tanks I've seen have some degree of brittleness as a consequence of holding fuel over time.

I'm interested in this for several reasons. But making extra fuel capacity for my bike is foremost.

I was going to finally buy myself a TIG and just fabricate an alloy tank, but this CF thing has me intrigued.

Besides, I'm sitting around home while my shoulder reconstruction heals, I'm bored out of my mind with no spending money. Alloy is expensive, so are TIGs. this seems like a viable alternative.
  20. speed_racer

Oddometer:
    I was curious myself so I googled n found your answer.. You need to use "vinyl ester" that is a resin which is impervious to fuels..

http://www.epoxy.com/vester.htm

:D