Howling at the Moon Dual Sport Oct 23/24

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Nightstalker, Jun 14, 2010.

1. airgord

airgord What am I doing out here! Supporter

Oddometer:

It's just 'sport' for him, I don't even think he was breathing hard anywhere during that ride! Nice guy though and glad to see him coming out again.
  2. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    Oh man I just finally got around to looking at that B Loop Preview and I am so freaking excited! :ricky

Are there any slower riders on the B Loop I could maybe chill with? I don't have a gps and I am proficient at getting lost...I like to call it adventuring off the beaten path...

I do have a SPOT at least! :lol3
  3. airgord

Oddometer:
    Becky, tag along with the group I'm in, we won't leave you out there! Do you have a rollchart holder?
  4. Becktastic

Becktastic Bonzai Becky

Oddometer:
    I don't have any such fancy things...I do have a compass velcro-ed to my handlebars that seems to point anywhere but north...hanging with you would be great. :)
  5. Twentyniner

Twentyniner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will there be roll chart holders available for purchase at the event? I'll be doing the "B" route since my ankle is still a little jacked from the broken leg back in July. Also is anyone camping, and if so, which campground?
  6. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

hi todd, i'll give you a call before we get to prescott. i will feel better if we can hook up with you and other ADVers on Friday night at the elks lodge.

we're also interested to ride with fellow inmates and follow someone who did the B-loop from previous years. i'm a descent rider, not fast but i take pics and video to make up for it...:evil
  7. airgord

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in the original confirmation letter they mentioned if you wanted a rollchart holder to let ATR know and they would order on request and you could pay when you registered.
    There *might* be rollchart holders left over so I would email the organizers to find out.
  8. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Yes, there will be appoximately 15 "Countdown" rollchart holders for sale at the event at $30 each.

For those who ordered a rollchart holder during online registration you may pick them up when you check-in Saturday morning or Friday evening at the ATR Camp on the East side of the Elks Lodge.
  9. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    i think i need to reserve one of those fancy roll holder things. i've got a roll chart set aside, but with only 15 holders available, i figured i'd reserve one. looking forward to this! i was right, too. this week is dragging.
  10. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband

Oddometer:
    What do we need to mount the roll-chart holders to our bars?
  11. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would guess a couple hose clamps?
  12. yzfcathy

yzfcathy Weeble

Oddometer:
    I am bringing a roll chart that I used last year at Payson.
    It will be for sale if they run out of their supply.

I'm attempting to load tracks (as opposed to Routes) on my GPS. I just learned routes, still working on tracks.

I tried using that roll chart last year and found it was difficult to keep track of it while on the move. No one wanted to stop and wait for me to roll that toilet paper up to the proper page. I just followed the guy in front of me until he was out of sight then I would follow the next guy to pass me...and so on and so on.

I'm riding Orange, and I wear bright Pink HELLO KITTY moto gear. You can't miss me.
  13. airgord

Oddometer:
    I had both last year and couldn't keep up with either but we were riding with a full on GPS nerd who knew exactly where we were down to the yard, so he led!
  14. Fastphil38

Fastphil38 AZ Offroad

Oddometer:
    Hey Air, Looking forward to see you @ the Moon ride. Ride On! Phil
  15. phxman

Oddometer:
    The rollcharts come with a hose clamp setup. Just bring a flathead screw driver and you are good.
  16. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Tracks are way easier than routes!

Just load them up and be sure to stay on the green, blue, or red line! It's that easy!

17. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I should be there by 4:eek:o or so. Cell will be on...you can find me out by the trailers with a cold beer in hand.
    I'm going to run the A loop Saturday...if I survive likely the B loop sunday.
    I know some other inmates doing the B loop saturday...They love having more victoms to torture ...I mean ride with. :D
  18. airgord

Oddometer:
    See you then Phil!!
  19. downhiller

downhiller n00b

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to run this event with no GPS or roll chart? I was assuming with 200 riders I could just follow the leader more or less.

I figure worst case scenario if I get lost I could just head due east and eventually I'll hit the 69 or I-17 :)
  20. phxman

Oddometer:
    Definately possible. I'm sure there will be groups willing to have you join them. Just be honest with folks about your abilities so you can find a good fit.